• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Unusual rife casing

shedncoin

Found three of these casings in different locations of a forest I was hunting. Found them along an old road that was on old maps from about 1880-1930's. I don't think these are that old, but I've never seen a double necked down case before. Couldn't even Google one. Looks to be a 30 cal. parent case. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• 1491083591312505111992.jpg
    1491083591312505111992.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 531
  • 1491083607219862005122.jpg
    1491083607219862005122.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 510
cool finds.
i think that one is a dummy round - just goes bang, no projectile.

thats my opinion - i may be wrong (usually am :D)

I thought of that, but the only image of a blank or dummy round looked like this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170401-182538.jpg
    Screenshot_20170401-182538.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 462
  • Screenshot_20170401-182554.jpg
    Screenshot_20170401-182554.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 453
I'm fairly certain that it is a blank round. Before the star crimping, they used to use just a paper wad in the end with a slight roll crimp on the end, as I recall. It might be from a military exercise, or a funeral ceremony.

I suppose it is possible that it is a wildcat cartridge--there were a lot of them made due to surplus 30-06 ammo availability.

heres a few that resemble yours -

picture.php

picture.php

I think you found them. I wonder if the crimping is blown round after firing it, or it had a paper wad. Either way I thinking a blank round. Very odd place to find them, wonder why they ended up in those woods.
Thanks for the help all.

I think you found them. I wonder if the crimping is blown round after firing it, or it had a paper wad. Either way I thinking a blank round. Very odd place to find them, wonder why they ended up in those woods.
Thanks for the help all.

It had a paper wad. Depending on the application, or the time period, blanks were either crimped or had a paper wad. The crimped ones do open up, but not that cleanly and not with a rolled neck like that. Google image search 7.62 blank paper and you will see plenty of examples.

I'm fairly certain that it is a blank round. Before the star crimping, they used to use just a paper wad in the end with a slight roll crimp on the end, as I recall. It might be from a military exercise, or a funeral ceremony.

I suppose it is possible that it is a wildcat cartridge--there were a lot of them made due to surplus 30-06 ammo availability.

They were making both crimped and paper wad blanks as far back as WW2. Obviously we know the date of this one. Paper wad blanks in 7.62 (that is not a .30-06) were made well past Vietnam.

They were making both crimped and paper wad blanks as far back as WW2. Obviously we know the date of this one. Paper wad blanks in 7.62 (that is not a .30-06) were made well past Vietnam.

Lake City 1968, yeah that would be 7.62--I didn't really look at the stamp before now. Good catch.

Somehow I ended up with a paper wad blank back in the 1960's, that's how I recognized it.

Lake City 1968, yeah that would be 7.62--I didn't really look at the stamp before now. Good catch.

Somehow I ended up with a paper wad blank back in the 1960's, that's how I recognized it.

They were still pumping out '06 ammo in bulk into the 70's, it was just the size ratio that gave away that it was 7.62

I believe they even still do limited runs of blanks at LC for the honor guards or whatever they're called, since the older stuff ran out.

Back in the 60's there was a training exercise I think called "operation swift strike" in S Carolina. They fired thousands of those down here. I had a live one or two but they were lost in moving. joe

Where were you hunting that you found 250 machine gun blanks?

in a pre-80s era military training facility that is no longer military land. found lots of ammo and used and unused .223 blanks. I didn't dig all of them... it got boring after a while... and i think theres another 100 or so chaingun ammo left but i'm only going to link to a box and leave the rest for someone else to find in the future. I just need to find 1 more blank of 30-06 to fill my clip.

Pretty difficult to reload military cases due to Berdan(?) Primers. Not impossible I suppose, just never seen the tool sold, known anyone to do so, or even seen it talked about on the reloading forums.

Haven't reloaded in about 5 years, but this brass was simply recycled for brass at the club I use to belong to and shoot at. One of the members used to build wildcat rifles and was always experimenting, actually he was the guy who developed and made the 7mm STE, and he was a Brass hoarder.

I started my military service in 1964. I used every rifle from the M1 Garand through the M-16. That is a blank from an M-14 or an M-60 machine gun used for training. There is no projectile. The M1 blank wasn't taperd and just had a paper seal in the end of the cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom