Sliver, Silver and More Silver

LostNowFound

I have been watching metal detecting videos on YouTube, where guys are finding 3 to 4 or more silver coins, (mostly silver dimes), in one days hunt.

Is this a common experience?

One hunting buddy told me he finds one silver coin every three years.

How much sliver can someone realisticly expect to find for every 100 hours of hunting?

There is no silver "formula". Basically boils down to: If you run your coil over silver and dig it up, you found silver. If you don't, you don't.

I can tell you since getting my Etrac my finds quality has increased dramatically. I'll go to places I've hunted out or others have and still pull some. Before my Etrac my total silver was six dimes through september. I found that much in one day with my Etrac and if I'm at a spot I would expect to find silver, I have not gone home skunked yet.

I don't now why it is but I find dimes a lot, it might be because of its size,its easily dropped. I've found four silvers this year so far.To up your odds to finding silver hunt in old sites.

I have been watching metal detecting videos on YouTube, where guys are finding 3 to 4 or more silver coins, (mostly silver dimes), in one days hunt.

Is this a common experience?

One hunting buddy told me he finds one silver coin every three years.

How much sliver can someone realisticly expect to find for every 100 hours of hunting?
It depends on what kind of detector you use, how much experience you have, where you hunt, and whether or not you are willing to dig holes. If you don't dig, you will, in my experience at least, find few if any silver coins. The US stopped making silver coins in 1964 (except for Kennedy halves, which were 40% silver until 1969). They will generally be at least 4" deep, typically deeper, unless the ground has been disturbed.
I found 53 silver coins last year. This year, I have 19 to date. My best luck has been at old parks and schools.

It is common for some people to find 3 or 4 silvers in a day. But it is all about location and knowing your machine. The E-Trac is a good silver machine now you just need to find a place that has the silver. If you find an area with wheat pennies you will probably find silver. I find silver about half the time I hunt but I try to only hunt places I know have silver. I have found as many as 8 silver dimes in one day but have found 3 or 4 several times, usually one or two if any.

Quality finds come from quailty time at quality locations. No matter how much time you spend at a site, you aren't going to find silver if it isn't there. No matter how much silver is there, you're not goibng to find it if you don't spend time looking. Spend enough time at sites likely to produce, and you *will* find the silver.

A case study - I found a total of 3 silver coins last year, but a bunch of silver and gold jewelry. I spent a lot of time hunting modern parks. This year I'm at 9 silver coins this year, but only 1 gold and much less silver jewelry. Reason being? I've found older sites more likely to produce silver coins, and neglected the totlots. I've also beaten last years oldest coin by about 100 years, and have many more amazing relics to show for my work, too. My personal best has been 2 silver dimes and 1 silver ring in a single hunt, but motly they come one at a time. Some people will have amazing honeyholes and pull 3-4 or more silver coins a hunt for a while, but they all eventually dry up. Those are the good days, and we all have them, but cherish them as they can be fleeting.

Don't like what you're finding? Find a quality site and spend some quality time there! Good luck and happy hunting!

went years without anything silver, made a big hit in February, and no silver since.

my hunting partner generally finds a silver ring at least twice a year but no silver coins for years now.

either silver is where you find it, or someone is salting their video finds.....

I find about 5 coppers to 1 silver. I almost always hunt fields where houses once stood.
This year i have 4 large cents, 11 indianheads, 1 seated dime, 1 merc. I dont count wheats or any nickels

Every time I hit my Beach "HOTSPOT" I pull 3 to 4 silver dimes. So, for me, yeah it is common. Once I go somewhere else it drops to maybe 1 if I am lucky. WOLF

No saltwater beaches anywhere near me, but I've heard tell that there were some swimming spots back years ago on the Rio Grande. Today the river is just a shadow of its former self due to irrigation water being drawn from it......

Dusty

Attachments

• 002[1].jpg
    002[1].jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 283
As real estate agents say....it's all location...location...location. If you go to a place where 45 plus years ago people routinely gathered with change in their pockets...you'll find silver. I hit the local library and found some books on my small town. On pictures alone, I found an old factory that had people lounging on the lawn during lunch breaks. I got permission and pulled more than a 20 silvers over the past 2 years.

First of all I am really new to this about 70 hours on my ace 150 some really neat cool finds so far but NO SILVER at all yet wish I could have told you that I find them every time I go out but no sorry

old sites where people gathered=silver
old virgin sites where people gathered = jackpot:yes:

Finding silver in my area is very difficult because it has been pounded to death for years, no matter where you go or how far back in. Did finally have my first 3 silver day just a few weeks ago and topped it off with a large cent. All these came from the yard of a house built in 1948, go figure....

I hunt mainly old parks that have been hunted a lot, so I don't expect multiple silver days. I'm happy with one every 6 or 7 hunts. One factor is that I only hunt 3 hours at a time max, usually more like two hours. Some people with more silver finds are hunting 7 or 8 hours at a time. If I can find three or more wheats during a hunt, I figure I have a chance for silver in the area. My silver finds went up once I got the Explorer, but that just may be a coincidence, since I didn't really have my previous detector for a long time (about one year). I guess it's all about managing your expectations. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom