• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Making a Shovel Pack or Sheath

shellhouse

Forum Supporter
Would like to get your recommendations for creating a shovel and mattock holding backpack. Specifically, I'll be carrying a 32" RA-002 root shovel and Hart mini 1.5lb mattock for now, although the carrier should be fairly universal.

There are two main options I'm currently considering. May try one, both, or something else depending on feedback.

1. Cutting a rifle case roughly in half and attaching/hooking it to the back of mil surp belt and suspenders. The shovel would slide spade down into the case half/bucket and handle could clip on using one of the handle clips in the attached picture (riveted to an open section of case back). Basically using one half as a back carried shovel sheath that can also unlatch for cleaning.

2. Purchasing a $30 hard shell backpack (example attached, though likely in green) and riveting 2 of the broom/tool holder bars in the attached picture along the top and bottom of the flats.

May get a different or shorter shovel sometime to hip carry, but these are some considerations with current gear.

Let me know what you personally prefer and if these options sound like something worth trying.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• OZUKO-Men-Hard-Shell-Backpack-Anti-Theft-Travel-Creative-Alien-Casual-Male-Laptop-Waterproof-Bac.jpg
    OZUKO-Men-Hard-Shell-Backpack-Anti-Theft-Travel-Creative-Alien-Casual-Male-Laptop-Waterproof-Bac.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 429
  • white-everbilt-garage-storage-hooks-01147-64_1000.jpg
    white-everbilt-garage-storage-hooks-01147-64_1000.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 369
  • rifle case modified.jpg
    rifle case modified.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Hacked up a cheap shotgun case today and it works okay with a short Craftsman shovel (just to test). Kinda ho-hum on this option. Part of the lack of interest now is workmanship :laughing: and also additional hardware needed to attach to my military suspenders & belt.

Now considering using a new nylon shotgun scabbard I have. They're about $20, so not a huge loss with messing it up. Could get snaggy with drawing.

Another thought is getting a cheap or free golf bag, cutting it shorter, and sewing up the top. I have one in the garage at another house but it seemed a little hefty compared to the other options. Will see.

To recap, here are current considerations:

1. Hacked shotgun/rifle case - Works, but it's a hacked up case. ~$15 new
2. Hard Shell Backpack - May do this as well. Should be handy and can carry other things. May get warm in the summer. $30 + handle clips
3. Nylon Shotgun Scabbard - Not too expensive and the shovels should fit. ~$20
4. Chopped Golf Bag - Maybe if it's not too heavy. $cheap or free + time

Looked at cheap-ish quivers in leather and nylon, however they seem to be too small.

Attachments

• modded case.jpg
    modded case.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 433
  • shotgun scabbard.jpg
    shotgun scabbard.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 418
Thanks!

Honing in on #2 (Hard Shell Pack with external clips). Ordered a pack and am looking for some good clips to use / mount.

Planning to do a bang up job on this one. Aluminum strip reinforcements inside the pack with riv-nuts, so the clips or clip channels can bolt securely to the pack. And there shouldn't be potential for rivets to pull out or damage the pack if something gets hung up on a branch, for example. If rivets are used, however, large washers such as fender washers would be supporting them.

Still looking to do clips on the top and bottom edge of the back (or whatever height would best support a 32" shovel) as well as a couple of clips on each side. Should be able to hold shovels, hand tools, metal detectors, or spare rods & coils on the outside of the pack. Personally would keep things light and just have a small shovel & hand pick / mattock on the pack.

Shipping is slow now, but will update when the parts are received.

Attachments

• hard shell pack.jpg
    hard shell pack.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 398
How about carrying the spade something like this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/wPiFzKZrvp7tHZKV6

The strap at the lower end allows the spade some up and down movement...

If you were issued a pick rather than a spade, the handle was carried in a similar manner, but the detached "head" was stored in that horizontal "roll" the spade is fixed to in the pic..

How about carrying the spade something like this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/wPiFzKZrvp7tHZKV6

The strap at the lower end allows the spade some up and down movement...

If you were issued a pick rather than a spade, the handle was carried in a similar manner, but the detached "head" was stored in that horizontal "roll" the spade is fixed to in the pic..

Ah that does look functional and may work with the military load bearing suspenders.

May still go with clips on a pack first so that the shovel can be easily attached and detached. Looking at the attached clips - top and bottom rails for a shovel. One on a side should do for a mattock. Not the most durable (rubber) or cheapest, but they should be easy to use if the .75 inches to 1.25 allowed diameter will work for the handles.

Attachments

• unger-broom-holders-964770-64_1000.jpg
    unger-broom-holders-964770-64_1000.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 324
I like the ready-made holders, but I think that those can too easily get snagged on something, scratch a car interior/exterior, injure you or someone else... I'm a big fan of velcro. Maybe a couple of good quality velcro loops riveted to the hard pack.

Good ideas so far! Kudos!

Pack progress:

Completed the internal frame today - framework if you will. 3/4" aluminum strips (1/8" thick) riveted together.

Next, riv-nuts (threaded rivets) will be installed in appropriate spots on the frame in order to externally bolt re-sized Unger mop holders shown above.

Frame isn't currently attached to the pack. The plan is to use a cheap soldering iron to burn holes through the pack once the hollow riv-nuts are in place. Mop holder rails/channels will bolt through the pack and into the internal frame, holding the tool holder rails, pack, and frame all together as a unit. Remember, this is a hard shell pack to begin with, but I felt that an internal frame would be best for properly supporting equipment.

Will include a parts list, measurements, and other specifics soon for anyone interested in doing just this. It'd be much easier to use something like an ALICE frame to make a shovel carrier, but it all depends on what kind of pack you'd like in the end.

From brief testing, this should be able to hold my shovel, pick, metal detectors on the outside of the pack. Preferably not all at once!

Will update soon, hoping to complete within the next few days. Would love to finish it this weekend but I need to spend some quality time with my grandpa.

Attachments

• pack internal frame.jpg
    pack internal frame.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 303
Back
Top Bottom