Pinpointers

Dirtfishn350

Forum Supporter
When I first got into detecting, the GPP was the one to have... Used the HF till I could save up for the GGP. Now looking get a new one, so my question is which one is the best & why? I do hunt gold!

When I first got into detecting, the GPP was the one to have... Used the HF till I could save up for the GGP. Now looking get a new one, so my question is which one is the best & why? I do hunt gold!

For small gold the TRX. Bigger gold it doesn't really matter. Do recommend using clad finds to purchase pointer upgrades. I'm probably at $500 in clad for the year and can buy the next couple pointers that come out. If you can't find the clad to upgrade, gold can finance them. I also have a boat, motor, and trailer in my front yard I bought with my gold finds from last year.

So is the TRX the best one on the market?

I've owned the TRX since March and used it as primary. I won't say the TRX is the best. The missing side detection feature makes it a PITBUTT on many digs, then there is the low audio volume. The flashlight beam " detection to gain that depth at the very end is cool when detecting pre-dig on 3-4" targets, but that's about it. If the X-Pointer can hit 3 inches with side detection...that dog will hunt!

I own 5 different pointers(4 if I sell one ProPointer) and each work fine 1.25" to 4 inches(TRX) so all work enough for me not to fall into total dependency with the TRX.

TRX does go deep, no doubt. I just feel that if drags it's feet once you get into the hole and the target is off to the side or in the dirt pile by the dig. My Propointers rock in that arena, FAST!

The X-Pointer sounds good so far. If I sell the second Garretts which is now loaned for approval pre-sale, I may just get the X-Pointer, IF IT REALLY CAN HIT BURIED DIMES AT 3 INCHES. Three inches with side detection is my goal.

I think I'd like the tip only detection. Sometimes I spend a bit of time, trying to figure out if the target is in the side of the plug or bottom... Probably wouldn't be an issue if I cut a bigger plug. I think I'd like to try one?
Hear the X pointer sometimes won't hit GOLD:yikes: Don't want to miss any of that stuff!
Thank for your opinions, Guys!

I use the Deteknix Xpointer and it serves pretty well. It can consistently detect most things, in many different soils, from 2-3" away (Up to about 4" for air test). The only thing it has trouble with is those very small pieces of foil wrapping which it'll usually detect from around 1/2" - 1" away. It detects from the front and sides of the point. It can beep, vibrate or both. It also has an attached lanyard that you can attach to your belt (to prevent you from losing it - although mine was cheap and broke after a few hours). You can change the sensitivity settings. If you leave it turned on, it will begin beeping after being left alone for 3 minutes (to prevent you from leaving it somewhere). It comes with a holster too.

It's pretty rugged, except for the lanyard.

The X pointer is about $40 cheaper than the Garrett but the Garrett is proven. I use the X pointer and it has worked good so far.

TRX! The depth is great. No guessing involved. Is it inside the six inch plug? The TRX will tell you. IS the target still deeper? The TRX will tell you. Push on the tip. No falsing. But hey get what you want. Like the one poster said. Your clad can pay for the difference in price.

I've owned the TRX since March and used it as primary. I won't say the TRX is the best. The missing side detection feature makes it a PITBUTT on many digs, then there is the low audio volume. The flashlight beam " detection to gain that depth at the very end is cool when detecting pre-dig on 3-4" targets, but that's about it. If the X-Pointer can hit 3 inches with side detection...that dog will hunt!

I own 5 different pointers(4 if I sell one ProPointer) and each work fine 1.25" to 4 inches(TRX) so all work enough for me not to fall into total dependency with the TRX.

TRX does go deep, no doubt. I just feel that if drags it's feet once you get into the hole and the target is off to the side or in the dirt pile by the dig. My Propointers rock in that arena, FAST!

The X-Pointer sounds good so far. If I sell the second Garretts which is now loaned for approval pre-sale, I may just get the X-Pointer, IF IT REALLY CAN HIT BURIED DIMES AT 3 INCHES. Three inches with side detection is my goal.

GREAT POST from someone that has actually used both!

I still like my GPP.:yes: The pinpointer is just that ,a pinpointer. Too much sensitivity and as soon as the pinpointer enters the hole, it goes off and doesn't really give you direction. I am good at pinpointing with the 705 so I dig small diameter plugs and the Garrett has never let me down yet. I borrowed a pistol probe from a buddy once and understood right away why he dug large plugs. When I tried to use it in the small diameter plugs that I dig, it would just go off as soon as the tip of the probe got in the hole:no: Basically it was like a handheld MD.
I don't know about the TRX. I have only read good things about it but when it comes to my GPP; I look at it like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".:D Whenever the GPP gives up the ghost, I may look at other options but I am on my 2nd GPP (sold the first one with my XT70 and had
no complaints). Bart gave me a great deal on it, so I pulled the trigger. Good luck with whatever PP you decide on:grin:

P.S. Loving that 7.5 kHz DD coil that you sold me Dirtfishn350:yes:

TRX! The depth is great. No guessing involved. Is it inside the six inch plug? The TRX will tell you. IS the target still deeper? The TRX will tell you. Push on the tip. No falsing. But hey get what you want. Like the one poster said. Your clad can pay for the difference in price.

Good post. I have used them all and the TRX is my go to.

Back
Top Bottom