• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Most valuable find?

rlhjr72

What is the most valuable thing you've ever dug up, and what is its monetary value, regardless of whether you've kept it or sold it?

I've read a lot of posts on here about how "I started metal detecting X years ago..." and it's got me to wondering about this topic.

I have to admit I got into the hobby to find my fortune...although it hasn't happened yet. :laughing: But I keep my hopes high.

I'll start: I found a 10k children's gold ring and its melt value is $28. You can see it in my avatar. I still have it and plan on giving it to my daughter when she's old enough to appreciate (and more importantly not lose) it.

Monetarily, mine would probably be a huge 17 gram 10k class ring I returned.
Worth about $400 last August at melt and about the same now.
One 1/2 size bigger and a quarter could pass through it.

22 first class ring.jpg

Personally, this ring I found at the end of August with a real diamond was the first good looking piece of gold jewelry that I have ever found that I would be proud to wear so I had it slightly re-sized to fit me.
Worth about $190 at melt...more if sold as a nice ring, but way more valuable than that to me.

Attachments

• gold ring resized.jpg
    gold ring resized.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 885
I'm guessing mine has to be a quarter and I think worth about twenty-five cents. I have some other neat/strange items but no ides on worth.

Oh and a class ring I've tried to return for over a month with no luck. Do not know the metal makeup of it either.

Attachments

• IMG_20120918_181344.jpg
    IMG_20120918_181344.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 871
  • IMG_20120909_182742.jpg
    IMG_20120909_182742.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 836
Found this 11 gram 18K gold Rosary, melt value was $470.00. It will be a gift to my mother in law for Christmas.

Attachments

• Rosary.JPG
    Rosary.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 807
Gold with the F2

This is the only gold that I have found with the Fisher F2. Its a 10k plumb Mason's Ring from a Passmaster. Nice little diamond in the middle! I have tried to find the owner but haven't had success with the local lodges. Thanks for lookin!

Attachments

• 10k%20Mason%20Ring%20001.jpg
    10k%20Mason%20Ring%20001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 821
7.6 gram 14k gold ring, or possibly an antique 1930's white gold 10k ring.

My gold guy said the old ring would probably bring around $400+ on an antique jewelry website.

I don't sell Gold so besides the melt value it's all speculation.

My best find as far as value was my 1916D merc dime, had it slabbed, came back at VG08
Puts it at about $1,600 I had an offer of $1,200 for it but turned it down, I will not sell it, just stuck it in the safety deposit box to be left to my son when I pass on someday

This is an OVM civil war buckel i found. I was riped when i ebayed it for $400.

Attachments

• ovm.jpg
    ovm.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 707
This is mine.Was bought by the British Museum for a lot over £10,000.I dont know what the pound to dollar exchange rate is.

Attachments

• 1500,s Gold ring with 20 diamonds.jpg
    1500,s Gold ring with 20 diamonds.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 698
1937 Austrian ring

Found this at a beach in Powers lake WI. in 2' water with a minelab excal 1000. The beach was an active resort from the 20s to the 70s.It was 18k gold with Austrian Eagles of silver overlayed on it. It had an inscription and date cir.1937

Attachments

• IMG_2376.jpg
    IMG_2376.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 702
WOW Simon, that's over $16,000 US dollars! You did VERY good that day! LOL How old was that ring? There's nothing to compair over here.

I'd have to say that my best find is the US civil war era belt buckle I dug up my first year MDing. I don't know it's $$ value, but it's priceless to me. : )

Attachments

• 100_1736.jpg
    100_1736.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 650
  • 100_1737.jpg
    100_1737.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 655
Wow frankiefry! That's a nice Civil War buckle. What luck you had.

You guys posted some really great looking finds. Congratulations to all!

This is the only gold that I have found with the Fisher F2. Its a 10k plumb Mason's Ring from a Passmaster. Nice little diamond in the middle! I have tried to find the owner but haven't had success with the local lodges. Thanks for lookin!

I have been offered 25 Morgan dollars for this ring. What would you do?

This is probably my best find as everything else I find is either pull tabs or pennies. Found this at in a backyard of an old house. Its a silver open top thimble with the name Fannie engraved on the side.

images

Back
Top Bottom