Let's See Your Old Bus or Rail Tokens

Romeo7

Forum Supporter
I figure we all seen what coins look like, but Bus tokens are unique per time period and location.

I found these three Boise Bus Tokens this summer. The top one is actual a Street Car token, but I didn't know it because the back is in rough shape and I couldn't make out the lettering until I had somebody else point it out.

Post them if you got them!

-Mark

Attachments

• P0003845.jpg
    P0003845.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 4,300
I don't have any but those sure are cool, I hope to find a couple of tokens one day but until then I will enjoy all of yours. thanks for sharing.

I'll post mine when I get home tonight :). I've dug two for the Los Angeles system, and have three from when I was a kid to ride the "Spokane City Bus Lines".

Here's the only one I found so far, Romeo7.

The obverse says "GRAY LINE BUS CO". The reverse says "GOOD FOR ONE FARE". The size is slightly smaller than a quarter and it was found in Southwestern Connecticut.

Attachments

• 100_8737_cropped.jpg
    100_8737_cropped.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 4,106
Three from when I was a kid and two I dug

Here's some tokens I have. The top two are bi-metallic tokens that say on the obverse "LA" and "Los Angeles" with a city scape and two palm trees on them. The reverse says "ONE" and "Good for Base Fare" with a head-on and sideview of a bus. I think these are fairly recent.

The other three are small size tokens that were still used when I was a kid in the 80's. "Good for one fare" and "Spokane City Lines, INC" are the legends.

Attachments

• IMG_0343s.jpg
    IMG_0343s.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 3,974
My transit token....

I dug this out of the side of the driveway at my Aunts house in western PA....not sure how old it is or how it got there....

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 4,375
I dug this out of the side of the driveway at my Aunts house in western PA....not sure how old it is or how it got there....

Is it almost the size of a dime or almost the size of a quarter? The older ones were closer to dime size. I think NYC started using tokens in the 1950s. They were good for both the bus and the subway.

closer to a dime, but a hair smaller ......thanks, I have actually tried to research it but have never come up with much....I spent soooo much time cleaning this token....a few hours of cleaning time for something thats worth a few pennies :grin:

There are no bus systems here in dodge, but I do find these Wichita fare tokens from time to time.

bustoken.jpg

I found one of the Wichita tokens in my driveway on top of the ground while waiting for Dusty Eagle to pick me up for a hunt. It was probably my best find of the day and I didn't even have my detector. I had haunted that spot before with it.

Try this link out for size, it's pretty helpful: http://www.nycsubway.org/tech/tokens/ ;)
Nick

That is so neat....thanks so much.....my dad gave me one of the same size, but it's silver colored and is from the San Jose City Transit system, I am now trying to find some info on that.....any hints for my investigation(everytime I use a search engine looking for it all I get is hits from the modern transit system) Thanks:D

UPON FURTHER SEARCHING, I GOT THE INFO ON THE SAN JOSE TOKEN....

Last edited:
We have 2 CR&L bus tokens

crl.jpg crl2.jpg

Here's the information I found on them, out of an old newspaper.

fare.gif fare2.gif

and 3 NY transit tokens. We found these at the Coney Island Boardwalk.

nyc.gif

and a star token. Looks like it's for a cable car though.

startoken.jpg startoken2.jpg

We also have a NYC bridge token, and a Connecticut Toll Road token.

I located a Boise Bus Company token as well. "Good for one fare" on one side and "Boise Bus Company" on the other. The other token I found is from an amusement center named Tilt.

Attachments

• 2012-11-22 14.32.04.jpg
    2012-11-22 14.32.04.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,924
Racine Bus Token

I think this is from the 60's

Attachments

• Racine token 2 8-10-12.jpg
    Racine token 2 8-10-12.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,890
Here is one I found last month from the Eastern Cities Transit in Los Angeles.

Attachments

• eastern cities transit.jpg
    eastern cities transit.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,829
Back
Top Bottom