South Africa east coast treasure hunting adventure 2013

beachdude

Elite Member
I am back in South Africa for another 3 months and this time I know a little bit more about metal detecting than I did at this time last year. I came down with my Stavr Scoop, my White's Dual Field, and also an Excal II. I aim to hunt the coast from Port Edward (near where I am currently located) on the South Coast, all the way up the North Coast to Balito. This is the Indian Ocean side of South Africa which has the warmer water and the swimmers.

Been here 2 weeks so far, but the first week was pretty much taken up by home repairs here. My place is on the sea and I have learned that things don't have to be in the ocean to rust and decay. A more general blog thread of my adventures here can be found on my site TRIBE here (admin, I hope it is OK to post this):

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/...reasure-along-south-african-coast-2013-a.html

It is more explanatory for people who aren't detectorists so they can understand what I am doing.

I am going to post some of my finds in this thread on the Friendly forum with pictures as I work my way up the coast.

So far, most of my nearby beaches appear to be sanded in, except for one, Silver Beach, which has had tons of sand scooped away by a rotating current that is cutting away the beach and dumping the sand in a big flat sandbar just offshore.

Last year I had a lot of trouble hunting this beach with a BHID 300 because of the high titanium content in the sand (ilmenite). This material is swirled into the beach sand; in many places it is really dense and in other places it is very thin, and a BHID didn't like it at all. I ended up ordering a Dual Field and had it shipped down to me last year and it cut through the black sand like a hot knife through butter.

I had no idea how an Excal would perform on this beach, but the Excal seems unaffected by the ilmenite. Perhaps it is the smaller DD coil (I am using the 10" model), or the slightly different technology, but there doesn't seem to be any falsing at all.

Here are some photos of the beach and how much cutting occurred within a week.

Two weeks ago:

silverbeach_cut1.jpg

Last week:

silverbeach_cut3.jpg

I dug a lot of coins out of this beach and 2 gold rings over the period of a couple of weeks. A 9k wedding band:

gold2013_01.jpg

and this terrific 18k gold wedding band from the UK just loaded with hallmarks:

gold2013_02.jpg

Nearly all the coins are crusty, rusty, and modern and only about 50% of them are spendable.

Last year I had some luck at another beach up the coast in Ramsgate, but it is sanded in.

ramsgate2013.jpg

There is a chest deep trough right in the water right at the bottom of that slope and I tried hunting that for a while but there is a wicked rip current flushing it out and I could hardly stand upright. Hunting any forther out the waves are too big to deal with. They completely knock you over and it would be impossible to postion a scoop over a target.

I did find a nice silver ring on the wet sand of that beach though, the first silver ring of 2013:

silver2013_01.jpg

Today I am going to go further up the coast to see if I can find another beach with some erosion.

Looks like some great hunting to be had....I envy you the beaches at your disposal. Is there many folks swinging in that area. or is this mostly virgin ground? looking good in any case....have fun and load up on the loot!..........Bill

Nice rings! With an Excal and a DF your all set for beach hunting. Good Luck and HH!
PS.. Watch out for the mongoose!!

That is really nice for a silver ring. I like the 18k, especially all the hallmarks. The last ring I found had two hallmarks. One was called a "Kokoshnik" mark. Turns out it's sort of like a Russian assayer's mark. Where is the egg mobile???

Haha! Hotrod Tom I just bought an angle grinder with a sanding disc attachment so I can shape the Zebrawood handles myself instead of having to go up to that woman's woodshop and be attacked again by her crazy biting mongoose.

And Bobbypin Bill, I seem to be the only guy down here hunting the beaches. There was an old guy with an Excal and his girlfriend who had a Fisher PI, but I haven't seen them or the traces the leave behind. The old dude left more gold in the sand piles next to his unfilled holes than he was finding!

Nobody has really worn jewelry since the crime rate rose dramatically in the mid 80's. What I am hoping for is some serious erosion so I can find some of the pre-80's stuff.

I did find a couple of old coins in the wet sand recently on sanded in beaches that have some weight: A silver 2 shilling piece from 1956 that is quite heavy and a large South African cent from 1961. The cent alone weighs nearly 9 grams so I am hoping there might be some stray gold rings from the past left for me to find, even if the beaches get no erosion at all.

Yesterday I hit Silver Beach again at low tide for a couple of hours and found 1 lead sinker. I must have cleaned it out completely.

I guess there is always bottle cap land in the dry sand, but I dread hunting that. Anyway, I am just grateful to be able to get out and swing while most of my fellow Canadians are stuck in the winter waiting for spring.

My South African friend had some sand from there and It is some of the finest nice feeling sand ever! I like your nice rings:yes: Good hunting to you!

Last night I went on the local buy & sell facebook page looking for some diving weights to counteract my buoyancy when hunting in the tidal pools. There is one pool in particular I have a lot of trouble with because I actually have to snorkel along the bottom of it and pry stuff out of crevasses while keeping from floating to the surface at the same time. I am sure there is stuff in this pool to find, but last year I couldn't stay under long enough to dig it out.

Anyway, I found this older English dude up the coast who was selling 2 weight belts which seem to be from the World War II era for R100 each (about $12), so I bought one. It has 4 big lead weights on it. I have no idea how many I will need to be neutrally buoyant, but I took one off and will see what happens tomorrow in the tidal pool. The pool is only chest to shoulder deep so if 3 weights are too much on the belt I won't plummet to the bottom of the sea or anything like that.

I also brought down a VibraProbe 580, and that should let me narrow down the site of the targets in the crevasses while underwater, and pry whatever is in them out with a screwdriver. Scooping is impossible in this particular pool because of the rocky bottom.

This is the tidal pool I tried to hunt last year, and stepped on a stingray that was trapped in it so I am a little nervous about that. He is probably 10x as big by now.

The sides of the tidal pool are concrete with rebar in it and it was nearly impossible to hunt last year with the BHID, but I did manage to find a nice silver half crown in the pool last year in spite of being floaty, the deadly aquatic life, and the iron interference. This year my Excal should be able to discriminate out the rebar. I hope.

On the way back from the English guy's place, I stopped off at the Ramsgate tidal pool, which has a sandy bottom and is mostly waist to chest deep so I hopped in and walked around it swinging the excal. I found part of a cell phone, a 5 rand coin, and this giant silver ring:

silver2013_02.jpg

Very cool and a nice look into another foreign land. I appreciate it.

What is the tidal pool all about though? Rebar walls and a stingray trapped in it? ;)

I understand tidal pools where the limestone erodes but these sound like pools dug out on the rocks to fill with water naturally, warm up a bit for you to chill in? Is that correct?

So when people ask me "What is the best thing you ever found?" I will tell them about this morning's find!

I was out today in the rich town up the coast where all the millionaires and zillionaires have their mansions, hunting in chest deep water with the Excal in a swimming area. I heard a mid tone signal and started digging into the bottom with the Stavr scoop. The target was really deep, maybe 16" under the seabed trapped in among fist sized rocks. Really hard digging in that and I was worried I might break my scoop handle.

After about 10 minutes trying to get at whatever was in the rocks, I pulled out this... at first I though it was a thick piece of metal pipe, until I spun it around and saw the center diamond. It is 42 grams of 18k gold. The ring is so ridiculously huge in design that I figure that the diamonds in it are top of the line stones. The jeweler could have put bigger lesser grade stones in a ring this huge, but this center one here is somewhere between 1/3 - 1/2 a carat and seems perfect to me under 15x magnification. It is colorless. The other 2 are about 1/5 of a carat each. I have no idea what the diamonds are worth.

It feels like a boat anchor on your hand. This the is most valuable find I have made metal detecting! I am still in shock! This find pays for return my airfare from Toronto. Bam!

gold2013_03a.jpg

gold2013_03b.jpg

gold2013_03c.jpg

Woweee. Very nice weight on that sucka. Diamond is nice too but resale value on them is disheartening. Hopefully if you decide to it will bring some very nice $$. I would hold onto that one for a while just to admire from time to time though. lol. :D

I was going to wish you luck down there this year, but you don't need it any more. You went through a large learning curve and deserve everything you get. Congrats.

Can't wait to hear all the stories again. Especially the non-detecting ones like the mongoose and egg car.

That is one serious ring, 42 grams....Congrads on that thing!!

Back
Top Bottom