New here, need some advice

oblivion321

First off, I'm from the Binghamton NY area and would like to start detecting. It was my 11 year old daughters idea, and after watching countless videos with her, I am fascinated. We are an outdoors type family and spend a great deal of time fishing, camping, hiking, etc, so it seems like another great way to spend some outdoor time. After looking around and reading reviews I purchased a 1st Texas Titan 9000 (http://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/titan-9000) for her for Christmas. Problem is I don't have a detector myself. I was thinking about buying a second Titan for myself or should I hold out and buy a Garrett ace 300. I am positive that this will be a hobby we will stick with because of the nature of our lifestyle. Any opinions on the 2 machines would be very helpful in my decision. This looks like a great forum and am anxious to purchase what I need over the winter and get learning and digging in the spring. Till then I will keep reading here and checking out your finds. Thank you, Bruce.

Cool! "I am positive this is a hobby we will stick with because of the nature of our Lifestyle".....I really like that line! And as such, you might want to get your hands on an ATPro...should be some nice ones for sale as the Winter progresses...

A lot of us hunt right on through the Winter on account of our nature...We gotta be out exploring...Thats our Lifestyle!!
Mud

Thank you for the reply. The AT Pro is a little more than I'd like to spend right out of the gate. Any opinions or comparisons on the 2 machines I was looking at? After I get my nose in the dirt so to speak, and learn a bit, I figured I would pass a machine on and get a better one for myself.

:welcome2: from South Carolina!

My only hands on experience is with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV which is a basic low cost entry level model, so I can't offer any advice on the ones you mentioned.

Thank you for the reply. The AT Pro is a little more than I'd like to spend right out of the gate. Any opinions or comparisons on the 2 machines I was looking at? After I get my nose in the dirt so to speak, and learn a bit, I figured I would pass a machine on and get a better one for myself.

I hear you there about the initial outlay of cash decision...but you are thinking about this aspect all WRONG! :laughing:..A lot of us did that very same thing only to upgrade later, and not get any kind of resale on our first purchase...If you think you are going to stick in this Sport..start out with that one...!

The AtPro is a proven rig in many genres of this Sport, from old dirt silver, clad, water gold, inland jewelry, etc...it also holds a decent resale value just in case you have to unload it...Dont think about the initial spend, make that rig PAY for itself! You should try to start out with a good rig that you can trust and then learn it...

Plenty of posts here of Pro Runners really hitting it huge, myself included, hell, I hung back for 2yrs reading all about it before I pulled the trigger and finally whipped out a CC!..:laughing:....

Its just one of those unique rigs that will pay itself off quickly, and fits your personality style of all weather outdoorsmanship...easy to learn, simple to run, its THE tool to have if you gotta have only one rig...

One of our fine sponsors will give you a hell of a deal, or buy one used from a Forum Member if you prefer...I have a Fisher F70 and an AtPro, they make a great team!
Mud

To answer your question directly, hold out for an ace 300. As for some good advice, the ATpro is a great machine and you can find used ones at a reasonable price. Later you could get an AtPro for yourself and pass the Ace 300 on to your daughter.

HH

Thank you guys for the responses. I'm not looking for any monetary returns if I buy a cheaper machine and upgrade later. I would love to jump on the AT Pro right off, but it's not in my budget right now with the holidays coming. Whatever I choose will not get wasted down the line. It will be passed down. Any opinions on the machine posted in the link?

I have to go with AT Pro also, if you already know you will stay with this hobby. Buying an intro machine is just that, for a basic introduction to the hobby to test if you want to stay with it. I'm 6 months in, bought an intro type detector and am already upgrading to the moderate, stick with it, level on an AT Pro.

Wanting to hop into the hobby is fun and exciting, but with intro gear it can sometimes be frustrating. There are great detectors in the intro range, but there is only so much you can learn with them. I find part of the fun is not being able to have your detector fully mastered in 6 months so you are still surprised by what comes up from the dirt. The AT Pro accomplishes this because it is a little more complex than intro detectors, not as in harder to operate but just more information available that you can to process if you want to. JMO...

Looked at your link and that seems like a really good deal for $100, I don't know anything about the 9000 though... I'm sure it'll help you learn the basics thoroughly with the 2 coil deal though.

:welcome2: from Texas!

