42" Silver Chain w/ Bull Dog Attached

Leave-No-Coins-Behind

Forum Supporter
Today, I stumbled onto a newly dedicated mini park that was converted over from a vacant house lot. Found about $4.00 in Clad.

But the prize was a 42" long silver/.925, Italy chain with a bull dog medallion attached to it. The VDI screen between my ears gave a funky signal to it, therefore it was time to dig!

As I dug down a few inches, I found a rusted hanger about 8" long right next to a section of the silver chain. That I am sure what was masking the silver from other prior machines who possibly searched the area. As I pulled on the chain, thinking it would be like only 10" long...it just kept on coming out from being tangled within the grass roots to finally as the hole got larger the attached bull dog medallion came out too. I thought it was never going to end.

Upon further inspection when I got home, the bull dog is silver in color and possibly gold plated at one time or silver plated, as there are no grade markings on it. It is not magnetic either. The chain alone weights approx. 35.5 grams. The dog medallion weights approx. 44.5 grams for a combined grand weight total of 80 grams.

Again, as we know, many times those best finds are those that are masked by junk. See attached photos.

Attachments

• Coin Finds 08272017 001.jpg
    Coin Finds 08272017 001.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 432
  • Coin Finds 08272017 002.jpg
    Coin Finds 08272017 002.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 411
  • Coin Finds 08272017 003.jpg
    Coin Finds 08272017 003.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 418
  • Coin Finds 08272017 004.jpg
    Coin Finds 08272017 004.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 411
  • Coin Finds 08272017 005.jpg
    Coin Finds 08272017 005.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Now that's a big chain!!!!! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks coin whisperer...Its the longest chain I ever found.

+1 on that!! Great find!

Thanks NCToad...Luck was with me on that one.

Congrats! That's nearly a rope! :)

Thanks X-Terra70...I was just glad I did not cut it with my shove when I went in with that first shovel full of dirt.

How could someone lose that? Be like losing a body part.

I was thinking the same thing Gauntlet...and I am sure it took years for it to get covered with cut grass over and over again.

Congrats!

Great find! Necklaces don't show up often!

Thanks cellrdwellr...I am still not sure what the bull dog is made up off..it does seem to have a small bit of corrosion at its feet.

Awesome find man, if it's got to be silver at least it's hefty!

Thanks zeemang...The chain seems to be .925 as marked, but I am not sure what the medallion is made of.

Gonna melt or sell? I'd try to sell for $100.00

That bull dog looks like the bull dog on a Mack Truck hood ornament

Like they say,,,, WHO LET THE DOG OUT ,,,, Congrats on the dog on leash find

Wow, that's a decent length of rope!!!!

Thanks guys for all your comments. It is always interesting the things that are found. As for this piece, for now I just tossing it in with my other silver items.

What a chain?

And a dog to boot.

Extremely nice find.

Thanks tnsharpshooter...Even without this dog...I can still probably use it as a leash for a chihuahua.

Congrats

Nice chunk of silver, congrats!

Thanks Jamflicker...More likely the chain is silver as marked and I am not certain what the dog medallion is.

Got pick that nit Jak, looks like the chain is 38 inches long according to your photo and tape measure.

It's still a great find. HH

Thanks for the challenge with the math or photo representation...but how did you come up with 38"?

It's 21" x 2 = 42" and for your comment, you win the dill-hole award:mad:

Thanks matmit...that's what I came up with too. Perhaps just an honest mistake there...

Congraulations on such an amazing huge find!

Thanks again matmit...It was the longest chain of any metal that I ever found. Hopefully, the medallion has some silver in...but I am skeptical on that one.

Thanks for the challenge with the math or photo representation...but how did you come up with 38"?

Thanks matmit...that's what I came up with too. Perhaps just an honest mistake there...

It was indeed an honest mistake. Thanks Matmit for pointing it out so nicely. GFY

Back
Top Bottom