Equinox 600 vs AT Pro VDI

Fivepin

Elite Member
First day with the Minelab Equinox 600. To get to know the machine I will carry the AT PRO and swing both machines over targets. How do the VDI compare. What are my initial thoughts on the machine. Did I find anything good? You betcha. Thanks for watching everyone.
https://youtu.be/Gc4_qmj0_3o

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 610
OMG. Read the online manual........or not!
That was really funny except for the title - Nox vs ATPro

Hi Gary,
You are hilarious and really brave or completely daft, to try the Nox 600 with no previous study or experience, video it and release it to the public. Amazing finds, an intrepid detectorist and a fantastic detector.........Awesome to watch.
Yep, you did not read the online manual. That was fun watching you try to recover those 14+ inch targets. Be careful with sprinkler lines and other underground utilities!!!!. Those depth arrows are 2 to 3" depending on your soil mineralization. When you get 5 of them that target is either tiny or over a foot deep. I have dug 16" USA Civil War Era bullets and have often given up on deeper targets and I have never maxed out the sensitivity on my Nox. You can use that cute little horseshoe button on the bottom left to instantaneously go into no discrimination and the Nox will tell you all about the iron target your coil is over both with lots of low tones and negative numbers. Iron, steel and tin depending on the size and state of oxidation can hit anywhere from -9 to +40, so use that horseshoe button or else get sued or die possibly!!!! If you don't get any of those low tones/negative numbers, press the horseshoe button again and dig that medium to high conductor. You can also just turn up the threshold tone a bit and it will null over any discriminated target ID number. Aluminum, depending on the size and whether it is foil, can slaw, a complete can or an airplane will hit anywhere from 4 to 35. I thought the armrest was ridiculous too until fall and winter when I realized how awesome it was with three or more layers of clothing. Use the strap for heavens sake or buy one of Doc's arm rest covers on Ebay. They are great!!!! Can't wait to see what you excavate next.

Jeff

Last edited:
Good video. So, ya'll have pounded that park before and yet the Nox pulled out that nice silver and that Honking token? Hmmmm :hmmm:

Ground balance zero works for most of us. Depends on your dirt and hot rocks....stuff like that. The cuff will feel better in colder months wearing thick sleeves. The Equinox is not balanced very well. The strap will provide leverage. Just slip your arm in and out. For the money the Equinox is quite a detector.

Nice video I enjoyed it. I know how hard those comparison videos can be! Glad you like the nox. Congrats on the great finds too. I love my 800 so much I bought a 600 for a backup! HH & GL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The video shows the AT PRO has better ID than the Nox has.

The video shows a guy who has virtually no clue how to run the Nox 600 especially how to check for iron targets, check the depth meter (until later in the video) and how to size a target. He is decent with the AT Pro. The AT Pro did what it always does. It is a very good detector down to about 9".

Jeff

First day with the Minelab Equinox 600. To get to know the machine I will carry the AT PRO and swing both machines over targets. How do the VDI compare. What are my initial thoughts on the machine. Did I find anything good? You betcha. Thanks for watching everyone......

Oh man, another comparison video not making the comparison it sets out to make, and drawing conclusions that aren't supported by the evidence. Nothing wrong with getting excited about a new detector. Have at it. Get excited! But, let's look seriously about this detector comparison claim.

You marvel at how quiet the NOX is compared to the ATPro. Apples and oranges. You were running fully open on the ATPro. ProZero mode with nothing notched out and hearing everything from 1 to 100. With the Nox you had iron and low foil silenced/notched out. Park 1 default. Plus, in Park 1 sketchy deep high conductor squeaks get processed as iron, which are notched out in your settings. Sensitivity looked pretty high on the ATPro. Before the end of the 4 targets you were running way under 20 on the Nox. Yes, the Nox is going to be quieter in comparison. Turn iron descrimination up to about 35 on the ATPro and sensitivity down another click or two, and it'll quiet down, too. Or, switch over to Park 2 on the Nox, press the horseshoe (iron audio) button, and let me know if it's quieter than the ATPro. For the new user in most parks, the Park 2 setting with iron audio on would result in 50 tones of pure insanity.

You used headphones for the Nox and not the ATPro. Hardly a valid comparison or way to compare deep target audio. Also the viewer can't compare the audio characteristics between the two machines. We never heard the Nox in the entire video.

You did have some discussion about finding a target with a "better" machine (Nox) and then zeroing in on it for the second machine (ATPro). Perhaps that second machine wouldn't have found it on its own. Correct observation, but irrelevant to the comparisons in the video. If the ATPro wouldn't have stopped a coin hunter on those targets, then wouldn't that be a good thing? They were junk, right? Regardless, you could have supported your observation by backing up 10 or so feet and swing normally with the AT Pro and Nox to see whether and how the signal stood out. Not a perfect test, but something.

I admit that I already know the Nox can find good targets the ATPro can't, or can't find as easily, and can even dig less trash in the process. The video didn't show how, when or why.

An objective viewer can conclude the following: You thought you had four deep coin signals with the Nox. The ATPro correctly reported them all of the signals as not worth digging for coins. Not one of those AT Pro signals were the kind of sketchy deep coin signal I'm looking for on the ATPro. If you had been swinging the ATPro you would have saved yourself digging four deep junk targets. The ATPro won the comparison in the video hands down.

Instead, the ATPro goes into the trunk never to return even after you find a few of those elusive great coin signals apparently undetectable by several other machines. Signals that would have proven the Nox's superiority had you retreived the ATPro and heard nothing in the signal to suggest a coin target! Not even a dime signal you "knew" was a coin was enough to go grab the ATPro and give it a swing. Instead, we're supposed to believe you and your buddies have hit every square inch of dirt and therefore the only explanation is that the ATPro couldn't have found a silver 6" dime or that hunk of a half dollar sized coin. Unless you grid about 8 different ways using a string line, and then repeat all of it again with different settings and swing speeds, then you haven't hit it all.

Your desire for the Equinox to be better is pretty obvious. But, you haven't used it enough to know how and why. At the end of the video you said you didn't dig any foil. You forgot the foil in Target 2. The Nox is what got you thinking it was a good steady signal in the coin range. The ATPro was bouncing and giving a non-diggable signal between and not even overlapping American nickels and pennies. On Target 4 the Nox showed a consistent 21-23. The ATPro was jumping, and (at best) was trying to settle on 53 when you were teasing a tiny spot. Yet, somehow you concluded the ATPro "beeped just like there was a coin". No, it didn't. That's what the Nox did to stop you to dig in the first place. After just two or three targets you're befuddled why the Nox is causing you to chase signals coming off of junk. You overlooked the conclusion that the ATPro is correctly not giving good coin signals for targets that aren't coins.

Like you, when I first got the Nox I chased a lot of deep signals that seemed OK, but turned out to be junk. That improved with experience, including using the correct settings for the conditions. That flexibility is what makes the Nox the better machine and not anything shown in the video. But, for 99% of people who just want to get out occassionally and detect, and have 600 bucks to spend, they could buy either machine. The ATPro might even be better for that group. They might have skipped over those four deep junk targets and had time to get their coil over that silver dime.

Regarding the arm cuff, I dig hundreds of targets and have no problem slipping my arm in and out of the cuff and strap. I slide out while putting the detector down, and slide in while picking it up. One smooth motion and the strap makes a huge difference. I can't think of the last time I undid the strap. Probably the last time I had on long sleeves.

Last edited:
You marvel at how quiet the NOX is compared to the ATPro. Quoted from Toy Soldier.

Mostly the OP was bashing the Multi Kruzer that he constantly complained about while running it in 4 tone mode, its highest gain mode which definitely makes it very hot and noisy BY DESIGN but lets it detect the deepest supposedly. It is kind of hard to hear a good target when one is running a detector using the wrong settings for their ground conditions. I doubt he read the Kruzer manual either.

I thought he was fairly complementary of the ATPro. At least he still owns one. Comparing the Nox to the ATPro is like comparing the Nox to the CTX3030. Definitely apples to oranges even if you know how to set them up correctly.

Jeff

Last edited:
Some guys like customizable machines,meaning you need to set it up for site specific.And some people like the same machine that’s set up the same way every time,turn on and go and know what to expect.
I think we have two different groups of people who hunt two different types of ways ,and that’s were the debate over what is the better machine ..Best machine is the one your comfortable with,not what someone else Is comfortable with.
I never could figure out a lot of the debates I see,and got myself sucked into.lol..I mean,I’m not seeing anyone becoming rich on here by using a certain machine or tactic,just finding nickels pennies and dimes in the dirt like everyone else regardless of what’s being swung....Beach goers is a different story tho,I know those guys get paid.
I prefer the at pro over the equinox,not because it’s better or worse,just because Im a turn on and go type hunter more than a best settings type of hunter..I’ve had a lot of machines that took a lot of tweaking and I’ve had ones that took no tweaking..Had great results with both,just prefer to hunt with minimal to no tweaking.

You nailed it woodbutcher. I have lots of friends that find incredible targets with all sorts of detectors including the AT Pro. They KNOW their detectors well and use them for the detecting situations they were made for optimally.

The video shows someone who is a complete beginner with the Nox and appears to have some experience with the AT Pro. I saw his other videos featuring the Multi Kruzer which he struggled with constantly because he did not know how to use it.

I chuckle at his efforts and appreciate his willingness to share them on this forum and on YouTube. I hope he can find the detector that suits him the best and just go detect with it and have some great finds.

