* I nearly missed this one! *

meggie

Elite Member
So today after having used the 15" coil on my Equinox 800 for over a year now,I decided to swap back to the stock 11"coil for a change.And so off to the beach!
The first beach was once again fully sanded in, so no targets to compare the coil.
At the second beach, I decided to hunt up high close to the dunes.
I scored a few coins and sinkers & the usual junk.
Got a nice deep solid twelve, dug a couple of scoops and started to wave the coil ... What! The damn coil has snapped at the lugs and was hanging in the air!
So back to the car which was close by. Fortunately, I had brought the 15" coil with me so I quickly swapped them over. I was tempted to go home but decided to do another half hour there. Retraced my steps back to the hole. The target was still there, it was still deep. Three scoops later and look at this! A gold wedding band, no markings but passes easily on the 9ct acid test... and to think I nearly went home!
I'm not sure about the warranty on the coil! .. I will find out on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_1964.jpg
    IMG_1964.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 687
My friend Dick had the same thing happen to his machine. Congrats on the gold!

I had the same thing happen but with a different machine. I went to the hardware store and bought the right sized metal nuts and bolts to fix it... then on my first hunt with it, quickly realized that you shouldn’t use piece of metal to fix a metal detector coil 😂. I went back to the store and got some plastic ones and it’s worked great since.

Nice job on the gold ring. Sorry to hear that you broke your coil, that is one of my biggest fears.

nice find briancongrats , there is alot of these coil ears breaking minelab sould mold them like the ears on the excals nice and thick these are way to thin

:dingding:That's a lovely looking band - congrats!

Congrats on another gold! Sucks about your coil ears, looks like Minelab made the plastic too thin :no: Hope they take care of you under warranty.

That is one classy looking band!
I just keep a couple of toilet-lid nylon bolts for coil. (opposite thread for northern hemisphere)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Wow, snapped both sides off. Havent seen that before. As others mentioned, congrats on a "classy" band! Its beautiful.

Congrats on going back and recovering that ring, nice one..Minelab is known for using cheap plastic, had two xterra coils snap off the ears also..I saw similar posts of equinox ears snapping just like yours, hope it's under warranty but I think I read somewhere the coil is 2 years warranty and the control box is 3 years warranty.

Yea thats wierd...I find myself leaning on my machine sometimes using it as a brace sort of while I'm scooping I'm sure you will be getting a new coil.

strick

Nice ring, congrats!

I admit I haven't seen a lot of different coils but the ears on that one look a little slim to me. I wonder if the weight of the water against it was too much.

ETA: A really quick search didn't turn up anything for me but I wonder if you NOX users can reinforce the tabs in some way. I'd be interested to know how many people this happens to as well.

If its out of warranty, buy yourself a cheap plastic weld gun from Harbor Freight. You'll need a small air compressor.

Back
Top Bottom