Penny Error - Any Value?

turtlefoot

Headstamp Addict
Got this penny some time ago and kept it because of how different it is. One side is the normal thickness that a penny should be. The other side is MUCH THICKER (nearly 2x as thick). The penny is of normal diameter. This is not PMD. It definitely came from the mint this way. It seems to be some sort of planchet error.

Any info would be appreciated.

Doug

picture.php

It is a 1973. I don't have a scale, but will attempt to go to my in-laws tonight. They have one that will weigh it.

Doug

picture.php

looks like an off center strike which is commonly found in the 70s (at least I commonly find them). If its what I think it is there is no added value

Hmmm... The face of the coin looks properly struck. Is it just the rim that is tall? I think that would be called a "fin" error, or "finning"... This happens when copper is forced between the die(s) and collar, creating a thin, sharp fin. Your weight is darn close to the normal 3.11 grams of a copper penny. The difference could be because of the fin, or just tolerances in the scale. Is the edge sharp between the 5:00 and 11:00 points on the face?

Cool find... Good condition, and a great year. That's the year that awesome guy "Swing-a-ling" was born. :D

Back
Top Bottom