Equinox 800 first day of hunting and thoughts so far. UPDATE 2nd hunt

detectorben

Elite Member
Well I took the 800 out for its maiden voyage today. Spent a little time in my test garden and then headed out to a late 1800's park.

Test garden thoughts. I will say that my test garden in my yard seems to be fairly tough dirt and I do see a little EMI likely from underground power lines. I ran 800 stock settings and used park 1 and park 2 programs. The only adjustments I made were trying raising and lowering sensitivity and the reactivity or recovery speed. I found best results at 4 reactivity and 22 sensitivity. My coins are all 6 inch or less except for 1 morgan half at 8 inches. Due to my past detectors struggling with depth here I did not bury anything really deep. Overall the 800 hit everything pretty solid sound wise but the VDI was bouncing a little. My AT pro struggled with most coins in my garden. The Etrac hits everything with a pretty solid sound and FE CO numbers. I would say the numbers are slightly more stable in the garden on the Etrac but otherwise they are about the same

Now a little info on the hunting location. The park I hunted is a very popular spot for detectorists and has been pounded since the 70's. I have been hunting it for 1 year with the AT Pro with 5X8 coil stock coil and nel storm 13x14 inch coil. Then the last 2 years with Etrac stock coil and coiltek 6 inch coil. I have found about 20 silvers there over the last 3 years most of them with Etrac. Today I used the 800 in most of the usual spots I have hit many times with the other 2 detectors. I used park 2 program for most of the day as it seemed to give slightly better sound and VDI in my test garden. I ran speed or reactivity of 3 or 4 most of the day. Sensitivity was around 23 most of the time. The rest of the settings were left alone. The deepest find was a clad quarter at 8 inches. It had a good sound but the VDI was bouncing between 26-30. My best find was a 2 cent trade token that was about 6 inches. It hit a solid 18 VDI and good mid tone. I probably would not have dug that on the Etrac as it would have fallen around zinc penny signal. I dug a ton of bottle caps and screw caps as they came in pretty solid 21 to 24 which is right in the coin range. I did not see too many clues they were caps other than slightly less stable VDI on some of them. Most had sound and VDI numbers exactly like a copper penny. I did not find one dime which I found a little strange. I also dug almost every solid 13 VDI target I found along with a few 14 and 15 VDI and every single time it was a pull tab or square tab. I did not dig a single nickel. I did not dig a lot of iffy signals as I wanted to see what the solid signals came it at before I started guessing on iffy VDI and sound targets.

Obviously I have a lot to learn with this machine as far as settings and adjustments and just getting used to sounds. My initial thoughts are that my Etrac is going to be more accurate on ID of targets using combo of sound and FE CO numbers but only time will tell for sure. I just know that I rarely dig more than 1 or 2 bottle caps when using the Etrac and generally only when I am chasing iffy signals. Depth wise they seem to be pretty close so far but I will need to dig some more deep signals before I can say for sure. The deepest coin I have every dug with my Etrac was a 10inch mercury dime. The recovery speed and separation does seem to be better with the 800 stock coil vs stock coil with Etrac. I will say that the Etrac with the 6inch coiltek coil will hang with the 800 in seperation but may suffer on depth slightly.

I like the feel of swinging the 800. I do agree with others that it is slightly nose heavy. I hunted for about 8 hours and did not have any should pain just a slight fatigue in my wrist. This was my first hunt of 2018 so that could be part of the reason as well. The machine feels solid and is easy to use overall.

So I would say the 800 is going to be a deep versatile machine so I am glad I purchased it. Right now the Etrac would still be my go to machine for coin shooting in many settings but we will see if time changes that.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have about my experience and I would be glad to give my honest input and answers.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the depth meter was not very accurate at all but that is not a surprise. most of them aren't and I don't pay much attention to them anyway. The pin pointing was also a little tricky. I missed a lot of targets so I will have to figure that out. It did not seem to work how I am used to pin pointing so I will have to try and work on that. I love the wireless headphones they were comfortable and easy to pair. The sound was good as well.

Attachments

• 20180304_182524_resized.jpg
    20180304_182524_resized.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 486
  • 20180304_183504_resized.jpg
    20180304_183504_resized.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 464
  • 20180304_183454_resized.jpg
    20180304_183454_resized.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Nice first excursion.
Only thing I will say.
You need to bury some deeper coins and experiment with your speed setting.
Running 3 or 4 is tough to do in bad ground. For me anyways.

