Flat button dug

Grubscrubber

Hi all,
I dug a flat button on 8/31 it is my first button ever! I have done some research on it based on back mark. I would welcome any input that anyone has on this button;checking to see how accurate my research is. Thanks for any info ! Hope I can get photo to attach! It has a plain front.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 700
Nice button! I cant find anything earlier than circa 1830 English manufactured online. Not sure when it changed from J.MANN to J.MANN's. Possibly a button from the War of 1812 going by Copperheads dates!

Nice button! I cant find anything earlier than circa 1830 English manufactured online. Not sure when it changed from J.MANN to J.MANN's. Possibly a button from the War of 1812 going by Copperheads dates!

Thanks for looking guys! I came up with the same info also found something about it may be a local Militia mans coat button!? It is slightly larger than a nickel and most of the images I have seen have some type of design on the front which make me think it is not even military in nature. I do hope I'm wrong !

a civilian button and would be almost impossible to prove otherwise due to its generic backmark .

Hi all,
I dug a flat button on 8/31 it is my first button ever! I have done some research on it based on back mark. I would welcome any input that anyone has on this button;checking to see how accurate my research is. Thanks for any info ! Hope I can get photo to attach! It has a plain front.

Ive got a jmann too! It dates 1800-1843 and was made in Birmingham England by Joeseph Mann.

a civilian button and would be almost impossible to prove otherwise due to its generic backmark .

Thanks Copper Head, I was thinking the same w/ it being plain on the front but hoping I was wrong! I am still excited w/ the find;it is also my first 1800s era find!!

Back
Top Bottom