Hunting in Gettysburg

DrumBob

I just got my Garrett 250 and am thinking about heading out to Gettysburg in the spring to try my hand at relic hunting. I know I can't hunt on the battlefield, but there must be places in the area where I can go. Any suggestions?

Take note of the NPS property and make sure to obey the boundaries. You can try your county GIS to find the names of private property owners, and property details in the vicinity. I like to cross reference battle maps with current Google maps. You don't have to get on the actual battlefield to find relics. There were so many troops around there that you could probably make a 10 mile radius around it and find relics virtually anywhere. Try to locate old period Civil War period maps that show the home sites during the war. That's where I would start. Happy door knocking. -Wolf

carefull. a guy just went to the pen for diggin around there where he wasnt suppose to. Been doing it for years before they caught up with him and they say inside his house was like a mini museum of relics.

Some guys in the club hunted some land in Tennessee next to a national battlefield, on the way back they almost cut a corner across park land to get back to their cars. They were not even swinging their detectors. When the got back to their cars a ranger was there waiting on them, just watching. He said that if they had crossed that corner, he would have fined them, confiscated their detectors and finds, even if it was just an honest mistake, and they were not swinging their detectors.

I wouldnt drive out on a whim. You're going to need to have somewhere to go and have permission. Most land is posted property or part of the battlefield. I was told that some of the land owners around Gettysburg have gotten snobbish about detectorists. I was also told you used to be able to detect the large town park in Gettysburg, but you can't anymore. I wouldnt even try the schools. I live around Gettysburg and I honestly have no idea where you could detect on public property without getting in trouble. I avoid Gettysburg for detecting unless hunting with someone else who already has permission.

You better be real good friends with someone there. More than likely the answer will be No.

I just got my Garrett 250 and am thinking about heading out to Gettysburg in the spring to try my hand at relic hunting. I know I can't hunt on the battlefield, but there must be places in the area where I can go. Any suggestions?

I dont' live down there, but where ever you hunt make sure you get written permissions. Down in that area the preservation of the historic area is very strict. You hear people being arrested, and having property confiscated for breaking the treasure trove type laws.

its like people who buy medication off the internet. I hear of people doing it, and I hear there are some legal ways to do it. but there are so many illegal, fake ways to buy medicince online, the benefits of the legal method do not match the negatives that are attached to doing it illegally.

Interesting and informative thread. You have a real challenge ahead of you, especially with the current 150th commemoration hype going on.
Sounds like your best bet is in the far outlying areas. ;)

Try but sadly you will most likely be turned down, and yes schools are out of the question, I have done the middle school and the rangers and cops freaked out on me..:lol: I found my first civil war bullet that day, once I cleared up the issues with the cops..:p I believe they do their job well there!;) But, once I approached the principal after this a few days later ( had permission from a secretary:roll:, he told me it would not be a good idea to go back, because it just causes trouble. They take it seriously around there:D

Some guys in the club hunted some land in Tennessee next to a national battlefield, on the way back they almost cut a corner across park land to get back to their cars. They were not even swinging their detectors. When the got back to their cars a ranger was there waiting on them, just watching. He said that if they had crossed that corner, he would have fined them, confiscated their detectors and finds, even if it was just an honest mistake, and they were not swinging their detectors.

Me and a couple of buddies drove to Bentonville to do some detecting on private land and met at the battlefield museum to carpool to the private site. In hindsite it was a pretty dumb place to meet but the park ranger saw us moving our metal detectors from one car to another and almost cofiscated them right on the spot. He was not very friendly about it. Most of the private property owners around these old CW battlefields have been asked so many times by people wanting to metal detect that they just say no. Not to mention the people that trespass and night hunt leaving a mess behind. I can't really blame the owners for being down on metal detecting.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking abot trying to follow Lee's route in and out of G'burg, through Cashtown, I suppose and that area, about ten miles outside of G'burg proper. I know enough people in town now, and I will contact them first before I go so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing.

I've heard stories of idiots just digging randonly with camp shovels on the battlefield-no detectors. They were all caught, as they should be. the last thing I want is trouble with the man.

I know there are still treasures in the ground all around G'burg. I thought about also heading down to Sharpsburg while in the area.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking abot trying to follow Lee's route in and out of G'burg, through Cashtown, I suppose and that area, about ten miles outside of G'burg proper. I know enough people in town now, and I will contact them first before I go so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing.

I've heard stories of idiots just digging randonly with camp shovels on the battlefield-no detectors. They were all caught, as they should be. the last thing I want is trouble with the man.

I know there are still treasures in the ground all around G'burg. I thought about also heading down to Sharpsburg while in the area.
So, why did you post the original inquiry..........................

When I lived in VA. the rangers didn't worry about the treasures being taken. It was the holes and disturbing the bodies in the battlefields. I never dug in those areas anyway, it was always on private land, no battlefields.

Waaaay back, in 1983 I was a reenactor and stayed on a proprety that was supposed to be where the wagons were parked. It was a private campground. Several horseshoes and other items were found, without detectors.

Back
Top Bottom