Cool find with landowner present. Made his day.

k2gleaner

Elite Member
I had 60 minutes to hunt a property on my way home from work yesterday. The house is old (pre-1900) but renovated and lived in. The original house was late 1700s and long gone on the same site. Property was deeded in 1774.

The yard had a blacksmith shop, animal stables, tobacco barns, washhouse, etc... My AT Pro would not stop beeping. Did a few targets, including some wheaties. I found what appears to be the bell part of a teacher's desktop bell. He said it looked like that. Since it was found where the Wash House was, I joked that he must have taken it from his teacher's desk and that his mom found it in his pants pocket when she was washing his clothes and it never got back to the house.

But the coolest find rang up as an 81 82 and I thought I had a coin. it turned out to be a large, thick metal disc. Maybe two in Lacrosse and 3/16 of an inch thick. It was quite heavy but not lead. The landowner, who is in his 70s at least, immediately said "I know what that is! It's probably my dad's!" He told me it was called a"pitch" - a disc that was part of a game that his parents would have played. He said that a group of friends would dig a few holes in the yard and they would take turns trying to toss or roll their disc into the hole. A little bit like bocce ball, or frisbee golf or, whatever.

It even had on initial or two scratched into the surface. It looks like the letter F. I could tell he was interested in it from a personal perspective so I offered it to him and he gladly accepted. He said he might have another one or two somewhere in their possession and if so, he said he would give me this item back. I thought that was pretty cool of him. Of course he said I was welcome to come back anytime.
7cee67fe2a6579142d0f5757924ac82f.jpg
5be0c88aa2d4269943c73b35382d673b.jpg
9836c9cfc1847c524d176c408fad6bde.jpg
035c5df2aa9d5de8c268f71e3893bd49.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

He told me it was called a"pitch"

I'm 73, and never heard of that game in Northern Illinois. We'd have killed each other if we'd had big pieces of metal that heavy. BB gun wars were our thing. LOL

I had 60 minutes to hunt a property on my way home from work yesterday. The house is old (pre-1900) but renovated and lived in. The original house was late 1700s and long gone on the same site. Property was deeded in 1774.

The yard had a blacksmith shop, animal stables, tobacco barns, washhouse, etc... My AT Pro would not stop beeping.....

That's the way to do it. You got to detect and keep some things. Property owner is happy. You learned something new and made a connection with somebody in your community. Plus, you get to go back. Nice!

The landowner got back to me and said the letter looks like a "J" and possibly a "C" next to it - his dad's initials. His dad was born in 1915 and played this as a kid. What's possible is this wasn't just dropped, but purposefully tossed in a hole and then forgotten. Pretty cool.

Great story! I love finding something personal and getting it to the land owners! I'm sure that this meant a lot to that guy.

Cool find and cooler story and follow up! It's awesome you found something really special to the homeowner, how neat :)

Back
Top Bottom