Deus reactivity and silencer

bibelot

Forum Supporter
Should you or shouldn't you stray away from Deus reactivity and silencer settings. ?The settings automatically change the silencer setting when changing the reactivity setting but then should you change the silencer setting or keep it at what the change went to ?

I switched reactivity settings to 5, silencer to -1 and using full tones which when switching to 5 on the reactivity, it automatically adjusted to the silencer to 1.I then dropped it to -1.It worked well for me in super high trash yesterday but probably pure luck. I pulled a handful of coins, oldest a 1927 wheat in my not knowing what I am doing.:lol:

Should you or shouldn't you stray away from Deus reactivity and silencer settings. ?The settings automatically change the silencer setting when changing the reactivity setting but then should you change the silencer setting or keep it at what the change went to ?

I switched reactivity settings to 5, silencer to -1 and using full tones which when switching to 5 on the reactivity, it automatically adjusted to the silencer to 1.I then dropped it to -1.It worked well for me in super high trash yesterday but probably pure luck. I pulled a handful of coins, oldest a 1927 wheat in my not knowing what I am doing.:lol:

Your detector sure doesn't act like my 2 Deus units.
Version 4.0 compared to version 3.2 as far as reactvity vs silencer setting uaing reactvity levels 3-5, my units automatically dial silencer to -1.
This with factory programs. I can do what I want with saved programs.

And the new 2.5 reactvity version 4.0 brings, it too when selected will cause silencer to be set to -1.

As far as reactvity level 5.
I don't use.
I do use 4 sometimes especially with the 11" coil.

Level 5 in my opinion may indeed offer some thing for folks running the 11x13" coil in sites with heavier iron.
But this here what I am saying is only speculation, I have never had the monster sized coil.

Even running reactivity level 5 using the 9 or 11" coils users should be prepared to hear some super duper short tones provided on nonferrous objects.
Coil sweep speed does need to be Managed well here if one chooses to use.
Depth limited too.
Cheers.

Your detector sure doesn't act like my 2 Deus units.
Version 4.0 compared to version 3.2 as far as reactvity vs silencer setting uaing reactvity levels 3-5, my units automatically dial silencer to -1.
This with factory programs. I can do what I want with saved programs.

And the new 2.5 reactvity version 4.0 brings, it too when selected will cause silencer to be set to -1.

As far as reactvity level 5.
I don't use.
I do use 4 sometimes especially with the 11" coil.

Level 5 in my opinion may indeed offer some thing for folks running the 11x13" coil in sites with heavier iron.
But this here what I am saying is only speculation, I have never had the monster sized coil.

Even running reactivity level 5 using the 9 or 11" coils users should be prepared to hear some super duper short tones provided on nonferrous objects.
Coil sweep speed does need to be Managed well here if one chooses to use.
Depth limited too.
Cheers.

I was using the 11" coil. At least you are with me on that doesn't seem normal. From my limited experience, usually the lower the reactivity setting produces more as it tends to see the tiniest of objects. The area I was at is around a set of bleachers in a soccer field. It is heavily layered with pull tabs and aluminum foil and other !!!! but the area is small and I have been over it a thousand times before, even with the deus in 9" coil but without the remote to change the expert settings. It is difficult to comprehend that a high reactivity picked the coins out using full tones, I was in 12 kHz disc setting of 8 sensitivity at 85 which is the lowest sens setting I've ever used. I went back this morning with a 9" coil, used program #3 and bumped the reactivity down to 2.5 and silencer at 0 ,I picked a few more coins out plus some other !!!! but tones were better when I hit a coin.

As you said in reactivity 5, the tones are short but that is all you get anyways as the coil picks up the next target which is nearly on top of each other. Listen for the high tone squeak and you will sort a coin out of it or copper wire or some other bit and pieces.

DSC03181.JPG

Using the Deus.
Can a person expect to run one set of settings and clean out a site?
Not likely.

Will require multiple hunts with multiple settings.
And yes emi with it variations on a particualr site as well as ground moisture can be players too.

Running lower reactivity, yes some smaller targets can be brought to life tonally vs higher reactvity.
This can be attributed to either or target audio strength or tonal duration.

Some thing here for folks new to Deus to consider.

Lower reactvity can yield a person a little more coil height and allow some finds to be made,,,like in somewhat taller grass.
Good sweep speed coil movement is necessary since Deus isn't separating as well vs a higher reactivity.

Also, audio reporting level setting.
Even though version 4 it seems offers some advantage here vs version 3.2. A user needs IMO to run audio report at 5 or higher when trying to clean out a site with Deus.

Also worth noting, 12 khz will in fact not separate as well as 18khz setting.
Some nonferrous in iron will slip by using 12khz vs using 18khz.
This will hinge on the actual detecting scenario for each individual nonferrous target beneath the soil's surface.
Coin size items obviously are not as easily hidden on average vs say smaller targets, even jewelry chains etc.

Folks using Deus, just remember just because you are using certain settings and indeed making finds, don't get too much tunnel vision here thinking you are using the necessarily absolute best settings to find all the goodies.
In a site that has a good detecting history especially, these are the sites to consider alternative settings for detecting.

Deus is an animal, where a user can move the coil extremely extremely slow and yet the Deus can produce in a site ridden with heavy nails.

To sum up Deus when hunting in heavy iron and nails.
Deus is what I call a rthym detector.
Listen to the music the detector plays running full tones.
When the rthym is interrupted,,,this is when it is time to start investigating the spot.

When in iron infested areas, I cranked sensitivity to 95, hit expert change tx power to 3. reactivity to 1 hit expert changed silencer at 0.I'm not thinking that is normal either but it works for me.:lol:

When in iron infested areas, I cranked sensitivity to 95, hit expert change tx power to 3. reactivity to 1 hit expert changed silencer at 0.I'm not thinking that is ormal either but it works for me.:lol:

You can hunt using any settings you want.
In heavy iron and nails, I likely would use tx power levels 1 and 2.
Seldom would I choose level 3.

Btw, in my soil tx power 3 yield no performance gains,,,actually you lose some depth.
Remember I get about half scale on minerlization index meter,,,milder soil some depth advantage is possible using a level 3 setting.

I went back this morning with the Deus, 9 " coil.I used the sifter program but bumped it up to Calabash settings.Not a lot but it is knowing that there has been countless times that I have searched the area.You can see that there are older coins in the mix if you can see them in the mess they came out of.When I dug the nickel,I seen the P on the back and knew it was a war nickel.Not expecting that there but I am happy to take it.DSC03182.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03185.JPG
    DSC03185.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 574
I have to agree with TNSS a TX setting of 3 in heavily trash infested area is futile. As a Andy S says, it's like using your high beams in heavy fog.
I like to keep my reactivity set a 2.5 to 3 and silencer to -1. I have been able to pull some good targets out of some pretty trash areas with these settings.
I have heard others saying that sensitivity of 80 is plenty but I prefer to keep mine as high as I can without a lot of needless chatter.
Biblot I think I know the area you are speaking of and I think the 9" coil with a reactivity of 3-4 and a silencer of -1 - +1 should give you good results.
If you are free for a couple hours early tomorrow maybe we can get together for a hunt. PM me if you are up to it.

I have to agree with TNSS a TX setting of 3 in heavily trash infested area is futile. As a Andy S says, it's like using your high beams in heavy fog.
I like to keep my reactivity set a 2.5 to 3 and silencer to -1. I have been able to pull some good targets out of some pretty trash areas with these settings.
I have heard others saying that sensitivity of 80 is plenty but I prefer to keep mine as high as I can without a lot of needless chatter.
Biblot I think I know the area you are speaking of and I think the 9" coil with a reactivity of 3-4 and a silencer of -1 - +1 should give you good results.
If you are free for a couple hours early tomorrow maybe we can get together for a hunt. PM me if you are up to it.

Not to mention that TX 3 really shortens your battery life. Lol. Previous to the deus,I came away multiple times with nothing found there. The CTX pulled a silver dime out of it and clad earlier but its overwhelming a bit if you try to run a open screen but its nice to know there are still stuff there. I can set disc at 1 and it calms the deus, I ran the disc as high as 8 through it just seeing how changes affect it. Finds are always nice when flying by the seat of your pants, thinking there are no wrong settings for the deus. It 'll still hunt no matter how inefficient the person is while running it.

Does anyone have an opinion on preset factory reactivity/silencer settings ?

Bibelot,
Reactivity setting for depth depends on your ground minerals.

Pump your coil you see no or a couple ticks in the mineralization meter,,,lower reactivity settings like 1 and 2 will do nicely.

You see half scale when pumping coil, levels 2, 2.5, and 3 will work nicely.

You see 3/4 scale on the mineralization index meter relativity levels 2.5, 3 and 4 are the players.

Most folks in the northeast should,be able to run levels 1 and 2 for good depth.

Remember tX power setting 3 can yield some additional depth in milder ground.

Silencer setting.
IMO a user should always be using level 0 or -1.
In milder ground 0 will work.
When the minerals amp up some in the ground -1 better setting.

Silencer can affect depth,,,will decrease and increase tone duration of nonferous targets.

Now, even when you are looking for deep targets,,say you are running reactivity setting level 1 and silencer at 0 or 1,,, don't be swinging through a site like a mad man.

For scouting swinging like a mad man may be ok to do.

Now, for beginners using Deus, the factory default reactive and silencer settings will make the Deus less sparky,,hence a new person may not feel as overwhelmed.

But using these factory silencer settings should only be a temporary measure,,,folks who want to get serious with Deus head the aforementioned above.

Disc setting.

For solo sitting targets, a person can run pretty high with no real negative affects.

But in iron pits looking for some 3D action to find the goodies,,,this is where running too high a disc will get you in trouble.

Some suggestions.

Using full tones,,,keep disc between -6.4 and -3.0. (Version 4 program)
Using 2, 3, 4 or 5 tones keep your disc no higher than 6.4, and run between 5.9 and 6.4.

And folks using Deus don't be afraid to shift on the fly your reactive setting when the site either gets busier with trash and iron or opens up more.
Just watch that dreaded silencer setting when you switch reactive setting depending on what level you select.

I know we are discussing the reactivity/silencer setting here but since the TX setting has been mentioned I wanted to give a little insight into what I have found.
Like I mentioned earlier, a setting of 3 in a trashy or iron infested site is counterproductive.
BUT if you take the Deus to a site that has already been heavily hunted and has a medium to low amount of trash you will find that a TX setting of 3 will reach right down there and pick out the deep coins others could not find.
I can say I was very skeptical of this setting at first but I am here to tell you that it does just what it says and it will reach down there over a foot to bag the goodies. After running this machine a short amount of time I could tell the difference in the depth I was attaining with the higher setting. But as Biblot has mentioned, it comes at a price as the battery level will drop faster than the gas gauge on a 60 Caddy!
Been using the Deus exclusively for coin hunting for the last couple months and have pulled over 2 dozen silvers out not to mention V nickels, Indian heads, Buffs etc. all from public spots that have been hunted for years. To say I am impressed with this machine is an understatement.
Looking forward to a hunt with Biblot so we can share some info.

Bibelot,
Reactivity setting for depth depends on your ground minerals.

Pump your coil you see no or a couple ticks in the mineralization meter,,,lower reactivity settings like 1 and 2 will do nicely.

You see half scale when pumping coil, levels 2, 2.5, and 3 will work nicely.

You see 3/4 scale on the mineralization index meter relativity levels 2.5, 3 and 4 are the players.

Most folks in the northeast should,be able to run levels 1 and 2 for good depth.

Remember tX power setting 3 can yield some additional depth in milder ground.

Silencer setting.
IMO a user should always be using level 0 or -1.
In milder ground 0 will work.
When the minerals amp up some in the ground -1 better setting.

Silencer can affect depth,,,will decrease and increase tone duration of nonferous targets.

Now, even when you are looking for deep targets,,say you are running reactivity setting level 1 and silencer at 0 or 1,,, don't be swinging through a site like a mad man.

For scouting swinging like a mad man may be ok to do.

Now, for beginners using Deus, the factory default reactive and silencer settings will make the Deus less sparky,,hence a new person may not feel as overwhelmed.

But using these factory silencer settings should only be a temporary measure,,,folks who want to get serious with Deus head the aforementioned above.

Disc setting.

For solo sitting targets, a person can run pretty high with no real negative affects.

But in iron pits looking for some 3D action to find the goodies,,,this is where running too high a disc will get you in trouble.

Some suggestions.

Using full tones,,,keep disc between -6.4 and -3.0. (Version 4 program)
Using 2, 3, 4 or 5 tones keep your disc no higher than 6.4, and run between 5.9 and 6.4.

And folks using Deus don't be afraid to shift on the fly your reactive setting when the site either gets busier with trash and iron or opens up more.
Just watch that dreaded silencer setting when you switch reactive setting depending on what level you select.

Ground balance is as low as 56 to as high as 84 here but I think there is more iron in the ground than a mineralization problem here. Most areas, it is extremely difficult to find a clean spot to ground balance on. Once I am able to gb, if I get a weak signal, I go - on the GB number and the signal will become stronger. I don't like to run preset GB because as stated, you can use the negative GB to an advantage. The alternative would be to turn the audio response up but I like it at lower settings so you can tell the depth, size, etc...

I think that just like heavily iron infested areas, trash also has windows throughout it that you can pick out good targets from, if you are willing to take the time to sort through it.

I am very surprised that Xp hasn't already designed one of the original coils 9" and or 11" coils for batteries like the current HF coils are.

The HF coils do have bigger batteries= would mean extra run time using TX power 3.

I think they would sell well in the USA if they decided to make.
Would also be interested in knowing just how hard the original coils are to retrofit to the battery system the HF coils use.

Maybe we will see in the future.
Actually would be nice to have both battery options on a coil physically simultaneously.

I am very surprised that Xp hasn't already designed one of the original coils 9" and or 11" coils for batteries like the current HF coils are.

The HF coils do have bigger batteries= would mean extra run time using TX power 3.

