permission request.....

007tallguy

Elite Member
so ok, a few weeks ago, i send off an email to a place (i can't really name it on here) and i requested permission to detect on the property.
the person whom i sent it to is in charge of ground maintenance, so i figured she would be the best one to ask.
of course i explained who i was, some info on my hobby and how i go about finding and recovering items, the times i'd be there, etc, etc... (and no, i didn't use the word "dig", lol).

anyway, a week later she got back to me, thanked me for my interest and said she would have to run it by her boss and discuss it with her.

that's 10 days ago and still no word back. until i actually get a "no", then i'm hoping a "maybe" or a "yes" is still possible.

my question is: how much longer should i wait before i "remind" her about my request to detect and as to whether or not they will permit me on the property?
i don't want to bug them, but does the squeeky wheel get the grease..???

this is a BIG piece of land and i even narrowed it down to a specific area where i'd like to go, not near any buildings and certainly out of the way of the general goings-on there. it's not a house, but more of a public place which is privately owned. and i KNOW it's got some great potential!!!

any thoughts..???

Pete

I'd give it a week past the date specified and then send a polite inquiry being sure not to appear pushy/squeaky in any way.

Good luck!

ya week sounds good :waiting:, then just as sweet & nice (nonthreating but not creepy ... fine line :laughing:) as you can be call to see whats up.
If there is some other reason to call ,then as an after thought "remeber" to ask about the permission before you hang up .:D
good luck.

Your mistake was that you didn't go in person. It's too easy to turn down someone who asks by email or letter (or phone call).

Listen to my podcast on getting permission, show #46 at http://thetreasurecorner.com. (If the player doesn't work, click the POD icon in the top left corner of the show title box.)

If your unable to see them in person, another letter might grease the wheel as it were. I would also explain that your not looking to sweep the whole area at this time, only a small portion, away from building and the everyday life.

This way they can come by and see what 'damages' been done to the property.

They will see nothing wrong I'm sure, but it would help motavate them to allow you to sweep the rest of the area with no one watching your every move.

A week sounds about right...

Yeah.. you need to go in person, even if you have to wait around and ambush them!

I think it goes like this for door knocking

a) personal friend = 90-95% "yeses"
b) friend of friend / referral = 80-85%
c) in person = 70-75%
d) on phone = 40-50%
e) email / facebook messaging = 20-25%

Does this jibe with others' experience?

Your mistake was that you didn't go in person. It's too easy to turn down someone who asks by email or letter (or phone call).
)

well, i wouldn't exactly call it a "mistake". i'm aware that asking in person is always better, but in this case i decided to try the email route.
the place is over an hour away and i work 10 hours/day as it is, and they're not in on the weekends, so i just thought i'd try the email thing. i've had success with others asking via email and i thought i'd try sending a note to the actual person in charge of ground maintenance, thinking that perhaps she would be the best person to be asking.

i know that this particular place is somewhat busy at this time of the year, so i'll try a little reminder note to her, just in case i ended up on the back burner to other more important matters. :yes:

Pete

well, i wouldn't exactly call it a "mistake". i'm aware that asking in person is always better, but in this case i decided to try the email route.
the place is over an hour away and i work 10 hours/day as it is, and they're not in on the weekends, so i just thought i'd try the email thing. i've had success with others asking via email and i thought i'd try sending a note to the actual person in charge of ground maintenance, thinking that perhaps she would be the best person to be asking.

i know that this particular place is somewhat busy at this time of the year, so i'll try a little reminder note to her, just in case i ended up on the back burner to other more important matters. :yes:

Pete

I would definitely call it a mistake because you only get one shot. There's a field here I researched and suspected it could be good, but we could never get anyone home. It's not really close to most of the places we'd detect but every once in a while we'd be close enough to pop by and see if anyone was home. Finally after about 6 years we finally caught someone and were given the go ahead, and it was most definitely worth the wait. It's the best site we have hit since 2009, and I would hate to think if we did the request my email or phone and got turned down we never would have got that experience. Definitely a fun day.

It sounds like you're either dealing with a large business, or sector of government, and in those cases I would expect a no. It's all about figuring out who the right person is to talk to, and tracking them down. Just for liability reasons you'll never even get one foot in the door with some, but that's how it goes. Permission is definitely an in-person thing for me.

Back
Top Bottom