Well first time with quarters.

DiggingThePNW

Forum Supporter
Left is Washington quarters middle is park quarters and right are state quarters found zero silvers. First time doing quarters. Unfortunately pretty uneventful
27E65073-B55F-4676-97AA-1709C012D947.jpeg

Quarters are tough. I remember my finds ratio was around one silver per $800. They’re a large piece of silver so it’s tough for them to hide in circulation. Good luck on the search.

When KT started off CRHing , He considered quarters, but soon realized they were the most hunted denomination. KT then did a few rolls of dimes, but realized that the Royal Eyes were not good enough to check those small dates, and KT does not edge hunt...too risky to miss one. Had some reasonable success tho, which caused His Majesty to decide on halves...been searching them ever since.

Best of luck in your efforts!

When KT started off CRHing , He considered quarters, but soon realized they were the most hunted denomination. KT then did a few rolls of dimes, but realized that the Royal Eyes were not good enough to check those small dates, and KT does not edge hunt...too risky to miss one. Had some reasonable success tho, which caused His Majesty to decide on halves...been searching them ever since.

Best of luck in your efforts!

Almost got halves. Figured quarters would be more likely to find silver. Done pennies before. Now I may try the halves

Quarters are tough. I remember my finds ratio was around one silver per $800. They’re a large piece of silver so it’s tough for them to hide in circulation. Good luck on the search.

After this search I am not surprised. Lots of bicentennial coins about 20

Almost got halves. Figured quarters would be more likely to find silver. Done pennies before. Now I may try the halves
You might try dimes. Between 2009-2014, I found over 1,000 silvers including a couple dozen mercs, 150+ Canadian and six Barbers. I used to sit down with $2k or more, search and dump within 2 hours. I could edge scan and re-roll $5 in dimes in less than ten seconds.

You might try dimes. Between 2009-2014, I found over 1,000 silvers including a couple dozen mercs, 150+ Canadian and six Barbers. I used to sit down with $2k or more, search and dump within 2 hours. I could edge scan and re-roll $5 in dimes in less than ten seconds.

yes, with dimes you can do edge scanning, but halves not so much...you will get the silver, perhaps, but there are some dates like 1987 that will be missed AND proofs and such. KT likes the variety of halves...some commemoratives, Proofs, etc.

Wow that is impressive. I will try dimes next.

If you are going to do $1000 in dimes, ask for a clear bag. I do $2,000 in halves a week, I rolled every one for about 4 weeks until the teller asked me if I was going to continue to bring them in. I laughed and said "if you'll let me". She said sure but could you put them in this bag (and gave me a bunch). She said after you leave I have to unwrap each roll you have rolled up and dump them into the bag (until it reaches $1000). Once at $1000 the bag is sealed and sent back for re-rolling. It saves me a ton of time. To show my appreciation, about twice a year a bring them all in bottles of wine I make. It has paid off to say the least. In this day an age saying thanks and appreciating someone goes along way. In case you wondered, Bag totals are: Pennies $50, Nickels $200, Dimes, Quarters and Halves, $1000. It is the same bag used in most Coinstar style machines. Banks have them.

I also am friends with a guy that owns several convenience drive thru's. One of them has a coin star style machine he owns. About a year and a half I asked if I could sort thru the bags when they got full, he agreed. He lets me sort thru all denominations. It's amazing what I have found in there at times, e.g. silver, proofs, errors, tokens, foreign coins, ear rings, pretty much anything that does not jam up the machine, lol. One bag of pennies had a little of 600 wheats in it! During the "covid coin shortage" I rolled a lot for him to use at his stores. He considered it a favor (to him) and let me keep whatever I found, I just had to replace at face. From my experience, I find the most silver in halves, then dimes, then nickels and lastly quarters. I have found more silver Canadian quarters than US. I assume people don't know what years were silver on Canadian coins.

Anyway, good luck !

If you are going to do $1000 in dimes, ask for a clear bag. I do $2,000 in halves a week, I rolled every one for about 4 weeks until the teller asked me if I was going to continue to bring them in. I laughed and said "if you'll let me". She said sure but could you put them in this bag (and gave me a bunch). She said after you leave I have to unwrap each roll you have rolled up and dump them into the bag (until it reaches $1000). Once at $1000 the bag is sealed and sent back for re-rolling. It saves me a ton of time. To show my appreciation, about twice a year a bring them all in bottles of wine I make. It has paid off to say the least. In this day an age saying thanks and appreciating someone goes along way. In case you wondered, Bag totals are: Pennies $50, Nickels $200, Dimes, Quarters and Halves, $1000. It is the same bag used in most Coinstar style machines. Banks have them.

I also am friends with a guy that owns several convenience drive thru's. One of them has a coin star style machine he owns. About a year and a half I asked if I could sort thru the bags when they got full, he agreed. He lets me sort thru all denominations. It's amazing what I have found in there at times, e.g. silver, proofs, errors, tokens, foreign coins, ear rings, pretty much anything that does not jam up the machine, lol. One bag of pennies had a little of 600 wheats in it! During the "covid coin shortage" I rolled a lot for him to use at his stores. He considered it a favor (to him) and let me keep whatever I found, I just had to replace at face. From my experience, I find the most silver in halves, then dimes, then nickels and lastly quarters. I have found more silver Canadian quarters than US. I assume people don't know what years were silver on Canadian coins.

Anyway, good luck !

That post was super helpful and very informative. You have the corner on the coin game by you it sounds like. I will be doing about 500 a week worth with my kiddos. I will inquire about the bag. Those five hundred dollars in quarters I just tossed in a box to deal with later. I think dimes or halves will be my next hunt. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom