Re: equinox 800

Just my .02...

Ive been using the nox for almost a year now, and no matter what i do, i cannot avoid digging deep rusty square nails. I typically run park 2/field 2, sens 20-22, iron bias 3-5 depending on the location. Noise cancel and ground balance often.

Just a thought, why not just use the 2 Field programs (coin/relic) to start and really learn the machine, and then tweek as you see fit once youre more comfortable with it? Im not trying to question youre 50 yrs of experience, just a suggestion since the nox is a fantastic machine out of the box.

Relics are my main area of interest--I will give it a try-- Thanks!

I hate to keep asking dumb questions, but the level of frustration with my new Equinox 800 is growing with each passing day! I have had it about a month and have become fairly familiar with the functions, but when I try to input a program for relics, I seem to either get a bunch of false readings and/or chatter. Frustrated, I revert to the factory preset settings, but feel like I am missing a lot of good targets. I input a custom program today and got several good hits very deep, but they all turned out to be old rusty nails! Back to factory preset!
I guess my dumb question of the day is--although i realize all hunts and ground conditions are different, is there a preset series of adjustments I can input and save that would be good for relic hunting and eliminate all those nails! It would also have to be a fairly simple input for my feeble mind--the more advanced the settings, the more chances I have to get into trouble!
Here's how I start--maybe you can help me from here or just tell me to start over!
1. I choose a program area (i.e. field 2 for instance), noise cancel. and then proceed to set the numbers for each function. I ground balance at 0, adjust volume to 25 (1,4,25,25,25) threshold 2, pitch 4, tones 5 (1,2,16,16,19,25) and here's where I get lost for a section. My next adjustments are recovery speed 5 and iron bias 2. I'm sure I have left out some important steps and probably inaccurate numbers.

I am not giving you advice. Others are doing that. I had my 800 since March 2018 and spent most of the year being frustrated and asking dumb questions here and other metal detecting forums. Clive Clynick's two books on the 800 helped me a whole lot. read both of them twice and still refer to them from time to time. They are just the right size to place on the top of your toilet tank like we used to do with the Reader's Digest. They didn't make the Reader's Digest small sized by accident.

Hi,
Some great advice is being given here. For you relic hunters back east: listen and read carefully whatever tnsharpshooter says. He may not be right all of the time (he usually is spot on though!) but he will not lead you in the wrong direction. He works really hard at relic hunting and is constantly testing in all kinds of conditions. Watch his videos and look at or try anything he recommends.

For you guys that are struggling with modern steel alloys. Test some targets in every possible mode and configuration and use the horseshoe button to toggle in and out of preset discrimination patterns to give you more information to possibly identify targets. Park 1 and Field 1 will usually react very differently to Park 2 and Field 2 on steel alloys of all kinds, modern nails, bolts, nuts and spacers. Usually Park 1 and Field 1 will give lower single digit numbers which may extend down into the negative numbers on those targets depending on how long they have been oxidizing and their depth. Park 2 and Field 2 usually will give upper single digits on into the teens and even low twenties on steel and even some older high carbon iron. Modern steel obviously has iron as the base metal but it can have as much as 20% alloy components like carbon, chromium, tungsten, vanadium, cobalt, manganese, molybdenum, nickel and zinc to name a few which generally raises those iron numbers up into the non-ferrous range. Most of the time they will give slightly jumpy numbers and odd sounding audio which will often cross over tone breaks which doesn't sound like coins, quality jewelry, lead or brass targets. Just practice on steel bottle caps and learn what they sound like and how the numbers jump around from different directions of detection in each mode. Most desirable quality targets unless they are really deep (past 8" or so) are going to give you good, solid numbers in moderate to mild dirt.

just my experiences and opinions from a retired person with plenty of time to experiment.
thanks,
Jeff

When I got my EqX 800.
I put it through the ringer.
I subjected it to situations I thought would give clues to its behavior.
And when actually hunting how this behavior carried over.

Old buried rusty iron whatever, this is one area one can’t really see doing test in a newer test garden or on top of the ground using iron infant.

User must use in the wild too see the real deal here with this.

EQx users (new ones), detector will light up bolts, washers made of steel.
Seems algorithms is not just based on conductivity but shape too. Bent nails a
Say at 90 degrees to horse shape will give good signals too.

EQx will also at times give signal on vertical standing square nails in the ground.
One thing a user will notice when watching spot on ground where actual detection exist. If you dig and your find is way off the mark. Good chance of suspended vertically square nail. These can be a real bugger too to find due to being so far off to the side of spot detected. One pushing Eqx in older sites this digging these will and can happen.

Xp deus elliptical Hf coil behaves a lot like Eqx on the vertical square nails suspended while using 28.8khz and 74khz bands.

I strongly encourage folks to use and get to know prospecting modes. Especially hunting in already pounded sites using field and park detect modes. (Good ground Balance is critical and tracking GB is good to use too. And frequent reground balances are smart to do). And use in sites where Xp Deus (any and all coils have lived). Prospecting modes work in and around iron. I promise. Rhythm of tones provided and actual duration are the real keys in being successful using prospecting modes. If I were lost or was looking for habitation or previous older human activity via iron and nails using EQX, prospecting mode 1 is VERY good to use. Best separation and unmasking and best depth achieved. I use primarily prospecting mode 1 or gold 1 mode.
EQX 800 using gold mode 1 will strike deeper vs say the park and field modes using equivalent speed setting like 6, and while deeper prospecting mode 1 unmask and separates better.
Site with lots of modern trash obviously this detect mode a bad idea.
Gold modes can give ID of targets depending on detecting scenario.

Last edited:
Yes--I've been detecting for about fifty years-started with a Coinmaster IV, and have subsequently used many other detectors. My current go to's are White's MXT and Technetics T2SE. The Technetics gave me some trouble initially, but now I THINK I am using it correctly. Not sure why the 800 is giving me so much trouble, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, thanks to all of you!

I still love the mxt over alot of newer detectors, 50 years is awesome

Back
Top Bottom