I think they would sell well in the USA if they decided to make.
Would also be interested in knowing just how hard the original coils are to retrofit to the battery system the HF coils use.

Maybe we will see in the future.
Actually would be nice to have both battery options on a coil physically simultaneously.

Are they different batteries or the same ? The difference of the HF coils is that you do not have a TX power setting capability. Maybe that is where they get the longer running time from ?

Are they different batteries or the same ? The difference of the HF coils is that you do not have a TX power setting capability. Maybe that is where they get the longer running time from ?

Since the batteries take longer to charge with same charger system,,,they indeed are bigger, or some thing hence they do have a longer run time.
Granted freq used does have a bearing here, but notice even the documented run time of HF coils even when set to their lowest freqs vs running similar freqs on older coils.

I think Xp was keeping gold nugget hunters in mind, meaning more remote locations hence a longer run time.

It is also possible moving the battery may have given some better performance under the coil,,,,older design may have indeed introduced a blind spot.
Especially for the elliptical coil design.

From a longevity of the product (cheap battery replacement) and portability (take extra batteries with you) I would think they would certainly evolve all coils to this setup. However, it does introduce another place of failure with the cable and connector now involved. So who knows what they will do. Deus 2?

I agree it takes hunting a site with different settings to get the most out of it. I rarely ever hunt a site with a tx of 1 anymore and sens bumped down to 86. I always keep silencer at -1 , and have found that running the the thing hot in iron tx3 and sens 93 with a reactivity of 2 produces too, no matter whats said in andys book about the fog deal. I will hunt it with a lower power and then the higher and change reactivity to 3 on the lower settings sometimes ,I have found targets both ways. If it is super irony I tend to stick tx 2 sens 90 and reactivity 3 sometimes 4 but mostly 3 and I have never used 5 . My partner normally keeps his running on tx 3 sens 93 in the iron and he out does me sometimes so that's something to keep in mind and try out on a site. NOW MY DISCLAIMER is this I'm talking about irony sites and not modern trash, in modern trash I would dial it back sens 86 tx 1 and it will hit on coins up to 8 inch but the coins imo seem to be solid hits in that setting with a audio respon of 4. of course they will get fainter the deeper they are but its a GREAT way to pull shallow coins from the trash. One of the first videos I ever did was the deus in modern trash pulling out shallow clad.

I had to go to town for Epsom salt and so I threw the Deus 11" coil in since the remote was mounted on it instead of the 9" coil stem.I turned the reactivity to 0,silencer -1 sens turned down to 85 and crawled the coil over the garbage and picked a few more coins. I pulled two wheats, a 1940 and a 1919 wheat plus a 1968 Canadian penny.The quarter was a 1965,I hate '65 quarters but happy to have found it today.By all means do not use my settings.I am just trying different settings because I have been over this site a gazillion times and it's still producing ever so slowly but I've nothing better to do anyways.
DSC03192.JPG

DSC03194.JPG

DSC03196.JPG

You are doing fine Bibelot.
Experimenting is what it is all about.

A little off topic but interrelated is disc setting and tones selected.

Bibelot you may elect to experiement with this here I am about to share.
In the field it can be useful, especially depending on how much time you have to detect.

Does how the Deus set disc wise and tone wise affect how the detector reacts on targets?
Yes

What am I actually talking about?
I am talking about actual coil position and dpending on this coil position what a person actually hears tone wise.

For instance if a person selects full tones and say a disc of -3.0 and they sweep a nonferrous target they will get nonferrous tone.
A user should start intentionally moving the coil gradually out of perfect flush position and continue sweeping and listen to the tone.

Btw in a site that is heavily laden with iron this experiment really shows the difference on undug targets in the wild.

Back to the above, as a person gets out of position they will notice the tone will start to sound more and more like iron tone.

I suggest folks mark their coils with some masking tape so they get an idea of just how far off of center they actually are when they are listening to the targets.

After playing with this setup above, next raise disc to 6.0 and select 3 tones.
Repeat again over the exact same target scenarios.
A user should notice the Deus coil can indeed be out of position morseso yet get a tone to make you the user investigate.
Meaning you will likely have to actually find the target, get it under the center of the coil.

What does all this mean? As far as the differences noted above?

Actually running full tones and low disc is in fact a slower way to cover ground and find targets. The coils center in most cases will have to flush (moreso) the target to get the user to investigate(hear).

Using the more traditional disc level of approx 6.0 and using say 2 or 3, or 4 tones, tones will be provided with coil out of position moreso, letting user know some thing is there nonferrous.

Just some thing here to share with folks.

Now saying what I have above, doesn't mean all targets capable of being detected will happen using the traditional disc route, actually quite the contrary some finds can only be heard using lower disc and full tones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom