Finally found something that I can put in this section

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I don't look at the Stories and Picture Finds sub-forum much. Actually hardly ever because I quite jealous of all the goodies that everyone else but me seem to find. Yes I am happy for you guys, but it is a constant reminder of my lack of finds.

Finally I have something to post. In between days of rain, I finally went hunting in an area close to home. Not much there but a couple of old home sites and two bottle dumps hunted several times with my AT Pro. But what the heck I had not been out hunting in about two weeks due to rain and my wife being home on the holidays with her every present honey do list. And I wanted to see what the nox could do.

So being on familiar territory, I was walking to the home sites about 250 yards from the road into the woods. Going down the hill towards the creek I spot what I think is a back pack. A muddy back pack at that. Well, well, well I thought this could be interesting. Keep in mind that this was 7:00 am in the morning.

Without even thinking about a terrorists bomb, I picked up the back pack. well I am still here typing with both hands and it was not a bomb. But shucks, it was solid and heavy probably about 30 lbs. Unzipping it revealed either the worlds biggest coins or a set of drummer's cymbals. My usual luck, no coins.

What in the heck is a backpack full of cymbals doing out in a section of the woods that nobody but a bored but ever hopeful metal detectorist would go?

Then it hit me that darn, these things might be worth some money on eBay. Rather than lug the back pack with me while detecting, I went back home to figure out what I had found.

My wife greeted me as usual with her stock half hearted question, did you find anything? Just few big coins and invited her out to the garage work bench to see the 9 big brass cymbals laid out.

I told her about the find and she said you need to call the police and see if anyone has reported those stolen. Right I answered with what I thought was just the right amount of sarcasm. Well you should at least post photos on craigs list and nextdoor to find the poor owner. sure honey, I replied as I was thinking about the 15" coil I could buy for my Nox 800 if I sold these suckers on eBay. But then I frowned at the thought of the Ditch Witch mini back hoe I would have to rent to dig my finds with that monster coil.

So do I call the police or post on craigs list or sell on eBay and buy the 15 inch coil?

Last edited:
Cool find! Go with what your gut says. Really doesn't matter what others opinions are. Do what feels the best to you! No judgement or comment from me, whatever your decision is.

:pirates::pirates:

Finders, keepers, losers, weepers!
I found a phone last month and posted in on CL.
Over the course of 3 weeks, I received 3 texts, all bogus.
One guy was even rude and disgusting...
I threw it in the trash:no:

There's about a zero percent chance a drummer had an insurance policy to cover it. I can only say what I would do. I'd post a vague description and see if somebody can describe them more detail. If nobody can do it after a few weeks then I'd sell them.

Not sure what it's worth, but if its unique and has identifiable marks, I would try to find the owner.

I generally look at situations like this as how I would feel if I were the person who lost them?

Maybe they belong to the Travelling Nun Band? :lol::lol:

Might check with the local paper, as some will run "lost and found" ads for free. Even if you paid, request reimbursement from owner, if found.

I'd be vague with description, and hope someone doesn't see this post :laughing:

I don't look at the Stories and Picture Finds sub-forum much. Actually hardly ever because I quite jealous of all the goodies that everyone else but me seem to find. Yes I am happy for you guys, but it is a constant reminder of my lack of finds.

Finally I have something to post. In between days of rain, I finally went hunting in an area close to home. Not much there but a couple of old home sites and two bottle dumps hunted several times with my AT Pro. But what the heck I had not been out hunting in about two weeks due to rain and my wife being home on the holidays with her every present honey do list. And I wanted to see what the nox could do.

So being on familiar territory, I was walking to the home sites about 250 yards from the road into the woods. Going down the hill towards the creek I spot what I think is a back pack. A muddy back pack at that. Well, well, well I thought this could be interesting. Keep in mind that this was 7:00 am in the morning.

Without even thinking about a terrorists bomb, I picked up the back pack. well I am still here typing with both hands and it was not a bomb. But shucks, it was solid and heavy probably about 30 lbs. Unzipping it revealed either the worlds biggest coins or a set of drummer's cymbals. My usual luck, no coins.

What in the heck is a backpack full of cymbals doing out in a section of the woods that nobody but a bored but ever hopeful metal detectorist would go?

Then it hit me that darn, these things might be worth some money on eBay. Rather than lug the back pack with me while detecting, I went back home to figure out what I had found.

My wife greeted me as usual with her stock half hearted question, did you find anything? Just few big coins and invited her out to the garage work bench to see the 9 big brass cymbals laid out.

I told her about the find and she said you need to call the police and see if anyone has reported those stolen. Right I answered with what I thought was just the right amount of sarcasm. Well you should at least post photos on craigs list and nextdoor to find the poor owner. sure honey, I replied as I was thinking about the 15" coil I could buy for my Nox 800 if I sold these suckers on eBay. But then I frowned at the thought of the Ditch Witch mini back hoe I would have to rent to dig my finds with that monster coil.

So do I call the police or post on craigs list or sell on eBay and buy the 15 inch coil?

There was nothing in the pack that I could use to identify the owner. But I would suspect that the real owner could tell me sizes, correct number of cymbals and two other non-valuable items in the pack. I will check nextdoor.com and craigslist for the item being reported lost. Then post a vague description so that the true owner would have to know the exact number, size and mfg of the different cymbals.

I figured it had to be either thieves or a pi**ed off drummer's girl friend who dumped them. Do drummers have a penchant for pi**ing off their girl friends?

There is a very good chance those are stolen and dumped. I think your wife is right and a call to the police is in order. I could see you post them for sale on Ebay, then the knock on the door and your explanation to the boys in blue. Trapper

Obviously Stolen!! Somebody decided they were too heavy to haul off along with whatever else they got...probably guns...Go back out in there and have another look and see if you can discern the scoundrels path...might be more along there...

Look for evidence of some other stash places like disturbed leaves at the base of a tree or log....Humans are pretty easy to track, they generally follow the path of least resistance...

Report back! This is so Cool! You could be a big Hero! Written up in the papers! Picked up by FOX! "Local Boy cracks Burglury Ring! :laughing:

I know nothing of drums but would it really be worth it to a thief to take apart a drum kit for just the cymbals? I’d probably post some ads and try to see if any owners popped up. Police may know of a theft that has occurred even if no one sees your ad

The cymbals were probably taken from a van or truck owned by a band, that's why the cymbals were in a gig bag. Drum set has to be broken down to transport. If you offer them for sale and they were stolen that could make you look like the thief if the owner sees your ad or EBay listing. Around here anyway, if you turn found property into the police, you can claim it if owner is not found in a certain period.

Sure sounds like they were stolen and dumped. If they were then popo should know who lost them. They may have been insured or lost many moons ago and forgotten. Seems to me the right thing to do is report find and also cover your azz.

To me this would be a tricky find . I would attempt to locate the rightful owner as they were most likely stolen. I think a stop at some local music stores and even a pawn shop to investigate if anyone has stopped in and let them know or to watch for stolen percussion items .
I do not trust authority's to do the leg work . If you want to check in locally for any stolen item reports yourself that would be appropriate.
I would not turn them in or leave an accurate discription such as zigin or paisty crash or ride or high hat or sizes .
The owner will know exactly what each is !
They are not cheap items if they are quality.

You will have no problem selling them when you are content with your efforts .
Just my advise . Finders keepers and nobody needs to know where they were found .
Congradulations on the great find đź‘Ť Long live the 80's
,Dew

Attachments

• IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 267
Definately a cool find. My theory is some teenager was a wanna be drummer and his/her parents got so sick of them beating on the things a 2am that they waited for them to goto school, pulled the symbols off the set, took them out to some secluded area of the woods and dumped them. They then returned home and had the best night sleep they've had in months.

Definately a cool find. My theory is some teenager was a wanna be drummer and his/her parents got so sick of them beating on the things a 2am that they waited for them to goto school, pulled the symbols off the set, took them out to some secluded area of the woods and dumped them. They then returned home and had the best night sleep they've had in months.

I can relate to that. My son at 12 wanted to learn the drums. I convinced him and agreed to buy him a bass guitar. His best buddy got his mom to buy him a drum set. Two months later over a glass of wine she ask where did you get so frigging smart and know not buy your son a drum set?

Back
Top Bottom