New guy needing advice

Skoomah

Hey all,

I have been metal detecting for a few year now, but i am new to these forums. I have been try to do more researching of potential places to dig, focused on finding old houses in ohio that date back to the 1800s. While doing this, I happened to find a farm that has 3 to 5 old house locations all on one property that are no longer there. I was able to track down the land owner and found both his address and phone number. Now the question I have is this: Should I approach him in person, driving down his extremely long driveway to ask him permission to detect, or should I call him first and set up a meet and greet type thing? I have done a lot of homework on the potential sites and I don't wont to screw that up with the wrong initial approach. Do any of you have a preference when dealing with cold approaches and whether or not you had more success in person or on the phone? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

In person whenever possible.....unless you appear to be a character beyond reproach. LOL

it's much harder for someone to tell you no while looking in your eyes and a smile in your face.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

I have been mulling this over and was starting to come to the same conclusion. I was worried it would be much easier to dismiss me over the phone. Thank you for the response and welcome!

Welcome! Read some of Brother 'Beephead's posts...He is a Master of getting permission! So I'd take a gift along...like a knife or those little flashlights he likes to use...So yeah, do it in person and be relaxed...Report back...
Mud

It sounds like a great location. I saw one idea was to write him a well written letter, talk about your interest and finish by saying you will give him a call (or visit) in a couple of days to ask in person.

Hopefully he reads it and it reduces the anxiety of a stranger rolling up on him.

I wonder if talking about the history you discovered about his property is a good thing to state or might discourage him? (Open question for more experienced MDers) :?:

Take $10 to Staples and order some business cards. 500 for $10.

Always introduce yourself by handing over a card. It makes you appear legitimate and professional. The first step in getting permissions is establishing trust.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 234
Back
Top Bottom