ID help? ***UPDATE*** Return complete!!!

***UPDATE*** Return complete!!!!

Short version: It took awhile, but the return is complete and I was rewarded!

Long version: I contacted the email on the school's alumni website from the link Aquaman posted. I told them to pass my information along to the original owner and have them contact me. The person was a bit recalcitrant and wanted me to send her the ring to give back "for privacy reasons." I understand that, but wasn't going to take that risk and after a few back and forth emails I got one from the original owner. A very nice lady.

I sent her the pictures to indicate I was not scamming her and told her she could have it back if she sent me the $11.85 in shipping. I was happy to give it back, I just didn't want to be out 12 bucks to do it. During our many emails, I told her about this message board thread and she even came here to read it and was amazed. We talked about the island and how we stay at the same resort and where we eat, etc. Somewhere in telling her about how I had it in the envelope to be melted, I asked her to consider reimbursing me for the value of the gold (after she got it back of course).

I sent it and followed the tracking all the way, excited for her to get it. Once it was in her hands, she sent me the picture I asked for (see below). Much to my surprise, a few days later she Venmo'd me money equal to it's gold value. I am quite sure that both of us are very happy with the return of this ring.

Shout out to Aquaman, it wouldn't have happened without him. I will happily buy dinner if we ever cross paths.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 177
Nice follow up to your post...WTG
What was the time frame from being lost and you finding it?
DL

I could never revoke a pirate card for you asking for melt value from someone who lost an item prior to returning said item. Beautiful tactic !!! 🤣🤣🤣

I could never revoke a pirate card for you asking for melt value from someone who lost an item prior to returning said item. Beautiful tactic !!! 🤣🤣🤣

I asked her to consider it, but not until after she received the ring. She had the ring and could have chosen to send the reimbursement or not. I was happy either way.

I think it helped that she saw my posts here and knew it was nearly sent in for melt. That and we had a pretty good rapport going.

I asked her to consider it, but not until after she received the ring. She had the ring and could have chosen to send the reimbursement or not. I was happy either way.

I think it helped that she saw my posts here and knew it was nearly sent in for melt. That and we had a pretty good rapport going.

It's still a great tactic to "casually" bring it up. Because it's true , you could have done nothing and kept it in the 1st place. But still requires some sack ! There are some ads I see in the lost & found where the guy will describe a found ring in about 90% detail and maybe a pic. Then he will ask " how much is the reward ?" Total scam to me , but he's trying.
Bottomline is through being on FMDF , it really helped. And you both were happy , so it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom