1652 oak tree shilling!!!!

bottlecaps

Elite Member
okay heres the scoop, this morning after coffee I looked out the window and saw rain had turned in to a light mist and the tide was 3/4 going up so I ducked out of the house for a little bit at the beach. as soon as I had got there the rain came back so I put a zip lock over the ace and hunted. First dig was a 47 Rosie then I picked 2 wheat’s up by than I was soaked through so came home to do what the Mrs. called light house work. Well after I finished I peeked out and saw the rain stopped. so me and the ace went back to the beach at this point it was high tide really high tide so I had to go do some dirt digging but where? I decided on a small spot that has produced 2 Vermont coppers a 1785 mine and a 1787 salemscotts. Now you may be thinking oh, why haven’t you cleaned that place out already well this place has only produced those coins after going there 1000 times. So I pull up to my spot and started to swing I’m armed with none other than the Garrett ace 250 with a 9x12 coil. After 20 min I had about 55 cents 40 cents of it was a pocket spill right on the surface. I saw this spill before I swung but I swung over just to make it a legitimate MD find. I made my way around and I came across a nickel sound very deep so I cut a plug and scanned again. Now it’s a dime so I dig a little deeper now it a Quarter. Finally after 8 inches I hit pay dirt a thin silver disk came out of the side of my hole. I knew it was old at first I thought it was Spanish I knew not to rub it but after a few seconds of staring at it I saw 1652 and knew exactly what it was. I start to tremble this is the coin I was dreaming of and I found it not some guy swinging a $1000 dollar machine (no offence PAUL) but me, with the little ace that could. I ran back to the truck to find I left the phone at home so I drove home called the Mrs. I posted a quick thread and then I realized I left my plug out. I went back rescan the hole and dug a few other things before the rain forced me back in again. This has truly been my greatest find and hard one to top I guess I better get to work.

also for those of you who don't already know the Massachusetts oak tree shilling was hammered from 1660-1667 the massachusetts coins was the first coin struck in the colonies by John Hull of Boston MA in 1652. in 1682 the coins were discontinued and another authorized coin would not be minted in the new world for 90 years

DSCN0491.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

DSCN0503.jpg

DSCN0504.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The find of a lifetime....that is the #1 coin I am hoping to find in my entire MDing lifetime......BIG CONGRATULATIONS......!!!!

That is an incredible find, and over 200 years older than my oldest. Just looking at it makes me want to go metal detecting. Congrats.

That's an excellent find. I liked the story and shared your excitement.

Your "Little Ace That Could" seems to do quite well with the 9X12 coil. My wife uses one, and it performs well.

Thanks for the pictures

Remarkeable find to say the least. Doesn't get that much better as far as finding coins in NE, very awesome!

Congratulations on a truly outstanding find and letting us share in your excitement.:yes: Sure hope you have better luck next time out.:lol:

Sweet Find! Hard to top that one. New England coinage is rare as a general rule, and even rarer to be found metal detecting. Of all the people detecting, I only know of about 7 pieces found. I bet you'll dig every hole very, very, very carefully from now on. You just never know when lightning will strike twice. Good job.

Sweet Find! Hard to top that one. New England coinage is rare as a general rule, and even rarer to be found metal detecting. Of all the people detecting, I only know of about 7 pieces found. I bet you'll dig every hole very, very, very carefully from now on. You just never know when lightning will strike twice. Good job.

i just need to find the blank planchet, the willow tree and the pine tree to make a complete set ;)

I bow to you!:tumble::tumble::tumble: That is the greatest coin I think that one can find. After it is all cleaned up I would love to see a pic.

Back
Top Bottom