Magnet fishing II

To me, it depends on the type of magnet fishing you plan on doing.

For just bobbing around fishing docks I like to use a smaller magnet. I got one off of Amazon rated at 300 lbs for like $25.

For relic hunting or looking for heavier stuff I use a 600lb pull that I got from Brute Magnetics.

Thanks Rattlehead for the reply. I haven't gotten one yet but probably will eventually.

NP

Rattlehead, that dewalt multi tool is listed for about $25 so you did good. bobbing around the dock edge is a great method. I took it a bit further and bought an aluminum pool cleaning pole 12 ft. and made a bracket to hold two 400 magnets on the end. Where the water around the dock is only about 6 to 8 ft deep or less it works great. I can lean out and probe somewhat under the dock also, which is very difficult with a rope setup. Would be a bit difficult to transport on a bike. Mine collapses down to about 6 ft. . Good luck on your next outing and keep it under a hundred on the bike:)

Thanks Rattlehead for the reply. I haven't gotten one yet but probably will eventually.

NP

Good luck with it. :cheers:

Rattlehead, that dewalt multi tool is listed for about $25 so you did good. bobbing around the dock edge is a great method. I took it a bit further and bought an aluminum pool cleaning pole 12 ft. and made a bracket to hold two 400 magnets on the end. Where the water around the dock is only about 6 to 8 ft deep or less it works great. I can lean out and probe somewhat under the dock also, which is very difficult with a rope setup. Would be a bit difficult to transport on a bike. Mine collapses down to about 6 ft. . Good luck on your next outing and keep it under a hundred on the bike:)

Thats a great idea! I might have to make one of those too. I could probably rig something up that screws together in small sections so that I could carry it on the bike. Thanks for the tip! I will be making one of those!

Here's my other magnet from Brute Magnetics. The little anti-snag cone works great.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 260
Off topic, I want to run 20 ft of clothesline between steel square posts.
Will 300lb magnets hold 20 ft of laundery?, Thanks

I think knot.

Haha. It's an attractive idea though! ;) Hey campnagle, just make sure your poles are opposite. :lol:
Really, though, as long as the magnets are fully and firmly planted on flat surfaces of heavy steel posts, I think the clothesline would hold a moderate load. Too much weight near the magnets, and they might slide down some.
The answer is "Of course it will hold some, but how much?" This is where experimenting comes in.

Haha. It's an attractive idea though! ;) Hey campnagle, just make sure your poles are opposite. :lol:
Really, though, as long as the magnets are fully and firmly planted on flat surfaces of heavy steel posts, I think the clothesline would hold a moderate load. Too much weight near the magnets, and they might slide down some.
The answer is "Of course it will hold some, but how much?" This is where experimenting comes in.

Thanks, Ill go with the 500lb pair of magnets

I think, more importantly, will be how the posts are going to be planted. If just stuck in the dirt three feet, I suspect that won't be enough.

The weight designation of a magnet is based upon full contact to a flat surface. If the magnet is three inches diameter, and you're trying to stick it to a 1.5" square post, the holding power is greatly reduced. Now, if you weld a 3" steel pad to that post for the magnet to contact, you'll get the full potential, and will surely have to slide the magnet off the contact pad, but you still need to consider the post planting method.

Just food for thought.....Roger

Thanks, Ill go with the 500lb pair of magnets

I'm confused -- why purchase giant magnets when knots will work just as well, probably better actually. Wifey wants a clothesline and you want to go magnet fishing when it isn't laundry day? :p

I'm confused -- why purchase giant magnets when knots will work just as well, probably better actually. Wifey wants a clothesline and you want to go magnet fishing when it isn't laundry day? :p

I need something I can move around so I can get rid of a carousel pole thing in the yard that's a pain for yard work and flood irrigation. sorry to take up room here with this off topic. maybe I will fish the canals here by the house.

Back
Top Bottom