Background query.

GTS225

I'm wondering; How many of you are numismatists?

The reason I ask is that I'm not, and it occurs to me that if MD'ing goes hand-in-hand with coin collecting, then maybe I have the wrong reasons for owning a detector in mind.

Roger

The reason I ask is that I'm not, and it occurs to me that if MD'ing goes hand-in-hand with coin collecting, then maybe I have the wrong reasons for owning a detector in mind.

Roger

Yes, I am a numismatist, and you will find most people who hunt for old (and new) coins are numismatists. I know a few guys who detect only for jewellery on beaches or for gold in gold countries, but they are not interested in collecting coins.

But yes, detecting and collecting coins goes hand in hand.

No, I'm not. I don't know much about coins at all, with one exception... I know silver and gold coins are actually valuable due to their metal content and clad coins are not.

I don't think you have to be a coin collector to be a metal detectorist at all. I mean, yes, I appreciate these old coins for their precious metals and great old designs, but I don't put them in plastic sleeves or make a big deal of not letting them touch anything else. To me, they are dug coins, ones I actually dug, and something I'll probably pass down to my nephew when I croak.

And coins are only one small percentage of what we find anyway. Let's face it though, except precious metals and maybe, maybe the very rare other find, most of what we dig up isn't really worth $$. It's the fun of the hunt, at least for me, that keeps me in this hobby, oh, and the incidental exercise.

Roger

Somewhat. I'd say most of us are appreciators of history, and understand coinage to some degree. I couldn't name, however, all the Treasurey secretaries, or which mints had specific errors at what time. But I do have an 1800's type set (missing just 4 draped bust coins), collect roman coins, and have plenty of coins from around the world.

But I don't consider myself a Numismatist. If the world's best coin show came to town, I'd still not go.

Cheers,

Skippy

I think most detectorists who hunt coins will at least become just enough of an amateur numismatist to know what coins are rare and hence extra valuable so they know what coins to watch for, or look it up after finding a coin they think might be :lol:

I think most detectorists who hunt coins will at least become just enough of an amateur numismatist to know what coins are rare and hence extra valuable so they know what coins to watch for, or look it up after finding a coin they think might be :lol:

Yeaaa...that!!!:yes:

I never was but I must admit that detecting is turning me into one. I have kept almost every worthwhile coin I have found. Those few I did not keep were given as gifts to people who would appreciate them.

A few Members here have joined the local Numismatic Group...Me and Sturrat and Treasure Twosome...Its a perfect fit for us to go and show and buy/sell/trade/ learn from these old guys...dues are $7/yr, and we are treated well within this group of Coinys...I think its a natural fit for a detectorist to eventually know a lot more than the average person about coins and PM values and whatnot like GKL said..Heck, we ALL look at spare change edges for silver, and skim through Coinstar reject trays right?:laughing:

Attachments

• coin group2.jpg
    coin group2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 145
  • coin club2.jpg
    coin club2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 143
  • coin club4.jpg
    coin club4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 159
coin collecting

At least a little knowage on coins helps you know when you have found something to get excited about. I don't actively collect coins any more but enjoy going to coin shows and learning about them.

OK, then. It looks as if a large majority are more treasure hunters than serious Numismatists.
Nothing wrong with knowing enough to understand what one may have found, even if you don't get excited about it.

Thanks, folks.....Roger

OK, then. It looks as if a large majority are more treasure hunters than serious Numismatists.
Nothing wrong with knowing enough to understand what one may have found, even if you don't get excited about it.

Thanks, folks.....Roger

I wouldn't necessarily consider a few responses on a General thread a good statistical representation (some members post mostly in the category that suits their hunting interests-- i.e. I post mostly in "Beach and Water Hunting" because I hunt beaches exclusively).

I think more telling is the fact that of the various subdivisions, the "Coinshooters and Relic Hunters" section has the highest thread-count and almost tied for the highest post-count.

While certainly not everybody posting there could be considered a "serious Numismatist" I wouldn't be surprised if quite a lot are.

Just something to think about. :grin:

Roger

Detecting .... " can "....go hand in hand with coin collecting , but as is the case with many of us.....not always. Many of us just like to find stuff , coins and jewelry most of all but we don't necessarily collect them. I like coins , but I spend or sell them whenever I can....that is their value to me , along with the fun of hunting for them and finding them. Many of us are not numismatists. Some of us are partial or off and on numismatists.....depending on the circumstances. Some of us don't have much interest in coins at all believe it or not , they go after relics or precious metals. We are a very diverse group with one thing in common , we like to find stuff.... :yes:

My wife and I have a couple of dozen priceless Grandpa coins. All circulated and worn. I've bought a few gold and silver coins from the mint and a set of silver coins from the wife's birth year, along with a half dozen silver coins found detecting, we have a collection, but we are not collectors, more like hoarders. I just appreciate the art and the history of the old coins and the monetary security of the silver and gold ones.

If I find silver I'm not afraid to grab some baking soda and a toothbrush and go to town unless I think there is a chance it may be valuable. Numismatist no way. They would hace me tared and feathered if they saw that.

From Wiki:

Numismatics is the study or collection of currency, including coins, tokens, paper money, and related objects.

Clad gets spent, old coins get put into flips, then into album. So technically "Yes" to the question. I don't collect any other than those I find however.

I would say I know more about coins than the average Joe. And I do coin roll hunt from time to time. So I guess I am technically an amateur coin collector.

Not a coin collector by any means, but I have found myself checking dates and doing a bit of research on coins I find and see people posts. Don't think I'd go out of the way to purchase or actively pursue coins, but if I find something worth hanging on to I'll definitely be hanging onto it.

Back
Top Bottom