Locket of Hair in Compact Case 1780-1860

Danny T

Elite Member
Hey All,

I found an old compact case with a locket of hair in it. It was deep at 12+ and rang in the high 90's. A woman who has some knowledge around this type of relic (it has a hand painted design on the lid) dates it between the late 1700's to mid 1800's.

I have featured this find on my new podcast, "Life Underground". If you'd like to hear it the link is: http://life-underground.blubrry.net

Thanks looking and hopefully, listening too!

Best,
Danny T

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 372
How neat! I'm kind of surprised that it's a happy looking piece but I'm used to seeing very somber and kind of sad mourning lockets that hold hair. I like that one :yes: Congrats

That's definitely the first such post I've seen. Very cool.
Maybe Ancestry.com can test it??

cool find......

That's a once in a lifetime Very Very Rare find....BIG Congrats on that one

Mourning jewelry, not an uncommon practice in the past. I have seen may examples of this, including a locket containing my Great Grand Fathers hair. Very interesting find and I have never seen or heard of one recovered metal detecting. Often these were wore in a heart shaped locket. Very cool find. What is the base metal ?

I believe it is brass. Cool that you have had some from your family . . .

Mourning jewelry, not an uncommon practice in the past. I have seen may examples of this, including a locket containing my Great Grand Fathers hair. Very interesting find and I have never seen or heard of one recovered metal detecting. Often these were wore in a heart shaped locket. Very cool find. What is the base metal ?

Back
Top Bottom