NEW TO MDING

P

powerdreamer

HELLO, everyone, i just bought abounty hunter discovery 3300, im still figuring it out, played around in the back yard, hit on some things, but havent dug the ground yet, any advice on what to use to dig with?
i dont wanna ruin my back yard, any tips would be appriciated....thax

Welcome to the forum PD, Theres allot of diversity and info. to be found here as well as good people. I know nothing, of the dicovery 3300, I have a tracker IV, It suits me for being fairly new myself. Yes, you gotta dig some, to find some, I got the fiskars big handle garden knife, and a good trowel. Mine is cast aluminum.
You'll bend a cheapie in no time. Also get a probe, Just an old BBQ fork with the end broke off will work good, that way you can stick it in and feel kinda whats down there, . then dig away , I think you'll have to learn from experience, cause thats what it takes to learn you machine etc..
As far as your detector, take some coins out/ cover them with some books or cardboard,and , see what they sound like as you pass over them, use some silver and gold to if you have some. They all read differently and soon you'll be on your way, best of luck. smg

Hi Powerdreamer
I have a D 3300 myself. It was my first detector. It has a lot of features and good tone id. When you hear that high pitched "ping" , you probably have found a goody..Ive found alot of coins and rings with it. Too bad it doesnt get that deep.
If you want a good digger to dig sod , get a quality garden trowel with the steel running from the blade through the handle. Plastic or wood handles that are attached to the blade will break off easier.

I now have a Lesche Mauler. Its a heavy duty shovel designed and built by a detectorist. Its all I use, except for beach work.
Listen to Epi Hunter.

Good Luck

Jim

Welcome to the forum. Like Epi said tot losts are good also try ball fields and schools with permission. I use tow different tools to dig. One is a large hunting knife that I use at home sites. I also have a Lesche which I use in around public areas.

Welcome aboard Powerdreamer!!!I use bounty hunter as well. It takes a while to learn the machine, however, when this happens, look out.

I made a test bed in my back yard....cleared an area,cleaned it up of metal objects best i can, dug a few holes and dropped coins in. labled the holes
and started learning the different sounds and indicators. It takes a while, but you can do it.
Happy Hunting....Aguila.

Welcome!!! im also pretty new to the forum but these people help a lot. I use a heavy duty digging trowel and a probe. Pinpointers are also a nice little gadget to have. Dont forget to post your finds. HH :grin:

Most of the time in the dirt I use a screwdriver and a pinpointer.
pop

Back
Top Bottom