Thank you guys for your welcomes and opinions. The machine I provided the link for is the one I bought my daughter for Christmas. I'm sure she'll stick with it also and thinking ahead that can be passed along to my 6 year old if he shows an interest. So far, I am enjoying the posts on this forum. I will keep you updated.

Look into the Tesoro line . They have a life time warranty. Very light weight.
A silver uMax is a very good detector. Even their little Compadre is a blast to use. Just don't get the same type detector that you get the little girl. They will chatter to each other if you get close. That can drive you nuts. Just take a look at Tesoro.. Good luck and have fun... KEN

Not everyone can afford to buy an AT Pro or some other higher priced detector. I know I can't. There are a lot of detectors that don't cost as much that will work just fine. You might even look at some used machines. If you do get the same detector that you got for your daughter, you won;t be able to detect very close to her because the detectors will interfere with each other since they are on the same frequency. Look into getting headphones. They will help hearing weak signals and your batteries will last longer. Knee pads are nice too. I use them and find them at low prices at thrift stores. Garrett makes a nice pinpointer but you can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight to get you started. They are a big help but you can get by without one if you have to. Just pass the dirt past your coil. They hadn't been invented yet when I started. You can always upgrade everything later if you find you enjoy the hobby. Give it a chance and I think you will. Just remember to fill your holes and try to leave the area as you found it.

Not everyone can afford to buy an AT Pro or some other higher priced detector. I know I can't. There are a lot of detectors that don't cost as much that will work just fine. You might even look at some used machines. If you do get the same detector that you got for your daughter, you won;t be able to detect very close to her because the detectors will interfere with each other since they are on the same frequency. Look into getting headphones. They will help hearing weak signals and your batteries will last longer. Knee pads are nice too. I use them and find them at low prices at thrift stores. Garrett makes a nice pinpointer but you can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight to get you started. They are a big help but you can get by without one if you have to. Just pass the dirt past your coil. They hadn't been invented yet when I started. You can always upgrade everything later if you find you enjoy the hobby. Give it a chance and I think you will. Just remember to fill your holes and try to leave the area as you found it.

The AT Pro is very tempting, but I just can't swing it right now. I feel good about the detector I chose for my daughter. It seems to be the same as the BH Timeranger and has some very good reviews for a simple starter machine. I'm not in a huge rush right now, because the NY soil will be frozen solid soon anyway. I forgot to mention, I've kind of been a treasure hunter of sorts anyway. I've spent a lot of time rummaging through old buildings and have a coin stash already without ever picking up a detector. I'll start a new thread with some pics of my coins when I get a little time. I'm going to like it here. You guys are awesome and have made me feel welcome even if I haven't gotten my nose in the dirt yet. I'll keep you updated.

Wise decision to get a second and join her.

Now what to do when on a budget?? BUY USED! I own 9 machines and bought 7 used and always been happy. Check eBay, Craigslist and pawn shops and you'll save a small bundle that you can use for a pinpointer (also buy used on eBay!).

Now what to buy? An Ace 250 is a great machine. In fact I started with 2 (new) and found and learned a lot and still occasionally use them.

Good luck.

You might see if you can find a Fisher F2. I liked it better than my Ace 250 even though I like Garrett machines. I guess they are going to quit making the F2 for a newer version. It is still one of the best detectors for the money.

Welcome from Indiana!!

Had a Ace 250 before getting my AT Pro, the biggest thing I like about the AT Pro is the iron discrimination that helps distinguish between coins and iron or junk metal.

I have an ACE 400 and I got my son the 300. If I could go back I would've purchased 2 300's and 2 PP's. Having 1 PP sucks as we're always "fighting" over it. I have found half my clad under park benches with the PP alone! My kids love hunting with it as much as the darn 300. :)

I have an ACE 400 and I got my son the 300. If I could go back I would've purchased 2 300's and 2 PP's. Having 1 PP sucks as we're always "fighting" over it. I have found half my clad under park benches with the PP alone! My kids love hunting with it as much as the darn 300. :)

Great tip! Pinpointer is great for being able to get under to those places a coil won't reach. I've found about 1/4th my clad this way just because the narrow feild of the pinpointer vs the coil, indicating metal above the coil because it's too tight.

Back
Top Bottom