Any AT Pro users....I need some Guidence

wvdave107

Elite Member
Hey All, I just received my new AT Pro yesterday evening. Been out in the yard for a total of, maybe 3 hours....Really digging the hobby, no pun intended...LOL. I have a few questions....

I've read different articles saying to skip standard mode and go straight to Pro mode and start learning tones. Question is...Do you experienced users recommend this for a beginner? I have found several items, mostly trash...nails, aluminum, Shasta can, slag, and .11 in clad(dime & penny). I've used both pro and stand. modes just playing around.

Seems my yard is full of trash.... House built in the early 2000's, but back in the day this area was a dairy farm....In pro/ zero mode iron disc. 30-35 and 7 sensitivity I'm getting tons of sound, mostly low tones and numbers ranging from 20-37. Seems everywhere I swing I'm hitting something. I've ground balanced several times but I still get tons of tones (low). Occasionally, I'll hit around 53-60. Question....Am I doing something wrong, or is there just that much junk in my yard?

Standard mode...Found the dime in standard/ coin mode showed 81 with nice clear tone. Hit another area and got tons of clear tones reading the same. Dug about 6-8" and found nothing...Could they be deeper or could it be false tones?

False Tones??? Could all the noise I'm hearing be false tones...iron audio is on and seems to help distinguish....If they are false why would that be?

What are the preferred setting for general hunting? Being new I'm happy to find anything of interest. Understandably settings will change from location to location, but is there a standard "base line" or starting point?

Thanks in advance for the info. Any advice is Greatly appreciated.....HH

I run pro zero, iron audio off, normally 2 or 3 brs from max for sensitivity.

if you raise your detector a foot up and are still getting a signal it is probably something big and deep.

I would also lower sensitivity. You should go extra slow to allow your machine to seperate targets. When you can, get yourself the 5x8 coil. It's awesome at wading through trashy spots, which sounds like what you have. Keep at it and slowly clean out your yard. I bet you'll be amazed at what all is there.

Big iron will often times read as a high tone as will pop cans. If you're getting these high tones and digging and finding nothing, it's likely deep iron. When you get a signal that's good, try raising the coil as you swing and see what your numbers read. If they don't drop much it's likely to be a good target. If the numbers drop into the iron range it's probably big iron. Also if you are swinging a foot off the ground and it's still signaling it's something big. And when you pinpoint these signals what's it telling you about the size of the target?

With trashy sites it can be tough, especially with the stock coil. You just have to go slow. I'm sure you've heard this before but when starting out dig a lot of targets to see what's really under your coil. After a while using both the VDI and the sounds you are hearing you will get good at identifying what's under your coil.

And IMHO, you are better starting in Pro mode. You hear a lot more to help ID targets. The ATP really isn't that hard of a machine to use. You just have to do a lot of digging (like with most machines) to really master it.

What you need is to ease into the machine. I do not agree with the manufacturers when they tell you to learn your machine accepting all targets. Put your machine in Pro - Coin. Run iron disc to 40. Notch out the 45-50, 65-70 and 70 to 75 block. Run the machine at 4 bars of power. Find a clean area and perform an auto ground balance. Dig all the solid beeps. Enjoy!

I run custom standard with full 40 iron disc unless I'm relic hunting. The depth difference is minimal but I get nice loud audio signals. Then I hit iron audio to see if I'm in iron. Then if I need to, I switch to Pro custom.

Also get a 5x8 coil. You'll love it

When I first read the title to this post I nearly spit out my drink.
Any AT Pro Users....:laughing:
In my mind I read it as a question.

WVdave.. you have come to the right place. There are a lot of very experienced users here that can help you.

When ground balancing do it on an empty spot, maybe a spot you've already cleaned out

I would turn off iron audio, its 0 to 40 on the Atp.
You might want to notch out everything bu the coins to learn. Just my opinion
on pro mode.

just keep on swinging it.. pretty soon all them sounds are going to make sense.
Pro zero nothing notched iron audio off ... if it is playing a song your swinging too fast

Good Luck

Hit the local park today ran in pro coin this time, turned down the sensitivity and disc, at 35. Found a dozen bottle caps and tabs. Did manage to dig two modern pennies but I noticed they looked and sounded very close to the bottle caps (82). Off the next couple of days going to keep swinging and playing around...Wish me luck...LOL

Steel bottle caps hit around 75 for me. But they have a clipped sound at the end, not smooth. Now an aluminum bottle cap can hit in the 80's and sound nice and smooth. Just gotta dig them.

for learning purposes i think its ok to run disc up to 40 for awhile but never use coin mode doing so eliminates lots of gold rings after some time you can set disc to zero let your ears dscriminate and you never to look at the screen

I also just got the AT Pro and trying to learn what its telling me. Ive never had a MD before. Ive been searching my back yard, its a big one, and found several coins between 2 and 8 inches deep. I keep getting odd readings and when i dig i find nothing but coal cinders. Is there something else there or is the coal tricking the MD? Ive been running in Pro Zero with iron desc at about 35.

I also just got the AT Pro and trying to learn what its telling me. Ive never had a MD before. Ive been searching my back yard, its a big one, and found several coins between 2 and 8 inches deep. I keep getting odd readings and when i dig i find nothing but coal cinders. Is there something else there or is the coal tricking the MD? Ive been running in Pro Zero with iron desc at about 35.

I ran into some coal and coal cinders yesterday. I didn't notice any sounds. Like you, this is my first detector. Trying to learn as much as possible. Again, I'm new, but you my try turning the sensitivity down a bit. I hade to do that in my yard and it seemed to eliminate some of the chatter. I assume it would also depend on the mineralization of the soil. Good luck

If possible join a metal detecting club. There will some crusty old farts but there will also be some folks who can teach you all the basics you need to know and they will be happy to do it. Plus, you can go on club hunts

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I'm running in Pro Zero or Pro Custom...no difference really except that Custom saves your disc settings, and since I'm 0 disc most of the time, I dont care...I can always deploy Iron Off if I need to pick through a mess of nails...

I will say, I HAVE to run my rig up here 3 bars down from Full Sens for optimum feedback..I tried jacking it up to 2 bars down, but the thing starts to false when a wave comes over the top or any minor change in ground/sand conditions..

Again, no big deal to me, the thing works really well and hits deep running 3 bars down....It finds Gold and I have confidence in these settings and have gotten comfortable with the feedback understanding....

I guess my advice is to not try to run too hot....run comfortable and accurate...If you can run full power, then OK, all areas are not the same and these rigs were designed to perform no matter what, thats why theres those adjustment features......just click down a few bars Sens and experiment to find the settings that work the best in your area and make the most sense to your brain....

Back
Top Bottom