How Long Before There Is A Call To Modify Us Coins?

Does it even matter? With the junk metal they use these days, none of them will be around in 5 years if covered with dirt. Sucks to be the next generation of metal detector enthusiasts.

If they even did change the design of coins and went back to "Liberty" inspired designs my opinion is that the coins would still not be of good design. It seems to me that quality design and engraving just doesn't exist anymore. Modern Commemorative coins are a testament to that.

Modern Commemorative coins are a testament to that.

Yup, my favorite bad commemorative coin is the Wyoming state quarter. I could have done a better job engraving that one! So basic and bland. Ever see one that's been in heavy circulation? Nothing left of the design. Just wearing down to nothing.

Attachments

• wyoming.jpg
    wyoming.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 442
I agree but if they change it will be for some political BS image and i loathe that. I too prefer many of the old designs. Just design the coin so that the date and mintmark arent easily worn off!!!

And while we're at it, lets do away with the $1 and $5 dollar bills and put a couple of coins in their place.
And stop making pennies fer chissakes.

It won't be long before they will ban all cash/coin transactions. They will tell you it is because it is expensive to keep making paper/metal money. The real motive will never be discussed.

Read somewhere years ago that it costs the U.S Government .03 Cents to manufacture one Penny. Insane to keep minting it, despite being a long time coin collector. (Canada stopped minting pennies in 2012).

If we did change the designs, too many people would wish to put their "mark" on it these days, sadly.
Nothing beats the classics!

I was thinking. about the same thing recently. Let’s get women back on the coins and currency! Old(er) white dudes are boring—I know, I am one. Lady Liberty was so much cooler. Every time I dig an older coin, I can’t help but notice how much we’ve regressed.

Read somewhere years ago that it costs the U.S Government .03 Cents to manufacture one Penny. Insane to keep minting it, despite being a long time coin collector. (Canada stopped minting pennies in 2012).

If we did change the designs, too many people would wish to put their "mark" on it these days, sadly.

I’m sure you meant it costs “3 cents”, not “.03 cents”, as the latter would be 3/100th of one cent....?

I’m not a stamp guy but once I came across a shoebox full of letters from about 1830 to 1910. Talk about beautiful design !!! O my God

I can't believe they still put one cent on the back of a zinc penny come on now 5 years in the ground and only half there I would rather dig a pull-tab .As far as the post this is the new modified coin just takes a couple years in the dirt :laughing:
IDX I think he got the value right for the coin .Minting cost don't matter it's your money not there's sube

A 5 year old could design a better penny than the shield. I said for years- get rid of the pennies, nickels and paper 1 dollars. A dime wont even buy a hollow gumball and feeding dollar bills in vending machines sucks. If you want a Sunday newspaper from a paper rack you need 16-20 quarters. Money isn't worth what it used to be Congress.

The zincoln must go! I have nothing against Lincoln; put Angelina Jolie on it, and I'd feel the same way :yes:. I read somewhere that the reason they want to keep it is to prevent inflation (i.e. rounding bills to the nearest nickel is somehow inflationary). What a ridiculous argument, IMHO. The real reason is that somehow the zinc lobby got someone's ear, and spending .03 per is a nice subsidy.

I also agree that the old liberty artwork is much better than historical figures. Any historical figure is going to annoy someone; it is pretty hard to be annoyed by Lady Liberty. I'll admit that I don't really like the Barber series, but those that came after (merc, SLQ, Walker) are beautiful, as are the very early liberty head coins.

As for cash going away, there is a move to eliminate cash above the $20 bill. The reason given is to hamper drug transactions. I do not know if this proposal has fizzled or not.

Seen similar article that there are more pennies in desk drawers and piggy banks than there are in circulation and that if the government would pay 1.5 cent per penny they wouldn't have to mint them for years.

The zincoln must go! I have nothing against Lincoln; put Angelina Jolie on it, and I'd feel the same way :yes:. I read somewhere that the reason they want to keep it is to prevent inflation (i.e. rounding bills to the nearest nickel is somehow inflationary). What a ridiculous argument, IMHO. The real reason is that somehow the zinc lobby got someone's ear, and spending .03 per is a nice subsidy.

I also agree that the old liberty artwork is much better than historical figures. Any historical figure is going to annoy someone; it is pretty hard to be annoyed by Lady Liberty. I'll admit that I don't really like the Barber series, but those that came after (merc, SLQ, Walker) are beautiful, as are the very early liberty head coins.

As for cash going away, there is a move to eliminate cash above the $20 bill. The reason given is to hamper drug transactions. I do not know if this proposal has fizzled or not.

The reason given is the drug transaction excuse but the real reason is control. They want every transaction under control to be able to take their cut. "They" is whoever benefits from electronic transactions.

Does it even matter? With the junk metal they use these days, none of them will be around in 5 years if covered with dirt. Sucks to be the next generation of metal detector enthusiasts.

Oh, I find plenty of dimes that have been in the earth longer than 5 years. They do just fine, if you like brown dimes. :0)

I was thinking. about the same thing recently. Let’s get women back on the coins and currency! Old(er) white dudes are boring—I know, I am one. Lady Liberty was so much cooler. Every time I dig an older coin, I can’t help but notice how much we’ve regressed.
They’ve had their chance lately. Susan B, Sac, need I say more?

The reason given is the drug transaction excuse but the real reason is control. They want every transaction under control to be able to take their cut. "They" is whoever benefits from electronic transactions.
$100 is the new $20...

Back
Top Bottom