Battery clinic related

GaBeachsweeper

Forum Supporter
Ok all;
I have recently experienced some damage to my battery charger. Mainly broken wires in a very hard to repair spot. Repair consisted of cracking the plastic transformer shell and resoldering leads. Tedious with such tiny copper wires. Brings me to my question, has any of you purchased an aftermarket charger for use with an Excal. I have begun to look but have been unsuccessful locating any thing like a close match for my unit. So you get a better idea about my detector equipment and M/O YES I DO have an alkaline pack with fresh AA's should my charger and NIMH packs fail (notice packs is PLURAL) I consider myself well prepared but I want to know if there is another avenue to increase the reliability of my rechargables.
Thanks for reading.
Jim

get yourself a digital r/c car PEAK charger . it just has to be capable of charging 10 cells and have adjustable amperage and adjustable voltage .and be compatible with lithium/ion or lithium/poly type cells. which narrows down the field really quick . there is probably only 5-10 specific chargers that will work great. out of probably a hundred different models . so pay close attention to the specs of the charger . the one i use is a "competition electronics turbo gfx" which if money was no object i would highly recommend it. it is one of the most popular chargers in the world in the r/c racing circles. a lot of world champion drivers use nothing but these chargers. the main reason for the cost is that it is very high quality if not lab quality equipment and it has a great warranty system and a trade in system as well . so you may be able to get a compatible used one directly from the manufacturer.
the typical rc club racer has 10 to 15 battery packs on average and the hand matched cells that are used for racing cost around 120 to 160 if they are lipo and 80 to 120 dollars for the nimh type cells. so you can see they have a great deal of money invested in their batteries and the batteries have very extreme demands put on them and they have to be charged perfectly and perform at their peak or risk over charging and under charging which is bad for any cells . not to mention losing a race because your battery dumped 9 seconds early on a 5 minute race. when the the car was tuned to exhaust the battery 10-15 seconds after the 5 minutes that extra 10 seconds of runtime could have won the race . so in a nutshell a high quality charger is the best investment to protect and get the most out of your also expensive detector batteries .
now there are other chargers besides the comp electronics that will also work good and they can be had cheaper on ebay etc. some comanys are LRP , NOVAK , TEAM CHECKPOINT HAS A NICE ONE ,
it depends if your detector uses 9 volts or will work with 8 rechargeable 1.2 volt aa batteries . for example , an excalibur will not work with 8 aa rechargeable batteries because the voltage is lower than with the alkaline cells which are 1.5 volts each. if you can use 8 aa rechargeable in your detector than you only need to get a charger model that charges up to 8 cells which will offer up a lot more choices as they are more common place. and they are alot cheaper.

using these types of chargers will allow you to probably make your batteries life expectancy to double or triple that of the factory stone age chargers, and your batteries will definitely last a lot longer while you are detecting. at least 20 - 30 percent longer.

www.competitionelectronics.com should be the website.

Back
Top Bottom