old coins in change

EdMattson

I first got a 55 wheatie in change at walmart. Great shape. I just stood and rolled it over in my hands. The teller must of thought I was nuts. Then today when I emptied some of my vending machines( a side hobbie/job) I went thru the bag of quarters and there was a shiny silver edge screaming out to me. Turned out to be Canadian bicentennial. I think they were 80 percent silver. I know they aren't that unusual. I enjoy the hunt anyhow.

I usually manage a couple of wheaties a year in change. They're always a pleasant surprise. It's been a couple of years since I got any silver in change--much more rare!

- Harley-Dog

Cool when stuff like rthat happens. :yes: A friend of mine got a '63 quarter at a BK this weekend.

Back in the early 70's when I was driving a vending route, I would fill up change machines and be silver hunting at the same time. Open a roll of coins and lay them out in the hand, it was easy to pick out the silver. Ah... the good ole days. :yes:

All this sounds familiar. Back about mid-sixties I worked in an office and had control of the cash box. This was about the time the clads started appearing. I started saving the "real quaters" and took only the clads to the bank. I remembere thinking - boy someday these things will be worth something. But after I filled a small coffee can I found something I wanted real bad and spent it all. (can't remember what is was) Yes we all have a stupid moments from time to time. Once in a while I will see something at my daughter's house or fine something that is old or about to be discontinued and tell here to hold on to it. Maybe she will and maybe she won't.
Al aka bloodyknees

So far this year, I've found 13 wheats, oldest was a 1936, a 1964 D silver dime, and a 1964 P silver quarter in pocket change. Also a few interesting foreign coins. ALWAYS check your change!

latest find from the bag o quarters- a 1958 quarter. on a separate note, this site looks great on my pocket pc.

Back
Top Bottom