• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Finally found the oldest pull tabs - Zip tabs

TCosbyJr

Forum Supporter
As my dad and me are still looking to find our first silver coins we took a road trip to a old park on Saturday. The park was one that my aunt always found silver coins (back in the 90's) but it appears to have been thoroughly searched since then.

The oldest coin was found by my dad, a 1912 S wheat penny, so we went back again Sunday to make sure we didn't miss anything.

finds-7-14-12.jpg

My interesting finds were a Charm It! cellphone charm, a .22 cal short bullet shell (found a bullet shell/casing at nearly every park now, very strange), phone ringer/bell? (by the thumbtack), and the shiny item in the middle is a button cell battery. My counts were 4 quarters, 4 dimes, 1 nickle, 10 pennies, and 7 pull tabs (whole and pieces).

The majority of my clad came from one large pocket spill beside a volleyball net (the rest was from the totlot, including the charm). I assume the pocket spill was from someone that missed the volleyball and hit the ground hard - as change was in a about a one foot area and some at deeper depths.

finds-7-15-12.jpg

The 2nd day of detecting turned out much less coinage for me (but the opposite for my dad), but I did find some old pull tabs the zip tabs. I found a total of 4 zip tabs, in two different styles. While they are not worth anything I think they were my best finds of the trip.

As I got all the coins I could in the typical areas the first day, I decided to working at finding silver coins missed by other MDers. This included hard to get to spots, areas littered with trash, beside the road/edge of the park, and similar places.

I dug a lot of trash to make sure there wasn't any silver hidden below, and I dug questionable signals/finds to ensure I wasn't missing any on edge. For my trouble I got a heaping mound of canslaw, 5 screw caps, 2 bottle caps, a pile of metal from a old pipe or flower bed edging, 2 bolts, 9 pull tabs, 4 zip tabs, and 4 pennies.

There were lots of friendly people at the park, all of which asked if we were finding anything good. Seems MDers are a common sight which explained everything. In the end we had a great trip over to the old town park twice, found some interesting finds, but we are still looking for our first silver so the quest continues.

You should send a bill to the park authorities for cleaning up the area and making it safe for children.
I wish you luck in your future searches.

You should send a bill to the park authorities for cleaning up the area and making it safe for children.
I wish you luck in your future searches.

I figure what I do manage to clean is worth them allowing me to detect the park. A way to give back to them for giving me permission to MD.

Would be a interesting service to offer parks though - clean the litter off the ground and up to 10" below as well. If I was to dig/bag all the trash I detected or seen on the ground I would have filled several trash bags.

I do find it hard to believe anyone would run full metal/no discrimination on their MDs at parks - it would require weeks of digging to get everything anywhere I have been.

Thanks and GL & HH to you as well.

Back
Top Bottom