MY FIRST 8-REALE...is a counterfeit.

Fooleeze

I really debated posting this in the "stories and pictures of finds", but I decided to put it here because I'm really hoping to get more information about this.

I was hunting in a local park where I have found some 1800s buttons and one large cent. But this one really came as a surprise to me. It is clearly an 1821 eight reale from Columbia. But it is also clearly not silver. It rings at a 50 on my Garrett AT Max out of the ground. I've never found a reale, never really hoped to in my area. I was really excited for about half a second until I realized it wasn't really silver. But counterfeit is still kind of cool.

Here is an example of what it looks like, minus the silver.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces35034.html

Does anyone know anything about counterfeit coins?

Attachments

• IMG_20191213_223417.jpg
    IMG_20191213_223417.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_20191213_223426.jpg
    IMG_20191213_223426.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 400
While I don't know what the value may be, I have found two counterfeit coins. One is a 1877 Seated quarter, the other is a 1898? Barber half. They are both silver plated pewter. Congrats on a scarce and interesting find.

Thanks for the responses. The coin I've got is coming up approximately 18 grams, but my scale isn't incredibly accurate to that detail. It looks copper, but I'm surprised that it would ring up as a 50 on my AT Max being so big, round, and copperish. Lead or pewter could register that low, but it doesn't feel like lead or pewter. It does, however, sound a little like a poker chip when it drops on a hard surface.

I've also seen a counterfeit that was almost like a 'clay' coin with a copper shell (then likely silver plated). Maybe this is similar, clay-like substance beneath the surface.

Back
Top Bottom