Three ringers from the woods, Help Identify?

diggitydon

This is a first for me and I found THREE three ringers about 200 yards apart from each other. Two buried in the hillside in some woods by old trees and one down by a creek bed.

Measuring from the side about 1 1/4 inches long from what I can tell:
picture.php

And measureing the diameter... about 3/8-7/16":
picture.php

Also found this old lock casing dating pre 1929?
picture.php

and lastly and old large belt buckle:
picture.php

Thanks for looking! If you have any idea about the three ringers, let me know what you think.

HH and GL, yall!

3 ringers

I'm no expert, but there not minie 3 ringers. These look more like 38 cal lead bullets.Maybe for a rifle.Hopefully another will know more.

I'm no expert, but there not minie 3 ringers. These look more like 38 cal lead bullets.Maybe for a rifle.Hopefully another will know more.

IMHO this is a correct statement. I am absolutely not knowledgeable in this either but these look too small to be Minnie's.
7ema2y9u.jpg

This is a .58 cal Minnie I found earlier this year. I am told old lead is very white in color when it comes out of the ground. They have some real heft to them. Good luck in ID'ing them. Great finds.

My best guess is .437 is the caliber, but I'm not finding anything online that even looks close to these. I took them to a gun shop and the guy tells me there's no way he knows to tell the caliber... doh. I figured all you need to do is measure the diameter with a caliper to determine how many hundredths of an inch a bullet is, but hey I'm not the guy selling guns or ammo. He thought they were cool, but said he's never seen anything like them.

Okay, so after looking around at what other folks have found on this site, I'm convincing myself that this may actually be .45-70 or something similar which would be post 1873 too late for civil war, but cool nonetheless! All I can think is that someone was using a Springfield to hunt deer and missing!

Those are 45-70 rounds, and by the length I believe maybe 500 grainers too which would put them a little later then 1873. I'd have to look in a book to get an exact date. Neat digs for sure!

Charlie

Charlie's nailed it

Those are 45-70 rounds, and by the length I believe maybe 500 grainers too which would put them a little later then 1873. I'd have to look in a book to get an exact date. Neat digs for sure!

Charlie

Looks like Charlie Tuna nailed it. Those look like 45-70 Indian Wars era bullets to me. Dug quite a few of them.

Well looking at them again what is the measurement on the diameter of the bullet? May be to small for a 45-70? Measurement should be at the base give or take right about .450.

Back
Top Bottom