• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cave Hunting Anyone?

GeorgiaJay

Forum Supporter
I was wondering how many how of you guys go md'ing in caves? There is a lot of them in North Georgia. I am not to fond of snakes and bats, though. I think that I would be willing to risk it though. :lol:

i don't know of any around here. i used to crawl through them when i was growing up running around western nc.

i generaly try to stay out of holes in the ground around here (so. nv). they can ve very dangerous.

Great idea... not much digging entailed...most caves are rock all around, unless there are streams passing through. Lots of cubby holes though.. and certainly treasures were hidden in caves in times past. Good luck.. RickO

Hmm, I would see that as a rather hindering hunt with any headlamp or other spelunking gear necessary, then if your lights go out you'd be in some pretty deep guano.... :lol::lol: Or should we say you'd be "guano outta luck":lol:

As a dear friend of mine once said: "The only good joke is a bad one!" HH
NC

I'd love to go cave hunting out here around the puget sound. A lot of smugglers in the 1800s used the caves around here to stash parts of their treasure. It's just too abd I don't have a boat or any clue of where nay of the caves are. :lol:

Re: Cave Hunting

I would like to go into some caves sometime. You would have to be pretty careful and I would not go into caves where you have to crawl, repel into, or squirm through tiny crevices. There is lots of caves in north Georgia, but a lot of them are national parks or state parks where you wouldn't be able to md. It would be fun to explore some large caves, though.

Up in Dahlonega, GA, there is still one operating gold mine. It is called the Crisson Gold Mine and you can go into the cave with guides for about an hour for $12 and then try gold panning afterwards. They sell 5 gallon buckets of sand that you can sift through for gold. Or, you can buy more expensive buckets that contain some cool gemstones. Also, you can pan for gold in some small creeks and rivers. I still have a cheap plastic gold pan. The metal pans are better for gold panning. I am rambling on and on...and will shut-up now.:lol:

when i was teenager we used to go caving in western nc, henderson county.

one we went to you had to crawl on you belly with a rock the size of a 3 bedroom house hanging above you. you had to be skinny to get in there and talk about dark!

cave dark is the darkest dark i have ever seen. i mean inky dark! and ofcourse we NEVER had flashlights! we just crawl up in there with bic lighters!

never told anyone outside party where we were going!

then there was a presipice inside where some one had built a 2/4 ladder that went down about 20' shear.

wow were we crazy!

also, caves used to be used as hideout and places to cache treasure but be careful sometimes they are booby-trapped.

treasure caves sometimes have rocks outside the entrance that are carved or aranged to look like animals that are looking at the entrance to the cave that may be hidden.

western nc the area where the atlanta olympic bomber holdup in after he ran from the crime. it took months for them to find him up there.

Bring candles and matches... the candles can also be used to 'soot' the ceiling or walls so you can return the way you came in.... RickO

Back
Top Bottom