Bullets

spittfire

Elite Member
Went out for awhile today, hate the time change as it cuts my playtime in half. Found lots of junk metal and a bullet. It says US.C.CO and on the bottom it says 18. I looked it up on the web and I saw similiar casings but not the same. I am enclosing a picture. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 883
I found a similar cartridge case in the U.S. a few years back. Turned out to be from 1921.
Cartridge Collectors Forum is the place to go. They can often date to the month of manufacture.
www.cartridgecollectors.org          (sorry can't read my writing for the rest of the address). Search engine should turn it up though. No need the link works....thats a first for me !

Yup looks like a bullet casing, I know what your saying about the time change I used to be able to go after work but it's getting harder each day :P

this is mostly coming from memory, and guessing, so I could very well be wrong but it looks like either a 30-06 or a .270 to me
the 30-06 has a bullet dia. of .308 or just under 5/16", the .270 has a bullet dia. .277 or just under 9/32", measuring the neck ID will tell you the bullet dia

I did look this up, it isnt much but I found a little coumpany info...

HEADSTAMP- US

OTHER HEADSTAMPS USED- USC Co or US with $ sign, U.S.C Co.

COMPANY NAME- United States Cartridge Co

YEARS IN BUSINESS- 1864-1938, then purchased by Winchester/Western

a number like that usually indicates what type of round it is(bullet type) and is usually used in military rounds(I'd have to look it up to know what that # indicates)
I'm not much "up" on military rounds other than the basics so without looking it up I dont know if USC Co made rounds for the military or not but because of the "18" on the headstamp I'm guessing its a 30-06 military surplus round, alot of people buy them because they're cheap, you can pick up cases of ammo for little to nothing, I buy alot of surplus ammo myself(or used to anyway)
some surplus ammo is steel cased(and buy far the cheapest to buy), although without looking it up I dont know if USC Co ever produced steel cases, try sticking a magnet on it, if a magnet sticks to it its a military surplus round

I'd have to dig around to be positive about alot of this though so like I said, I could very well be wrong about some of it

Thanks to all for the information, interesting finding the answers on stuff I dig up. I wish I could id everything I find but that would be asking too much! But I will take what I can :lol:

Can I have that quarter?  :)

You don't see those bicentennial quarters in circulation anymore.

BostonMike said:
Can I have that quarter? :)

You don't see those bicentennial quarters in circulation anymore.
I ran across a couple of them in my change jar along with 2 sba dollars

Back
Top Bottom