New Minelab Equinox

My first plan, after putting it together of course, is to put it to the test. Our city park where I know for a fact there are lots of old coins for a detector that cab get to them. This park has been my proving grounds for many years.

My first plan, after putting it together of course, is to put it to the test. Our city park where I know for a fact there are lots of old coins for a detector that cab get to them. This park has been my proving grounds for many years.

Great that you have such a site. A great proving ground is invaluable.

I really look forward to your testing. In fact, feel free to PM me, when the time comes! ;)

How this machine will fare in a "hunted-out" park, where deep, good targets remain, is exactly what I'd like to see this machine evaluated on. In other words, how does it fare, from an ID-on-deep-coins perspective, and thus -- by extension -- success-wise, in an FBS-hammered park?

Steve

I'm going to check our hammered park where there is nothing but some foil,a tab or two and modern pennies.....Can't wait to be surprised I hope!

I will be testing against Deus both HF and LF coils
CTX
Nokta Impact
Rutus alter 71

A real good bird's eye comparison,,,in the field hunting, on top of the ground test, test garden.

Will see if I can determine strengths,weaknesses, likes, dislikes.

Folks hopefully can use the info.
Might help,,,especially when connected with other users reporting.

I don't expect the Equinox 800 to dominate in all areas when comparing.
Need to see though how close it does perform in some scenarios for the $$$ spent.

Value for the $$,, really what it's all about when grading and comparing a detector.

Certainly not buying just so I can dog the detector.

Actually have a couple down the street, the lady really likes to detect.
She has a gti 2500 she uses,,she complains it is too heavy for her.
She and her husband bought 2 of the units a long time ago when they first came out. He doesn't like to detect much.
I think this might me the cat's meow for her.
Btw this couple loaded money wise,,price not really a factor.
I let her try Deus,,the way it IDs don't suit her.

Have a couple others I'lol show unit to,,they may be interested as well.
I try to be an ambassador in my area as far as showing of different models.
Not a huge audience,,but I think this is good for the industry and hobby.

None of them look at detecting forums either.
I have tried to get the to start doing.
No dice thus far.

Looking forward to your reviews, tnsharpshooter...

Steve

I will be testing against Deus both HF and LF coils
CTX
Nokta Impact
Rutus alter 71

A real good bird's eye comparison,,,in the field hunting, on top of the ground test, test garden.

Will see if I can determine strengths,weaknesses, likes, dislikes.

Folks hopefully can use the info.
Might help,,,especially when connected with other users reporting.

I don't expect the Equinox 800 to dominate in all areas when comparing.
Need to see though how close it does perform in some scenarios for the $$$ spent.

Value for the $$,, really what it's all about when grading and comparing a detector.

Certainly not buying just so I can dog the detector.

Actually have a couple down the street, the lady really likes to detect.
She has a gti 2500 she uses,,she complains it is too heavy for her.
She and her husband bought 2 of the units a long time ago when they first came out. He doesn't like to detect much.
I think this might me the cat's meow for her.
Btw this couple loaded money wise,,price not really a factor.
I let her try Deus,,the way it IDs don't suit her.

Have a couple others I'lol show unit to,,they may be interested as well.
I try to be an ambassador in my area as far as showing of different models.
Not a huge audience,,but I think this is good for the industry and hobby.

None of them look at detecting forums either.
I have tried to get the to start doing.
No dice thus far.

Okay, lemme make a specultaion here. Minelab really has no mid-"intermediate" detectors out except possibly the Xterra. There is quite a jump from the Go-Find-Xterra to the Safari-Etrac range in $$$. We know a lot of consumers are pretty brand loyal when a detector works well for them, seen it for years with Garrett Ace series users upgrading to the AT line. Logical progression.

Minelab now has a "fun" line with the Go Find series. As most are thinking about the Equinox, this is a new introduction unit for them into the mid-intermediate range. Many people have said the Etrac will be discontinued...could this mean if Minelab has major success with the Equinox, there could be a new little lower priced, lighter, faster CTX 2 in the works to keep traction on the natural upgrade progression??? Possibly??? Maybe???

That would be sweet!

Okay, lemme make a specultaion here. Minelab really has no mid-"intermediate" detectors out except possibly the Xterra. There is quite a jump from the Go-Find-Xterra to the Safari-Etrac range in $$$. We know a lot of consumers are pretty brand loyal when a detector works well for them, seen it for years with Garrett Ace series users upgrading to the AT line. Logical progression.

Minelab now has a "fun" line with the Go Find series. As most are thinking about the Equinox, this is a new introduction unit for them into the mid-intermediate range. Many people have said the Etrac will be discontinued...could this mean if Minelab has major success with the Equinox, there could be a new little lower priced, lighter, faster CTX 2 in the works to keep traction on the natural upgrade progression??? Possibly??? Maybe???k

That would be sweet!

Well,
My gut tells me,,every real performing ( not the bottom line intros) detectors from here on out Vlf wise from Minelab will be waterproof.

This definitely makes it harder for other manufacturers to cut in line so to speak.

I think of this movie clip here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKoZD-sFi4

I have said what i said! I do not see hundreds of Etracs, Ctx's on the forums or ebay for sale so i think that pretty much says that whether most are willing to admit it or not that this is not the end all machine or holy grail of detectors lol! Or at least they do not believe strongly enough that they are rushing to sell machines yet, and i hope you do not cause i really think you will be disappointed in the end. If this was a Deus, Impact, ctx rolled into one lightweight waterproof machine i PROMISE YOU IT WOULD NOT BE 800 dollars!!!!!!! It would be more like 3000 or more and i promise you peeps would buy the hell out of them! What do you wanna sell your product for, 800 or 3000 ??? a no brainer to me. Actually this is one time i would like to be wrong but my common sense says , if it too good to be true, it usually is. And the marketing makes no sense what so ever to me. If Feb rolls around and i am wrong i will post publicly a big fat I WAS WRONG! and will actually be happy to do so lol!

I agree tn, though times ahead for a lot of manufacturers. I think the Equinox is going to take a big dent out of lightweight waterproof market.

I don't know Trashfinder the Equinox isn't out yet so it's hard to tell how people are going to feel about it. Myself I have never touch the Equinox or even know anyone that has and I plan to sell most of my current machines to get one. I have seen enough to tell me I need to give this one a go. That and my gut feeling is telling me this one will be something special.

I could be wrong, but I could be right!

Careful what you wish for, Minelab repair center at kellyco worked on detector models no longer supported by Minelab and also worked on detectors that had mods done, they are the only repair center to do so. Repair center in Vegas wouldn't and neither would repair center in Chicago.

I would like to see them try. Now I know you are a defender of all things Kellyco BUT you would have much more credibility if you would at least admit to the shortcomings. But NO anytime anyone has an issue with Kellyco you have to jump right in and defend them right, wrong or indifferent.
The FACTS are Kellyco has some shady practices. They have for a long time now marked items as "in stock" when in fact they are not in stock and then AFTER they charge your credit card you get a email stating the item is on back order!
And then this repair fiasco, you have been making excuses for over a year now as to why they are behind, you have went as far as to blame the owners for sending in the complete unit, bad care, not stating the problem etc.
The FACT is their repair times are way too long, their communication is sparse and the oversight by Minelab must be non existent.
I am hoping Nokta gets a more reputable repair facility and dealer network because if everyone who want one has to go through Kellyco then they will lose ALOT of repeat business.
I know guys who pre ordered the Impact wireless headphones from Kellyco that still have not received them. I was able to order mine from a Turkish dealer and received one pair that was defective and got the second pair on my doorstep while guys are still waiting on Kellyco.
I will now go make a cup of coffee and wait for your excuse laden response.

Here is my prediction, just my gut feeling. Let me first say that if I were just getting into the hobby I would probably get the Equanox based on the fact that it seems to be an all around machine (features similar to a Deus and multi-freq for the beach).

Having said that, my gut tells me:

1. It will not be as versatile as the Deus (adjustability) in single freq mode (I don't care that it does everything in one coil).

2. The Deus still outperforms Equanox in single freq mode.

3. The new multi-freq technology will not be on par with existing technology in the CTX, Excal, etc. FBS/FBS2 will still be superior.

What I think you will get is a solid all around, top of the mid level machines.

If I end up being wrong, I'll buy two 800's.

I just want to see someone put it against a bbs machine IN the saltwater and I will think about buying one based on that.

