Wondering about the age of these?

WZCoiltek

3AE350FD-8710-42BB-AF4E-559A10424395.jpg

I found these while out last week on a beach and just dismissed them as trash but it appears they’re older than I thought

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hey there, this might help you: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=78917

It is still a nice find though with an interesting history. This line originally started out life as the UMC SMOKELESS line of shells around 1895. UMC changed the name to ARROW in 1901 or 1902 because customers were asking for "SMOKELESS" shells and were being given other brands that contained smokeless powder. In 1911 Remington and UMC merged creating REMINGTON-UMC and the ARROW line was kept after the merger, and was a popular shell in the teens. An interesting note, this shell was advertised as a "steel lined" shell, but in all of the different examples and varieties that I have, I have yet to find one that is attracted to a magnet.

Once again, nice find.
Doug

The real value of a find like this is being able to put a date (or date range) on an area that you are hunting. This headstamp was put into use in 1911. The last mention that I can find for the REM-UMC ARROW is 1919.

Nice find!

Thanks for the help!

I'm thinking about throwing them in the corn cob cleaner and maybe clean them up a little. I originally dismissed them as trash. I love the historical value.

Back
Top Bottom