Burying deeper coins and sweeping will sniff out a better (lowest allowed to get depth) speed setting.
Recommend a nickel and a dime. You may notice a lower allowed speed setting to signal on nickel vs dime. ( Not tied as much to size (( nickel being bigger)) but nickel being lower conductive). So key on settings you come up with on dime.

Remember your Etrac really has only one filter setting, setting to ground difficult. See which speed setting on Nox gives nonferrous tone at the deepest level you can bury a dime.

Good eport

Well written, factual and honest opinion providing some good information:grin:

Nice first excursion.
Only thing I will say.
You need to bury some deeper coins and experiment with your speed setting.
Running 3 or 4 is tough to do in bad ground. For me anyways.

Burying deeper coins and sweeping will sniff out a better (lowest allowed to get depth) speed setting.
Recommend a nickel and a dime. You may notice a lower allowed speed setting to signal on nickel vs dime. ( Not tied as much to size (( nickel being bigger)) but nickel being lower conductive). So key on settings you come up with on dime.

Remember your Etrac really has only one filter setting, setting to ground difficult. See which speed setting on Nox gives nonferrous tone at the deepest level you can bury a dime.

Yeah I agree I need to bury some deeper coins and play with the settings for sure. I need to set the tone breaks up differently as well. There was not enough difference in the tones at the factory settings they just seem to blend together. I have a lot to learn about this machine and how to set it up best for my soil and conditions for sure. I am excited to play with it more.

I need to find out where nickels come in at on VDI in my soil as well. All my 13 signals ended up being pop tabs.

Well written, factual and honest opinion providing some good information:grin:
Thanks!
Still a good hunt. Think I know which park you are talking about. Am thinking about the 600 down the road. We will see.
Thanks. I'm sure you have hunted it a few times.[emoji16] The 600 might be the best bang for your buck detector on the market.
Thanks for sharing, it will be interesting to watch for sure!
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was out today at two parks and they have been torn up and redone apparently so just modern shallowish coins for me today.
I also need to play with settings more.
Getting to know this Equinox better will take time.

With the Etrac in trashy park mode, I will occasionally get fooled by aluminum bottle caps but NEVER get a signal on steel bottle caps. Also in trashy park mode, I will never get a signal on a complete pull tab, just the beaver tail part. Hopefully you figure out a way around that. Good review.

I dug a ton of bottle caps and screw caps as they came in pretty solid 21 to 24 which is right in the coin range. I did not see too many clues they were caps other than slightly less stable VDI on some of them. Most had sound and VDI numbers exactly like a copper penny. I did not find one dime which I found a little strange. I also dug almost every solid 13 VDI target I found along with a few 14 and 15 VDI and every single time it was a pull tab or square tab. I did not dig a single nickel.

This has been my concern and the main reason I did not bite on the pre-order of the Equinox. The fact that the number range is not 1-99 like my other detectors might make the VDI numbers less accurate. I had this issue with the Xterra 505 vs the Xterra 705. By compressing the number range more less desirable targets would fall into the coin range. Don't know for sure that the Equinox has that issue but seems probable given the number range. I am strictly a coinshooter and I really like an accurate VDI.

With the Etrac in trashy park mode, I will occasionally get fooled by aluminum bottle caps but NEVER get a signal on steel bottle caps. Also in trashy park mode, I will never get a signal on a complete pull tab, just the beaver tail part. Hopefully you figure out a way around that. Good review.
Yep I am in the same boat. I love the target id ability of Etrac. I very rarely dig any bottle caps. I hope I can find a way around this on Nox as well. Not sure with this VDI range if it will be possible.

The alum screw caps are solid and sound good
I dug some nickels at 13 and pulltabs
Yes the nickels could be a little tricky for me. My nickel in test garden at 6 inches bounces between 12-13 VDI. I dug a lot of pull tabs today at solid 13 or 14. Maybe I can look for 12-13 and skip anything that hits 14 at all on VDI and miss a lot of pull tabs?? Only time will tell.

Yep I am in the same boat. I love the target id ability of Etrac. I very rarely dig any bottle caps. I hope I can find a way around this on Nox as well. Not sure with this VDI range if it will be possible.

