Digging with the bottle diggers

StevenB

I've recently met up with some guys who've been digging bottles for decades. Super nice guys and they know how to expertly locate and dig privies and cisterns. This past Sunday we all went out to a vacant lot in town that originally had a house built about 1900, and dug out the cistern. It was an all-day affair because the cistern was quite deep and we had to go through about four feet of clay to get to the good soil. The bottle guys were rewarded with dozens of good bottles including amber Cokes, local dairy bottles, embossed medicine bottles, etc. (plus dozens of antique bottles they deemed "common" and ended up throwing back in the hole!) While the digging was going on a fellow detectorist and myself were scanning the dirt piles for goodies. Best find for me were three identical uniform buttons from the Kentucky Central Ry, from late 19th-early 20th century. One even had a bit of the uniform fabric still attached! The only old coin I found was an extremely toasted wheat penny. The soil conditions inside these old cisterns isn't very conducive to preserving metal items unfortunately, but it was still fun to dig.
Once we had the cistern filled back up and parted ways, I still had the itch to find some silver, so went and checked out the front yard of a new permission, a circa 1920 house in a nice part of town. In about an hour I dug a 1944 Merc, 1934 cent, a metal football charm, and a large advertising token from Hyvis Motor Oil, probably 1930s. When I flipped over the plug for the token at first I thought I had found a half dollar coin, it was about the right size, but I'm happy with the token anyway and it cleaned up nicely. A great end to a fun day.

Attachments

• IMG_20170917_150659624.jpg
    IMG_20170917_150659624.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20170918_211958235.jpg
    IMG_20170918_211958235.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20170918_212417429.jpg
    IMG_20170918_212417429.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 166
Cool finds! Is that thimble silver? That's a pretty deep looking hole by the looks of those guys down there. I'd be afraid of the dirt above breaking free and trapping me!

Cool finds! Is that thimble silver? That's a pretty deep looking hole by the looks of those guys down there. I'd be afraid of the dirt above breaking free and trapping me!

The thimble was aluminum unfortunately. Pretty corroded as is typical. The guys in the photo are crouching down but the hole was a good 8 feet deep at least when we reached the bottom and we had to use a ladder to get in and out! We were pretty careful about safety -- always two people in the hole and close attention paid to dirt walls that might collapse. The cistern itself had brick walls lined with concrete so it was solid. Also made sure to keep excavated bricks and big stones away from the edge of the hole in case they might slide back in onto someone's head!

The thimble was aluminum unfortunately. Pretty corroded as is typical. The guys in the photo are crouching down but the hole was a good 8 feet deep at least when we reached the bottom and we had to use a ladder to get in and out! We were pretty careful about safety -- always two people in the hole and close attention paid to dirt walls that might collapse. The cistern itself had brick walls lined with concrete so it was solid. Also made sure to keep excavated bricks and big stones away from the edge of the hole in case they might slide back in onto someone's head!

That looks like a blast! I'd love to dig into one of those myself someday. Sorry the thimble wasn't the good kind of shiny.

Nice finds! That excavation pic makes me a little nervous - about the possibility of a cave-in. Maybe the soil there is more stable than what we have around here. Do bottle diggers ever think about such things? edit: Oops didn't read your second post - I see you mentioned that.

Wow... That pic just proved to me that bottling digging is too much like work. I'll stick with the top 12 inchs or so, either that or take your approach and scan what they throw out. :lol:

LOoks like a blast, but be careful the top doesn't fall in on ya!

Love bottle diggin, congrats on your goodies!

Wow awesome digging! I bought a privy probe awhile back and havent been able to use it yet. It will be a useful tool down the road though, I'm sure. I started digging bottles around 10 years old and have always loved it. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom