The future of US coins?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have heard several speculative comments on the future of coinage in the US. Including some of my comments.

For instance I have noticed that 5 years ago when going to Quicktrip (a popular chain of high volume gas stations and mini-stores) I could walk the parking lot of say 25 parking spaces and round the pumps each day an easily pick up fifty cents to a dollar’s worth of change. I did that for two years every day when I went each morning to get my coffee.

Now I am lucky if I find a single coin. It is those darn keyless entry fobs for cars that killed that nice little morning collection coffee collection. In the past men pulled a glob of keys out of their pocket and out came the change to be dropped.

But, on a more sinister note, there are rumors that the US government wants to eliminate all paper and coinage and make us go to debit cards. Why? Because it is so easy to track people this way. Supposedly cut down on illegal activity, increase the IRS’s ability to determine any tax fraud and the list goes on.

The other side of the coin is who among the big national players would be against it? Banks – no they make tons of small commissions. big high tech companies – no, they make the software and machines for a cashless society. ACLU – maybe, but they really are fringe players. Local governments? No for the same reason as Federal Government.

We may think that this will happen way into the future, but with current technology and our current batch of idiots we elect to serve? us in Washington anything is possible within 10 years.

So the question is, what happens to our hobby if coins disappear from circulation. Will metal detecting go the way of some many things made obsolete because of the invention the iPhone? The list of items that the iPhone and other smart phones made obsolete is very long and getting longer.

I can see a horrible future where we are chipped and that unique chip is linked to our smart phones and linked to big brother. You see this right now in China where they have a social credit system where you are rated on your social or anti-social merits in their huge database and your few privileges can be restricted if you don’t follow the party line. WORSE THAN EAST GERMANY DURING THE COLD WAR for those of you who still harbor warm and fuzzy feelings about the Chinese government. Look for more Chinese to try and escape to the US by hook or crook.

How would the metal detector manufacturers react? After say a 10 year period we might not even be able to find clad? I have seen many a post where old timers say that the 1970’s were the golden times for finding silver and gold coins.

What does all this hold for our hobby?

Probably will just upset the clad hunters. People will still be dropping expensive jewelry unless that is outlawed by the government. You laugh, there was a time not too far back when you could not legally own gold in the US.

Maybe the more technically inclined detectorists will become hackers or bitcoin harvesters.

Just food for thought on the supper rainy day in Atlanta.

I am honestly surprised that they haven't already killed the penny. No love lost there for me frankly. As for the rest, they will eventually kill cash, all the movies cast in the future say so. When that happens, though, coins will be worth so little as to not be worth our time. At that point, we'll be digging for jewelry. Hopefully they will have better machines as well to keep us from digging tabs and such. Fewer targets dug but better recoveries. Just my .02. Worth what you paid for it.

BCD

Damb Maxxkatt, how depressing. We best start selling our detectors before they go the way of film cameras. Yeah I still have two expensive cameras that are worth nothing now.

Damb Maxxkatt, how depressing. We best start selling our detectors before they go the way of film cameras. Yeah I still have two expensive cameras that are worth nothing now.

I have a friend with a photo dark room and a chest freezer full of the photo paper he uses but is no longer produced. When it was announced that it would be discontinued he made an order based on how much he was likely to use before he is no longer able to print his own photographs. The point is that his film cameras are worth plenty to him.

I hear plenty of people say CDs and DVDs are obsolete, but I think that's too broad of a definition. Choosing not to use something doesn't mean it is obsolete when it is still widely available. They're certainly out of style. People choose to watch whatever Netflix is offering up rather than go out of their way to plan ahead and buy or rent dvds.

I wouldn't worry about it, since the government can't even get rid of the worthless penny. Too much money being made by the mining companies to ever let us go cashless. Coins will never go away as long as there are politicians who will sell their vote on the possible decision to eliminate coinage.

I have a friend with a photo dark room and a chest freezer full of the photo paper he uses but is no longer produced. When it was announced that it would be discontinued he made an order based on how much he was likely to use before he is no longer able to print his own photographs. The point is that his film cameras are worth plenty to him.

I hear plenty of people say CDs and DVDs are obsolete, but I think that's too broad of a definition. Choosing not to use something doesn't mean it is obsolete when it is still widely available. They're certainly out of style. People choose to watch whatever Netflix is offering up rather than go out of their way to plan ahead and buy or rent dvds.
I hear you. My post was meant to to be light hearted. I'm not sure of paper but film quality will go down with age and yes cold will help it. I'm not an expert but my brother was- a well known professional photographer. To each their own. I will die and still own a metal detector.