Bottle caps, the steel ones. If you sweep using 5khz after locating using Mulit freq, ID will jump several points. A nonferrous object this won't happen. Load 5khz into your user profile and use when you need to. If you have some bottle caps at home you can try and you will see.

Now the aluminum twist caps. Tone on them will be warbly, they likely will be shallower too with real strong tones and ID 20-23. ID will fluctuate too with coil movement. Takes a little practice. In fill dirt areas harder to dodge though.

Bottle caps, the steel ones. If you sweep using 5khz after locating using Mulit freq, ID will jump several points. A nonferrous object this won't happen. Load 5khz into your user profile and use when you need to. If you have some bottle caps at home you can try and you will see.

Now the aluminum twist caps. Tone on them will be warbly, they likely will be shallower too with real strong tones and ID 20-23. ID will fluctuate too with coil movement. Takes a little practice. In fill dirt areas harder to dodge though.
Thanks for the tips! Looking at my trash from today most of my caps where aluminum twist caps. Only a couple of steel caps. So I will have to listen closely to the tones and see if I can hear that difference you are talking about.

It's not possible, and this is one reason why FBS is still king for parks/modern trash coin hunting. Which is most of the FBS market.

I think the biggest market for the Nox is should be relic hunters. Minelab has a great relic machine now. They already had a good one in the X-terra 705 and this is nice evolution of the x-terra.

The real killer will be if/when they use Multi-IQ in a high-end discriminator detector that replaces the Etrac/CTX. Will be like having a Deus/CTX all in one nice light package I would guess.

It's not possible, and this is one reason why FBS is still king for parks/modern trash coin hunting. Which is most of the FBS market.

I think the biggest market for the Nox is should be relic hunters. Minelab has a great relic machine now. They already had a good one in the X-terra 705 and this is nice evolution of the x-terra.

The real killer will be if/when they use Multi-IQ in a high-end discriminator detector that replaces the Etrac/CTX. Will be like having a Deus/CTX all in one nice light package I would guess.

Hopefully my nox will do well at my secret beach location...will post finds when I go.

Good review detectorben, and could reflect my observations, so far, pretty close with a few exceptions.

The site: Of course I took the Equinox to the city park where all my live tests begin. 130+ year old park that was once a camping site on the Santa Fe Trail pre 1870's. Its use goes back to 1541 when Coronado crossed and camped at the site and records show it as an ancient trail crossing used even pre-Coronado by the local Indians. A well known stopping/Camping site used since, and by, William Becknell, thought of as the" Father of the Santa Fe Trail" when he was led to cross this ancient crossing in 1821. Sitting along side the Arkansas River it was also the site of one of only two documented authentic bull fights in North America. In fact the Park, Wright Park, was established to hold this world famous buff fight in 1883. Having see floods roughly every 30-40 years which deposited 3"-6" of soil on whatever lay on the ground, the coins are very deep in spots. Some an easy 24" deep just sine the 1930's.

As already has been said the Equinox is a dream to swing. I would say it rivals the Deus, but the Deus has the better feel. Now this is where our experiences start to drift. Perhaps just the difference in soil? I ran in both Park 1 & 2. I have roughly 7 years on the E-Trac and 2 on the CTX. I still remain undecided on a depth comparison, but it was plain to see, unfortunately, the coins weren't going to just jump out for the Equinox. So the hopes of the new Multi-IQ making old site spring to life is less likely at this point. As I said, I still remain undecided because I did feel the potential was there and maybe I just didn't have it dialed in yet,

I did feel the Target ID was better than the E-Trac and more inline with the CTX. For example on the nickles. When my NOX hit 13 and stayed there it was a nickle. All my pull tabs, square and round were a solid 15-16. It made not digging pull tabs a breeze in my experience. Lots of tones from locations that were silent with the E-Trac/CTX. Time will tell if that is good or bad. I didn't have a lot of time. Two hernias repaired on Thursday and I was out swinging on Saturday.

Love the headphone! Of course the Deus spoiled me on Wireless and the NOX phones were right there. Hit a few tot lots and it didn't take long to see It fit my needs for a tot lot detector. This could be the one to thin my heard but I need more time.

All in all very happy with the results.

Back
Top Bottom