I have said what i said! I do not see hundreds of Etracs, Ctx's on the forums or ebay for sale so i think that pretty much says that whether most are willing to admit it or not that this is not the end all machine or holy grail of detectors lol! Or at least they do not believe strongly enough that they are rushing to sell machines yet, and i hope you do not cause i really think you will be disappointed in the end. If this was a Deus, Impact, ctx rolled into one lightweight waterproof machine i PROMISE YOU IT WOULD NOT BE 800 dollars!!!!!!! It would be more like 3000 or more and i promise you peeps would buy the hell out of them! What do you wanna sell your product for, 800 or 3000 ??? a no brainer to me. Actually this is one time i would like to be wrong but my common sense says , if it too good to be true, it usually is. And the marketing makes no sense what so ever to me. If Feb rolls around and i am wrong i will post publicly a big fat I WAS WRONG! and will actually be happy to do so lol!
Generally I would agree with this however....I can't imagine minelab sells as many ctx as they do cheaper models. So they can achieve the same goal by either selling 1000 ctx units for $3000 each or selling roughly 30,000 equinox for $800. Not exact math obviously just an example. There is more than one way to skin a cat. There are a lot more detectorists in the entry level to intermediate or hobby level than there are seasoned veterans looking for top end machines. I believe the very successful AT line from Garrett proves this. I don't know if this machine will outperform fbs only time will tell but I do see how it could make business sense for minelab to develop this new detector that could.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree tn, though times ahead for a lot of manufacturers. I think the Equinox is going to take a big dent out of lightweight waterproof market.

I don't know Trashfinder the Equinox isn't out yet so it's hard to tell how people are going to feel about it. Myself I have never touch the Equinox or even know anyone that has and I plan to sell most of my current machines to get one. I have seen enough to tell me I need to give this one a go. That and my gut feeling is telling me this one will be something special.

I could be wrong, but I could be right!
I feel the same way. I am willing to sell off what I have to take a chance on this detector.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would like to see them try. Now I know you are a defender of all things Kellyco BUT you would have much more credibility if you would at least admit to the shortcomings. But NO anytime anyone has an issue with Kellyco you have to jump right in and defend them right, wrong or indifferent.
The FACTS are Kellyco has some shady practices. They have for a long time now marked items as "in stock" when in fact they are not in stock and then AFTER they charge your credit card you get a email stating the item is on back order!
And then this repair fiasco, you have been making excuses for over a year now as to why they are behind, you have went as far as to blame the owners for sending in the complete unit, bad care, not stating the problem etc.
The FACT is their repair times are way too long, their communication is sparse and the oversight by Minelab must be non existent.
I am hoping Nokta gets a more reputable repair facility and dealer network because if everyone who want one has to go through Kellyco then they will lose ALOT of repeat business.
I know guys who pre ordered the Impact wireless headphones from Kellyco that still have not received them. I was able to order mine from a Turkish dealer and received one pair that was defective and got the second pair on my doorstep while guys are still waiting on Kellyco.
I will now go make a cup of coffee and wait for your excuse laden response.

I am with you on there repair center. I just got my CTX back from them and there is no change. It still has the same problem that i sent it in to get fixed. I would never buy from them.
I am getting in touch with Minelab first thing in the morning. I want to send them my unit so they can see for there self. If they do not do something about this problem I can see it being a big problem.

I brought up this issue as far as Minelab needs to look hard at their repair facility.
Thinking maybe since this thread is titled Equinox, someone with some company pull would read,,and take some action.
Or at least seriously consider.

I also see this new parts site,,still in the works it seems.
Kudos here Minelab for doing this.

Btw could someone from the repair facility please comment on the following.
Since you are adding it looks like 3 new model detectors,,,Equinox 600, Equinox 800, and Go Find 66.
Due to these additional models being released, what changes are in the works for additional whatever for repairs of future units.

Last edited:
Kinda crazy how one company, has "repair facilities" around the globe, and folks aren't happy..

Another company has, um, a company, in Texas, and people are happy...

Don't know if that's on topic or not...

<°)))>{

The Explorer XS,which I still own,does not have FE #s and performed as well as my II.These are tone machines first and foremost.You know your machine and tone tells you dig,you dig!If this machine does as well as the XS with light weight,then I'm in,but we will all see.

Back
Top Bottom