I wouldn't worry about it, since the government can't even get rid of the worthless penny. Too much money being made by the mining companies to ever let us go cashless. Coins will never go away as long as there are politicians who will sell their vote on the possible decision to eliminate coinage.

you may be right. The vast quantities of Morgan silver dollars minted was the results of silver mining company owners buying the politician's votes to keep minting the silver dollars that no one used east of the Mississippi river. This kept the price of silver artificially high.

In fact they minted so many of the beautiful dollars that the banks did not have room for them and they store vast quanties of them in post offices in cloths bags. This is why almost all Morgan dollars are in mint condition because they were never circulated. Tons of them were sold to India way back when. The colorful rainbow patina resulted from coins that next to the inside of the bag. Sulfer or some other chemical created that patina.

you may be right. The vast quantities of Morgan silver dollars minted was the results of silver mining company owners buying the politician's votes to keep minting the silver dollars that no one used east of the Mississippi river. This kept the price of silver artificially high.

In fact they minted so many of the beautiful dollars that the banks did not have room for them and they store vast quanties of them in post offices in cloths bags. .......

Sounds familiar. As of a few years ago the federal reserve has over a billion modern dollar coins in storage. They have to keep producing them by law.

https://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137394348/-1-billion-that-nobody-wants

Sounds familiar. As of a few years ago the federal reserve has over a billion modern dollar coins in storage. They have to keep producing them by law.

https://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137394348/-1-billion-that-nobody-wants

the reason I don't keep $1.00 coins is that if I want to carry $10 I do so with a ten dollar bill not 10 freaking coins to wear holes in my pockets. Besides at the end of every day my coins go to a jar not back in my pockets.

Maybe pay welfare recipients in these billions of coins?

Interesting article. A dollar coin may of been a bad idea years ago but with inflation it makes more sense. Go buy a Sunday newspaper from a rack, plan on having 20 quarters. Yes newspapers are going out but the same applies for parking meters etc. Its not cost effective to put card readers on everything at least not at this point. Most importantly I like digging them ;D

The US wanted to go with a dollar coin because they lasted longer. They have a circulation life of years (assuming people would circulate them), as opposed to a much shorter lifespan for dollar bills. I think they only way they would have succeeded was for the dollar bills to disappear, much like Canada did, I think. It would have saved the government money.

I think that the time of the debit card may be coming, like it or not. I'm not a big fan of it though.

-- Tom

Interesting article. A dollar coin may of been a bad idea years ago but with inflation it makes more sense. Go buy a Sunday newspaper from a rack, plan on having 20 quarters. Yes newspapers are going out but the same applies for parking meters etc. Its not cost effective to put card readers on everything at least not at this point. Most importantly I like digging them ;D

In atlanta they have one card reader for say 6 numbered parking spaces. Meter Maid then looks at the time left on each space on the meter.

The US wanted to go with a dollar coin because they lasted longer. They have a circulation life of years (assuming people would circulate them), as opposed to a much shorter lifespan for dollar bills. I think they only way they would have succeeded was for the dollar bills to disappear, much like Canada did, I think. It would have saved the government money.

I think that the time of the debit card may be coming, like it or not. I'm not a big fan of it though.

-- Tom

I still wonder what guy will carry ten or even five heavy coins around in their pockets. I won't.

I still wonder what guy will carry ten or even five heavy coins around in their pockets. I won't.

Heavy?? Maybe compared to a bill but not much different than a quarter. Hell the dollar has the same buying power as a quarter some years ago. Stop printing the dollar and get rid of the penny.

I gotta party with you someday Cowboy! :laughing::laughing:

No wonder you had an awful time at that Dinner party last week! You are a real pip! Nobody wanted to hear your thoughts regarding the Smoot Hawley tariff! In case you havnt noticed...We are entering Idiocracy at warp speed ...making the Costco run in 20 parsnips...All planned for your own good...
(Brought to you by Carls Junior)

Nobody born after 1960 gives a tinkers cuss or even knows what a Silver coin is, and most of them could not tell you todays value of it anyway...so yeah, coins and even any form of physical money is going, going, GONE!

Our only hope to get back to sound money is a massive Carrington Event...Contemplate that on the Tree of Woe...Imagine the ensuing aftermath? Which I'm sure you have...on a rainy evening...

Blue tarps, Bic Lighters and cans of sterno...

4x the buying power per coin too

Attachments

• IMG_20181228_1642561_rewind_kindlephoto-6976707.jpg
    IMG_20181228_1642561_rewind_kindlephoto-6976707.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 417
I have heard several speculative comments on the future of coinage in the US. Including some of my comments.

For instance I have noticed that 5 years ago when going to Quicktrip (a popular chain of high volume gas stations and mini-stores) I could walk the parking lot of say 25 parking spaces and round the pumps each day an easily pick up fifty cents to a dollar’s worth of change. I did that for two years every day when I went each morning to get my coffee.

Now I am lucky if I find a single coin. It is those darn keyless entry fobs for cars that killed that nice little morning collection coffee collection. In the past men pulled a glob of keys out of their pocket and out came the change to be dropped.

But, on a more sinister note, there are rumors that the US government wants to eliminate all paper and coinage and make us go to debit cards. Why? Because it is so easy to track people this way. Supposedly cut down on illegal activity, increase the IRS’s ability to determine any tax fraud and the list goes on.

The other side of the coin is who among the big national players would be against it? Banks – no they make tons of small commissions. big high tech companies – no, they make the software and machines for a cashless society. ACLU – maybe, but they really are fringe players. Local governments? No for the same reason as Federal Government.

We may think that this will happen way into the future, but with current technology and our current batch of idiots we elect to serve? us in Washington anything is possible within 10 years.

So the question is, what happens to our hobby if coins disappear from circulation. Will metal detecting go the way of some many things made obsolete because of the invention the iPhone? The list of items that the iPhone and other smart phones made obsolete is very long and getting longer.

I can see a horrible future where we are chipped and that unique chip is linked to our smart phones and linked to big brother.

You see this right now in China where they have a social credit system where you are rated on your social or anti-social merits in their huge database and your few privileges can be restricted if you don’t follow the party line. WORSE THAN EAST GERMANY DURING THE COLD WAR for those of you who still harbor warm and fuzzy feelings about the Chinese government. Look for more Chinese to try and escape to the US by hook or crook.

How would the metal detector manufacturers react? After say a 10 year period we might not even be able to find clad? I have seen many a post where old timers say that the 1970’s were the golden times for finding silver and gold coins.

What does all this hold for our hobby?

Probably will just upset the clad hunters. People will still be dropping expensive jewelry unless that is outlawed by the government. You laugh, there was a time not too far back when you could not legally own gold in the US.

Maybe the more technically inclined detectorists will become hackers or bitcoin harvesters.

Just food for thought on the supper rainy day in Atlanta.

Your comment above made me think of this...….

(This is not meant to start a religious discussion as that and political discussions are restricted on the forum so as to prevent possible heated arguments), but this is just to simply add that many think when the chip implant becomes mandatory it will then be the mark of the beast prophesied in the Bible in Revelation 13:16-17 so I would avoid getting it no matter what.

I gotta party with you someday Cowboy! :laughing::laughing:

No wonder you had an awful time at that Dinner party last week! You are a real pip! Nobody wanted to hear your thoughts regarding the Smoot Hawley tariff! In case you havnt noticed...We are entering Idiocracy at warp speed ...making the Costco run in 20 parsnips...All planned for your own good...
(Brought to you by Carls Junior)

Nobody born after 1960 gives a tinkers cuss or even knows what a Silver coin is, and most of them could not tell you todays value of it anyway...so yeah, coins and even any form of physical money is going, going, GONE!

Our only hope to get back to sound money is a massive Carrington Event...Contemplate that on the Tree of Woe...Imagine the ensuing aftermath? Which I'm sure you have...on a rainy evening...

Blue tarps, Bic Lighters and cans of sterno...

I thought I was well read. But never heard of the Carrington Event. Looked it up on Wikipedia. Yep, today that would fry our grid and who knows what else. It might even charge up all our Equinox detectors and wireless headphones.

I used to point out to McDonald's window clerks about the value of silver coins and would get a blank stare in return.

I gave up on that and now I just flat out lie to them. I show them a wheat penny tell them the average wheat penny is worth $300 and some like the 1914 wheat penny is worth $10,000. That gets them looking for wheats. It does make me smile thinking about how happy they will be for a while when they find a wheat penny in the till.

I challenge all forum members to do the same and brighten up the lives of all the fast food clerks working the fast food drive in windows in America. Give them something to look for when they are doing probably the most boring and low paid job in America. And maybe, just maybe one of them will find a 1909S vdb!

Your comment above made me think of this...….

(This is not meant to start a religious discussion as that and political discussions are restricted on the forum so as to prevent possible heated arguments), but this is just to simply add that many think when the chip implant becomes mandatory it will then be the mark of the beast prophesied in the Bible in Revelation 13:16-17 so I would avoid getting it no matter what.
And technically, we are already chipped via cell phone/credit cards.

Back
Top Bottom