It is hard to take him seriously and I hope he is making these videos for fun and not to upset his viewers by starting detector wars. This hobby is supposed to just be fun and rewarding.

Jeff

You nailed it woodbutcher. I have lots of friends that find incredible targets with all sorts of detectors including the AT Pro. They KNOW their detectors well and use them for the detecting situations they were made for optimally.

The video shows someone who is a complete beginner with the Nox and appears to have some experience with the AT Pro. I saw his other videos featuring the Multi Kruzer which he struggled with constantly because he did not know how to use it.

I chuckle at his efforts and appreciate his willingness to share them on this forum and on YouTube. I hope he can find the detector that suits him the best and just go detect with it and have some great finds.

It is hard to take him seriously and I hope he is making these videos for fun and not to upset his viewers by starting detector wars. This hobby is supposed to just be fun and rewarding.

Jeff

I agree totally..i have been watching his videos for maybe a year? Saw some different machines compared, and mostly some new ones he just got and did a video of hunting.
I watch alot of videos, not so much to learn but for amusement.I like to see what they're pulling outta the ground..I think he meant no harm to any certain brand or machine, he's just having fun with the camera

The Equinox is really quite simple.

Park 1 for silver coins. Zero iron bias and recovery somewhere in the middle.

Forget all the BS. Forget the books.

Some guys like customizable machines,meaning you need to set it up for site specific.And some people like the same machine that’s set up the same way every time,turn on and go and know what to expect.
I think we have two different groups of people who hunt two different types of ways ,and that’s were the debate over what is the better machine ..Best machine is the one your comfortable with,not what someone else Is comfortable with.
I never could figure out a lot of the debates I see,and got myself sucked into.lol..I mean,I’m not seeing anyone becoming rich on here by using a certain machine or tactic,just finding nickels pennies and dimes in the dirt like everyone else regardless of what’s being swung....Beach goers is a different story tho,I know those guys get paid.
I prefer the at pro over the equinox,not because it’s better or worse,just because Im a turn on and go type hunter more than a best settings type of hunter..I’ve had a lot of machines that took a lot of tweaking and I’ve had ones that took no tweaking..Had great results with both,just prefer to hunt with minimal to no tweaking.

Right there with you Buddy! NOX vs AtPro debate is akin to the 'Compound Vs Recurve' discussions that went on back in the day...Yeah sure If a fellow was shooting at targets out 80yds consistently, then maybe a Compound with sights and releases and stabilizers and overdraw and laser range finder is probably the way to go...but a fellow dont need any of that to shoot and hit targets 20yds or less...:?:

So, it becomes a Preference over Performance issue...both perform well in the skilled persons hands..Neither perform well sitting in the closet..

Right there with you Buddy! NOX vs AtPro debate is akin to the 'Compound Vs Recurve' discussions that went on back in the day...Yeah sure If a fellow was shooting at targets out 80yds consistently, then maybe a Compound with sights and releases and stabilizers and overdraw and laser range finder is probably the way to go...but a fellow dont need any of that to shoot and hit targets 20yds or less...:?:

So, it becomes a Preference over Performance issue...both perform well in the skilled persons hands..Neither perform well sitting in the closet..

like the never ending best deer rifle caliber debate.

Jmclen you missed the point...

Jeff

Sorry starting detector wars. Are you kidding me. This video was to show the vdi of two different machines on field targets. End of story. Not once did I ever state that one machine was better than the other. Obviously I own, use and love my at pro or it would be gone. As for the Kruzer I never struggled for a second. I hated the noise of that machine I no longer own one due to its constant chatter. I pulled 300 year old colonial finds with that Kruzer that most CANADIAN guys only dream of. Red coat pocket knives, hand painted cuff links. Trade axes and other British goods. 1700 buttons...ya I struggled mightily.

If you don't want to start even a hint of a detector war, don't title your video Minelab Equinox vs AT Pro.

Also I noticed and so did Toy Soldier that your detectors were setup completely differently. Toy Soldier very astutely wrote "You were running fully open on the ATPro. ProZero mode with nothing notched out and hearing everything from 1 to 100. With the Nox you had iron and low foil silenced/notched out. Park 1 default." How can you compare VDIs when you are preventing the small foil and low tone/negative number iron range on the Nox from giving accurate responses? The Nox, by design will give multiple iron indicator VDIs throughout the entire VDI range so that with experience one will know for sure that there is an iron target under the coil. So, your intention of comparing VDIs of two different machines on field targets was seriously flawed from the beginning.

When you publish a video both on Youtube and on this forum, you open yourself up to comments whether you like it or not. You make the video and we watch and draw our own conclusions. For me, I really do enjoy your videos no matter what I might think of your conclusions pro or con about any particular detector or their features. I sincerely hope the Nox/AT Pro combination will suit your detecting needs with lots of further successes.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom