One Shot, One Kill, One Ben Franklin

scaupus

Don't you love those one shot, one kill recoveries? I remember last February, I walked into a park, put my detector coil to the ground, got a target signal, dug it, and it was a gold medallion. (blingfinder.blogger.com, Feb 3rd, 2013, "Gold Medallion".)

Well, it happened again. I was driving round to yard and estate sales Saturday morning, and I had visited a few already and made some good buys. This was a fairly antique neighborhood with a lot of likely looking properties for metal detecting for silver coins later that afternoon. As I rounded a corner, I saw a fairly long swale (grass strip by the street, no curb) in front of a house that just wouldn't wait for the afternoon. I'm not sure why. I pulled right over, and got out my detector.

I covered that swale along the front of the house in just a few minutes and didn't find a signal I wanted to dig. I was reluctant to leave so quickly without digging even one target, so I stopped to check closer around the base of this big black olive tree, and right up against the trunk I got an improbable target ...it was flipping between a half dollar and a dollar. That flipping, and the rarity of a coin target that high on the scale, indicated to me that it was probably garbage. But it was a tight clean signal, and it was only flipping one division, so I dug it.

A 1952 Ben Franklin half was the source of that signal.

The improbable propinquity between me and that coin that urged me to pull over as I was passing by in an automobile at 30mph on important and time-sensitive business elsewhere just delights me.

Serendipity...there's nothing like it.

i would call it the result of a seasoned hunter with an eye for old locations, and the smarts to hit it when you had a chance. good digs!

i've found 6 or 7 silver halves in sidewalk and curb strips. its always a spot that any smart hunter will hit!

Rationally, y'all are right. This find is not supernatural by the numbers. I have found five silver halves out of somewhat over a hundred silver coins dug, so they are not a rare find for me in my area.

Yet, I was a little dazzled when I found a Ben Franklin in the only hole I dug after a quickie, unplanned stop.

And that feeling of bedazzlement that we sometimes experience, whether rational or not, is what is so addicting about this thing that we do.

Congratulations on your big silver! I have yet to find any silvers at curb strips. I hunted some in front of some old houses yesterday where the o rings are still in place for the old horse carriages

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

Like WOW Man. the stars and moon must have been somewhere aligned somewhere to make that coin send such a serendipity signal.Or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom