What do you do with your finds?

shreddingmaterial

Just wondering what you do with your finds. Do you save the newer coins to purchase more MD equipment? Do you trade in older coins/jewelry for cash - if so where? Do you just collect what you find?

I know sometimes it depends on what you find, but the question is really geared for the more "common" finds of coins, jewelry, and odds and ends.

Just a wondering.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum!!!

I, for one, save all the older coins (haven't found too many yet) and take all the newer ones (clad) and put them in a jar for a rainy day. As for jewelry, I save all of them.

Happy Hunting,

Tom

in it for the hobby so I save everything, I have every coin down to the last penny an every ring, to much work to just spend it or sell it.

I save all the older coins. The newer coins go the "rainy day" jar and the jewelry I keep.

The gold & silver jewelry I send to the refinery for cash. The silver coins I put in the safe deposit box. The clad & pennies I roll, put in the bank and send the Gospel Rescue Mission a check. Steve in so az

I save all my old coins which has now turned me into a coin collector. The wife has claimed most of the jewelry and the clad is spent on coils, pinpointer, headphones, etc.

I hoard all pre-1982 copper, pre-1950 nickels, pre-1965 Dimes & quarters, pre-1971 halves. I keep all my jewelry and relic finds. To this date, I haven't sold any of it.

I use all my modern clad & zinc pennies to buy stuff at Walmart.

I keep all silver. (Well, 1 so far!) Clad goes into the roll hunting fund. If I ever find any gold I'll keep it as well.

I keep the cool stuff, silver, rings etc. Clad supports my coffee habit. I have one problem though because I dig everything and I have collected a large amount of lawn mower fatalities and pennies that coinstar rejects. I must have 3-4 lbs of pennies that are severely corroded. I think I can hammer out the nickels, dimes and quarters. I also have some lawn mower fatality brass or copper sprinkler head covers that would have certainly put someone in the hospital if they been in the line of fire, these suckers weigh at least 2 lbs each. My MD buddy just hoards everything but that's his style.

I personally sell a lot of my finds, I also give many away.
The cash I raise I use to finance my detecting trips around the World.
I cannot see the point of me keeping them in a drawer and maybe looking at them every Blue Moon, when a collector will appreciate them a lot more, and I get to do what I love.
And anyway, being a optimist...there are lots more to find. :P

I keep all the old coins, all jewelry (fake or not), and relics. I kept all the clad in a plastic container until I had enough to cover the cost of the detectors I own, then started cashing it in. Now I am saving it for purchasing new detectors and accessories. It would have been interesting to have saved it all since I started just to see how much. Cashing it in, you lose track.

:lol: I tied to sell a find once :lol:
But I couldn't part with it in the end.
So, I gave up thinking about parting with anything. I don't find much clad anymore, but when I did I would coinstar it every couple weeks.

When I am dead my kids will cuss me for leaving them the "treasures" to dispose of. :lol:

Jeff

all of my coins I have kept so far. I have just purchased folders to put them in and get them sorted out. At the end of this year (2007) I will get rid of all the clad and junk and turn it into useable cash. I have only been in the hobby for 6 months or so and have not had too much to consider. All of the iron junk, my hubby says has to go. :mad:

Most of the clad gets cashed eventually and is used for buying graded coins or toys. But like Jeff I don't find that much any more (do more old site hunting). Save pretty much everything else as momentoes if nothing else. Cladius.

Back
Top Bottom