Weird weather

hoser

Forum Supporter
Morning all. Just wanted to say how crazy this weather has been in northern lower Michigan. I have been detecting since the end of February and I have never had that chance before. Always the end of March or first of April. It has been in the 40's almost every day, and we have found two silvers already. I'm just grateful we haven't had what the two coasts have been having. The crazy part is I hunt during the day, and am out on the lake ice at night catching Smelt. Like having two seasons at once.:p:D

Southern Ohio has been the same. I had 20 degrees one day then next evening it was in the 70's. Never see 70's in Feb. Can't figure out if I'm wearing shorts or a winter coat 1 day to the next.

Morning all. Just wanted to say how crazy this weather has been in northern lower Michigan. I have been detecting since the end of February and I have never had that chance before. Always the end of March or first of April. It has been in the 40's almost every day, and we have found two silvers already. I'm just grateful we haven't had what the two coasts have been having. The crazy part is I hunt during the day, and am out on the lake ice at night catching Smelt. Like having two seasons at once.:p:D

Catching smelt? We smelt dipped in Port Huron when I was a kid. Used long handled nets and a rope. Never tried to catch one! Got tired of cleaning them and stopped. used to use scissors to make it faster.

I can't wait to get my boat in the water in lake St Clair. I have a date with some gold.

Congrats on your silvers. I found one so far. Not much longer before we get spring.

It has either been snow or constant rain. Back to snow again and frozen ground, Drat and double drat!, here in NW PA

Catching smelt? We smelt dipped in Port Huron when I was a kid. Used long handled nets and a rope. Never tried to catch one! Got tired of cleaning them and stopped. used to use scissors to make it faster.

I can't wait to get my boat in the water in lake St Clair. I have a date with some gold.

Congrats on your silvers. I found one so far. Not much longer before we get spring.
Yep that's how we used to do it...........back then.:lol: You can still dip them IF you can find a good spot. The other drawback is years ago you could go out and fill the back of a pickup if you were so inclined. But now the limit is only two gallons. They are fun catching through the ice, and can be a challenge for sure. I too am getting the itch to do some water hunting. I live on the Ausable river and I plan on searching the spots where canoe people have mishaps. A lot of gold is lost to the river here.

It has either been snow or constant rain. Back to snow again and frozen ground, Drat and double drat!, here in NW PA
Hang in there, spring is getting close................right??:?: Yesterday the wife and I went hunting in an old campground. Strange part is you could dig soft ground in one spot, and two feet in either direction would be hard as a rock.:?::wow:

Yep that's how we used to do it...........back then.:lol: You can still dip them IF you can find a good spot. The other drawback is years ago you could go out and fill the back of a pickup if you were so inclined. But now the limit is only two gallons. They are fun catching through the ice, and can be a challenge for sure. I too am getting the itch to do some water hunting. I live on the Ausable river and I plan on searching the spots where canoe people have mishaps. A lot of gold is lost to the river here.

Limit is two gallons? WOW. We filled up trash cans when I was in high school.

Ausable is an awesome river. I have been picking up camping gear this winter and plan on doing some excursions up north and out westward to hunt new places. I was at Rifle river this last summer and snagged a couple gold while diving. The wading water was cleared out.

Hope you do well. Michigan is a great place to play.

Ausable is an awesome river. I have been picking up camping gear this winter and plan on doing some excursions up north and out westward to hunt new places. I was at Rifle river this last summer and snagged a couple gold while diving. The wading water was cleared out.

Well Scuba if you get up this way let me know and maybe I can direct you to some potential hunting spots. Yep Michigan is a good place to play, hot or cold.;)

Wow, what do you do with trashcans full of smelt? Sell ‘em? They must have really ‘smelt’ after a couple of days 🤮

Wow, what do you do with trashcans full of smelt? Sell ‘em? They must have really ‘smelt’ after a couple of days 🤮
HAHAHA those days are long gone. It wasn't hard to get rid of them either. A few phone calls and a lot of people would come for some free fresh smelt. ;)

Back
Top Bottom