No gold

Rockdawg420

Hey was up I've been detecting for 3 years over 1000 hours and never found any gold . Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?
Equipment excal2

Hey was up I've been detecting for 3 years over 1000 hours and never found any gold . Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?
Equipment excal2

There is a possibility that you never got your coil over some but considering the time spent I assume that is not true...there might have been at least a few.
Could be where you hunt, your settings or exactly what kinds of signals you tend to skip.

Gold is the ninja of all metals, it is the master of disguise and tends to hide in sites where it can use this ability to its advantage...like really trashy areas.
I have dug 35 gold targets in about 6.5 seasons and only on one did I know 100% I was swinging over gold before I dug it.
Out of all of those there was only 2 or three that came in as a good target, a dead on nickel, and I still didn't know it was gold till I dug them.
All the rest were trash signals from foil up to lower zinc and every one was a surprise.

Some were down averaged because of masking trash in the vicinity, using my F70 one or two were up averaged because they were near iron and this rig tends to do that.
All of them I dug because they stayed within my strict digging rules of digging pretty much the most solid targets I come across as all the gold I dug so far acted that way.
All were 5" or less in depth, really deep gold can act differently.

I dug all of these in public sites like parks and a few others and I learned to target higher percentage areas where gold might be found.
Even a tiny edge can be huge in this biz.
Public parks....many in open areas and that might be considered luck.
In those public parks areas around volleyball and especially basketball courts...over a dozen came from sites like those.
Also around picnic pavilions, ya got to go where most if the people hang out.
I also found many in an outside the box thinking kind of site, those grass, pebble and chip filled islands that they sometimes have dividing up large parking lots.
High schools and colleges were the best for this but any public sites can hold many targets.

Most of these sites have one thing in common...lots and lots of trash.
I dig more trash at these higher percentage sites than I do at my regular ones but using logic you can see why.
He who does the work gets the reward.

Of course if you live near any kind of a beach, older swimming hole or other water sites where people play these can be the best sites of all.

Ahhhh....since I see now this is in the beach and water hunting forum I would have to say forget all that dirt hunting stuff and yea....something's wrong.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound right. Maybe you need a better beach? What are your settings? The Excal is easy to set up. Disc at 1, sens as high as possible to run smooth and full volume.

Not worried yet.

1000 hours isn't much. If you go another 1000, then I'd be worried.

Yes something may be wrong. If I go 10 hours of water hunting without finding gold I get really really irritated. Change beaches, air test your Excal, check your discrimination. Start hunting in pinpoint then ck target in disc. Mode. HH phil

Whats your setting? As you turn up your sensitivity when in disc can you hear it getting unstable? I agree..... air test it with some gold in both disc and PP. Im not like Phil, golds been a bear to find this year ..... but a thousand hours and 3 years hunting you should have found some gold unless you are hunting in your back yard. My coils stays on the sand...... if you are swinging a foot off the ground or like a golfer ..... theres your problem. If you are finding things like nickels and foil then the machine is in the right range. Bounce around active beaches.

Dew

I just dug my first gold ring on Saturday and the only reason I found it was because I decided to dig every signal in one small area. I had a feeling :)

Sometimes it's just hard to find. Maybe some other pirates are hitting your beach/areas and scooping it all up before you get there?

Dew, This has been a tough yr for me too. Let's just say the finds have been small and i have been irritated more then usual.
HH, phil

Whats your setting? As you turn up your sensitivity when in disc can you hear it getting unstable? I agree..... air test it with some gold in both disc and PP. Im not like Phil, golds been a bear to find this year ..... but a thousand hours and 3 years hunting you should have found some gold unless you are hunting in your back yard. My coils stays on the sand...... if you are swinging a foot off the ground or like a golfer ..... theres your problem. If you are finding things like nickels and foil then the machine is in the right range. Bounce around active beaches.

Dew

Equipment excal2

Check your machine. Use your own gold / silver to test and ensure the machine is working.

Change your beach. There are plenty of beaches by us, but not all of them get tourists. The locals often leave their valuables at home or are used by college kids that just don't have money to spend on jewelry.

Change your schedule. People hunt day and night, high and low tide. Maybe targets are getting scooped up by the competition before you make it out.

H/H, -David

Phil...... we have noticed this is the year for more junk rings, last year seemed to be the smaller gold...... maybe the big ones will come next year.:lol: Ive talked to a lot of hunters here in the Gulf...... its just been an odd sanded year. The ladies seems to be doing well. GL up there.....

Dew

Gold is very elusive and skittish...if it thinks you are after it, it will burrow down deeper into the sand as you approach like a little crab sensing a stingray...

So, you gotta sort of sneak up on it...Next time you go out, act as if you are just looking for pulltabs, nickels, pennys, scraps of wire, and foil...whistle a little happy tune to lull it into a relaxed state, then BOOM! There you are you piccolo player!!:laughing:
Mud

Gold is very elusive and skittish...if it thinks you are after it, it will burrow down deeper into the sand as you approach like a little crab sensing a stingray...

So, you gotta sort of sneak up on it...Next time you go out, act as if you are just looking for pulltabs, nickels, pennys, scraps of wire, and foil...whistle a little happy tune to lull it into a relaxed state, then BOOM! There you are you piccolo player!!:laughing:
Mud

Especially pulltabs. I was looking for pulltabs and found two rings in my first 20 hours with the CZ 21.

Especially pulltabs. I was looking for pulltabs and found two rings in my first 20 hours with the CZ 21.

Yeah right Top? Even though my reply could be mistaken as a joke..it is not...Gold is a Cruel Mistress...All last year I was in a tremendous gold slump...a guy has to be hitting those tab,nickel,foil,zinc,wire signals, and if a fellow hunts for them, eventually gold shows up and he will never get discouraged either!:laughing:
Mud

Yeah right Top? Even though my reply could be mistaken as a joke..it is not...Gold is a Cruel Mistress...All last year I was in a tremendous gold slump...a guy has to be hitting those tab,nickel,foil,zinc,wire signals, and if a fellow hunts for them, eventually gold shows up and he will never get discouraged either!:laughing:
Mud

I guess my post had a bit of sarcasm. But yes the point I learned from all the experts here, other forums and in books; is that I had better be digging those pulltabs or I'll never see a piece of gold. I tend to follow instructions like that when I have no other experience to go on.

I'm due to give the Gulf another try next week as I will be at my time share in St. Pete so leave me some gold locals! HH, phil

Back
Top Bottom