Garrett Pro Pointer vs Whites TRX vs Minelab Pro Find

cky

In the market for a new pinpointer and have narrowed it down to these three.

A - Garretts PP

B - Whites TRX

C - Minelab PF

In your opinion what one would you choose/have chose and why?

Im leaning towards the TRX, but was reading that it pinpoints from the tip of the unit so I can see where this might be a problem.

Ask 15 guys and get 15 different answers!

Get one, use it, enjoy it... don't make things so complicated for yourself.:lol:

100 different answers to follow....

I had the Garrett propointer for years but some recent unsatisfactory customer service with the unit (while out of warranty) made me chose to take my business elsewhere.

This weekend I bought a TRX from a local White's dealer.

The big advantage I have immediately recognized is that the White's does not false when you apply pressure to the unit. The TRX is a little more accurate without being overly sensitive. The only disadvantage I have thus far found is that the time to initiate the TRX on and off has a couple second delay whereas the Garrett was instant.

(PS- The White's product is made and serviced in the USA)

I had the Garrett propointer for years but some recent unsatisfactory customer service with the unit (while out of warranty) made me chose to take my business elsewhere.

This weekend I bought a TRX from a local White's dealer.

The big advantage I have immediately recognized is that the White's does not false when you apply pressure to the unit. The TRX is a little more accurate without being overly sensitive. The only disadvantage I have thus far found is that the time to initiate the TRX on and off has a couple second delay whereas the Garrett was instant.

(PS- The White's product is made and serviced in the USA)
I was wondering this same question, my Harbor Freight pin pointer sucks.
TRX Made in the USA? Sold. Are all the Whites machines made in the USA?

In the market for a new pinpointer and have narrowed it down to these three.

A - Garretts PP

B - Whites TRX

C - Minelab PF

In your opinion what one would you choose/have chose and why?

Im leaning towards the TRX, but was reading that it pinpoints from the tip of the unit so I can see where this might be a problem.

Little side detection with the TRX does hamper the speedy recovery time but the fact that you can literally put the tip pointed 90 degrees down on items which your tector says is 3 to 4 inches, predig...is monumental. The Garretts is faster on targets once out of the hole with it's side detection. The tip-only feature of the TRX bites a little in that regard.

Btw, neither of the two Garretts I own falses with pressure applied, but I'm not likely to do more and wand the area, not use the PPer to move dirt. Both GPPs are 4 years old, no falsing with mine. My TRX still gets center stage though. The depth pre-dig is wonderfull. If you get chirps with the TRX after the tector says something is 3-4" deep...what you are digging is right there, so you aren't digging moon craters. A 1-2" target???, even sweeter cuz you can ratchet down and be able to retrieve that treasure with scratching the top dirt, or using a probe.

These are great attributes. martin

All you really have to do with the TRX concerning the power up time and GB is to place the tip on the ground off to the side of your target, and then power up. That's darn simple.

I was wondering this same question, my Harbor Freight pin pointer sucks.
TRX Made in the USA? Sold. Are all the Whites machines made in the USA?

Yep, doesn't get any more American than Whites.

OK, it is my opinion that the Whites TRX is the best because of its far superior performance. Minelab would be next and Garrett would not be considered because of its growing failure rate.

I enjoy reading everyones different opinions TKS

Looks like the TRX is leading so far ...

OK, it is my opinion that the Whites TRX is the best because of its far superior performance. Minelab would be next and Garrett would not be considered because of its growing failure rate.

No. The last thing I'd buy outta these three is a Minelab today. I've only stood and watched a Minelab pinpointer in action, not handled one, but it ain't no Garretts ProPointer by any stretch. jm2c

Just adding this. The wait time on a Minelab for service work will certainly be longer than Garretts. That counts for a lot, and I'm not saying that because of experience. My 2 have been fine except when I broke the first one by trying to prove I was an electronics tech and tried taking it apart. Zero problems otherwise. m

No. The last thing I'd buy outta these three is a Minelab today. I've only stood and watched a Minelab pinpointer in action, not handled one, but it ain't no Garretts ProPointer by any stretch. jm2c

Just adding this. The wait time on a Minelab for service work will certainly be longer than Garretts. That counts for a lot, and I'm not saying that because of experience. My 2 have been fine except when I broke the first one by trying to prove I was an electronics tech and tried taking it apart. Zero problems otherwise. m

I use and own all three, and thank god that "it aint no Propointer". My thought about the Garrett is not about how good it is when it is working, it is about how bad it is when it is not working. With a failure rate where some owners have had to return their propointers two and three times in a year is way to much down time to justify recommending someone to take hard earned money and spend it on one. These list of failures being reported amount to the same issues over and over and in the past three years I have seen no evidence that Garrett ever attempted to address a cure or have a re call. There current market available units are failing with the same issues that have been reported and plagued their units since day one. The new Whites pin pointer came down with a couple of minor issues just after the first release and with in hours Whites was working on it and those issues no longer are being found. I still hold with not recommending the Garrett.

Also, while the White's isn't waterproof, I've heard of people soaking them in buckets of water and they still work fine. I wouldn't recommend submerging it, and White's only claims it to be weatherproof, but it's good to know if you drop it in a puddle, or get stuck in rain, it won't be an issue. Now I just need to get some $$$ to buy one! I've never used a pinpointer in my 25 years of detecting, mainly because I hunt woods and field were small plugs are not needed, but I want to get one to see what the fuss is all about.

Im new to the hobby, just started this year, so take my comments with my level of experience in mind. I have only used the TRX, and apparently still learning. I do have trouble pin-pointing on clad I dig. Coins are the same color as soil usually and I have trouble seeing them. The coin can be laying uncovered on the ground and as soon as I get close to it the TRX sounds off but I still cant see it. I have to poke around with the TRX and can finally zero in on it, but it takes me awhile. I do use the ground grab feature to eliminate false alerts, and I do use the ratcheting down feature to reduce the sensitivity. But for me it takes some patience to use it.

Owned 3 propointers. own a TRX, Pro find and pistol probe. Get a TRX and be done with it. I'm guessing Minelab and Garrett are gonna have to hope Whites patent runs out before they're ever in the same ball park as a TRX. I know I'm not gonna be without a TRX. Sold the propointers, Pro find is broke, pistol probe is my back up pointer.

Some people get the idea that the deeper the pin pointer can reach the better but that is not the case, do you not think that Garrett cannot build a pp to reach 10"? Garrett built the PP to only have about a 1.5" detection for a reason. Do not let the longer range PP fool ya.

Some people get the idea that the deeper the pin pointer can reach the better but that is not the case, do you not think that Garrett cannot build a pp to reach 10"? Garrett built the PP to only have about a 1.5" detection for a reason. Do not let the longer range PP fool ya.

I don't think anyone is "fooled". The old fixed pin pointer science has now given away to the new select-able TRX system where if you want the limited depth as the Gpp has then just hit the button and you can select it or you can again hit the button and get the deeper sensitivity many prefer. You are no longer locked into the fixed limited performance of the Garrett. Isn't choice wonderful?

Back
Top Bottom