• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A couple of things I've learned after first full hunt,,,,

SpeedsterX

Well, I showed my modest yet fun finds after my first day ever metal detecting, http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=28349

A few things I've learned:

Have a towel! Your hands and digging tool WILL get very dirty. Good to have an old towel hanging from your back pocket.

Professional kneepads would help. I think I will be buying a pair soon.

Heading to tot lots as soon as possible. Hunted my friends yard which has a big play area. Found all my first clad in that area.

There ARE sharp things in the ground so be careful! (my first find, an old rusty wire that was sharp at both ends/ no, I didn't get stuck but I can see how it could easily have happened).

For me at least, a pinpointer is a MUST and I am going to be ordering one ASAP!

Last but not least, digging a hole and leaving it like I found it is harder than you think! :lol:

Just a couple of things I ,as a newbie, has learned my first day and looking forward to learning alot more. :D

Great observations! You're a natural!

I would add wear gloves, bring water, and make sure your tetanus shot is current!

emdees

If you can afford it, invest in a Sunray inline probe. You will NOT be sorry!

Yup...gloves are an automatic! You'll have the ol' 250 mastered in no time. You may want to check out the DetectorPro pinpointer. They will pick up a coin at 4-6" compared to 1-2" for others. The down side to them is they don't have a vibrate option. But I think they are one of the best PP out there. To me, the difficulty of digging a hole in grass and leaving it unnoticable after retrieving target depends on the type of grass. I have bermuda in my yard and it is nearly impossible to do that. The thicker bladed grasses are much easier to me.

If you can afford it, invest in a Sunray inline probe. You will NOT be sorry!

Well, I think I'll start out on a cheaper handheld model to begin with. $180 or more seems a little much for me right now. After all, that's not much less than my actual MD. LOL!

Thanks for the advice though. I think once I get better and start getting better equipment, then I will be taking up your suggestion. Thanks!:D

Yup...gloves are an automatic! You'll have the ol' 250 mastered in no time. You may want to check out the DetectorPro pinpointer. They will pick up a coin at 4-6" compared to 1-2" for others. The down side to them is they don't have a vibrate option. But I think they are one of the best PP out there. To me, the difficulty of digging a hole in grass and leaving it unnoticable after retrieving target depends on the type of grass. I have bermuda in my yard and it is nearly impossible to do that. The thicker bladed grasses are much easier to me.

That's exactly why I want a pinpointer. I kept cutting through the plugs when I couldn't find the target in the hole. I kept making a mess and that's WITH thick grass. LOL! :lol:

I've tried gloves but always end up taking them off anyway.
I just learned right off to be careful. The place I hunt now has alot of broken glass but I've only had 2 minor cuts in the entire year that I've been hunting so I can't complain, yet.
Plenty of poison ivy too but I don't seem to get it too bad so it doesn't bother me. Just not looking forward to the swarms of squitos soon but I always apply the repellents which has it's downside too.
Wiped my Off soaked arm over my mouth once and my lips were numb for about an hour ;) Lost alot of spit that day too. Nasty taste.
My pinpointer is my hand. I take handfuls of dirt (when woods hunting, not in the grass) then wave it over my coil till my prize rings out ;)
Guess I just don't mind roughing it. All worth it to me.

I highly recommend the Garret Propointer... if you combine the detectable area on the point and shaft of the pinpointer along with the increasing tone and vibration as you near the target and its thick heavy ruggedness... it puts most other pinpointers to shame... and its only $120

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools close by, I would go there. I bought knee pads, gloves and a mesh belt for my tool pouch for $30. Can't beat Harbor Freight.

Cutting and replacing a "flap"

I'll ramble a bit...

You are right about the towel. However, most keep a towel to lay on the ground to hold extra dirt removed from the hole. See the first post in this thread...http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=20504&highlight=Leave+found

When you cut the "flap" (as opposed to a "plug"), make vertical cuts in a "horseshoe" shape around the pinpointed target (see screwdriver in thread above). The flap is then "folded" over (it's on the left of the third pic)...this keeps some of the roots attached so a lawnmower won't suck up the "plug" when it's replaced.

Cutting a plug vertically is much easier with a good digger...get a Lesche. The key word is "cutting", as opposed to the usual "mashing and tearing" that cheaper trowels do.

Once you have the flap "flapped" (lol), you can use your handheld pinpointer to determine if the target is still in the hole or in the flap. If you don't have a pinpointer yet, swing your Ace over the flap and hole to see where the target is.

If the target is still in the hole, use your digger to remove extra dirt and put it on the cloth (again, see pic #3). Now, use the pinpointer to check the dirt on the cloth, etc.

After recovery, simply pour the dirt from the cloth back in the hole and replace the flap. I usually take a lot of care replacing the flap and actually tamp it back with a couple of blows with my fist. Then I kinda "fluff up" the grass between the replaced flap and the surrounding area (see pic #4).

A word about Bermuda grass...it will die afterwards almost every time. A "flap" vs a "plug" will help somewhat, but it's the nature of the grass. (That's why golf courses with Bermuda grass have sand in the carts to fill your divots as opposed to replacing them.)

I said I was going to ramble, but learning a good method will help ensure that you don't upset the folks charged with caring for parks, etc.

I'll ramble a bit...

You are right about the towel. However, most keep a towel to lay on the ground to hold extra dirt removed from the hole. See the first post in this thread...http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=20504&highlight=Leave+found

When you cut the "flap" (as opposed to a "plug"), make vertical cuts in a "horseshoe" shape around the pinpointed target (see screwdriver in thread above). The flap is then "folded" over (it's on the left of the third pic)...this keeps some of the roots attached so a lawnmower won't suck up the "plug" when it's replaced.

Cutting a plug vertically is much easier with a good digger...get a Lesche. The key word is "cutting", as opposed to the usual "mashing and tearing" that cheaper trowels do.

Once you have the flap "flapped" (lol), you can use your handheld pinpointer to determine if the target is still in the hole or in the flap. If you don't have a pinpointer yet, swing your Ace over the flap and hole to see where the target is.

If the target is still in the hole, use your digger to remove extra dirt and put it on the cloth (again, see pic #3). Now, use the pinpointer to check the dirt on the cloth, etc.

After recovery, simply pour the dirt from the cloth back in the hole and replace the flap. I usually take a lot of care replacing the flap and actually tamp it back with a couple of blows with my fist. Then I kinda "fluff up" the grass between the replaced flap and the surrounding area (see pic #4).

A word about Bermuda grass...it will die afterwards almost every time. A "flap" vs a "plug" will help somewhat, but it's the nature of the grass. (That's why golf courses with Bermuda grass have sand in the carts to fill your divots as opposed to replacing them.)

I said I was going to ramble, but learning a good method will help ensure that you don't upset the folks charged with caring for parks, etc.

Thanks! I'm sure this will help tremendously. :)

First Day

Speed

Some observations:
1. Get a pair of GOOD gloves
2. Don't cut a plug in the grass completely around, cut 1/2 to 2/3 way around and hinge it out, you will kill the grass otherwise.
3. If you are going to be spending a lot of time on the ground wear full pants.
4. Get a detecting shovel, for yards you can get one with a very thin blade.

Tim

I always put my towel on the ground and prop one knee down on it. It saves on the aggrevation of extra gear to carry and straps around your legs.

Back
Top Bottom