Bi-Centennial quarters and Halves?

GStout76

Forum Supporter
I know for the halves, they are listed as "copper-nickel" for theBicentennial year, but the rest that are post '71 are copper-nickel clad. What is the difference and should I keep them due to them not being clad?

Greg

A half dollar that is "copper-nickel" would be a clad coin. It has no silver in it at all. A 40% silver half is called "silver clad" composition because it has an outer layer of 80% silver and 20% copper bonded to an inner core of 21% silver and 79% copper. If it were 90% silver it would be considered "silver and copper" composition where the two metals are combined (as opposed to "clad" layers bonded together).

As far as Bi-Centennials halves go, there is a mixture of both clad and 40% minted. The 40% were in mint and proof sets. But there was also clad coins in proof and mint sets too.

should I keep them due to them not being clad?

On the whole, "copper nickel" clad halves are worth face value.

Numista is a good site for explanations of coinage. A "Red Book" also will have a good explanation.

http://en.numista.com/

G.

I remember everyone collected them when they first came out until we learned they were worth the same as other quarters.....

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom