First outing with the Surfmaster DF PI

kered

Not such a good day weather wise but i wasn't worried about the rain:lol:, in the end i was happy it was cool as i did some digging, sweating and cursing.
Nearly 4 hours in all and i'm knackered.
I didn't go in the water but followed the tide down, and i used Craigs setting, see http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=20734

This area i have gone over with the SE recently, the coins are mostly low value coated iron discs that the SE nulls on(so i leave them), most of the bottletops and ringpulls were fresh and mostly in the same place within a few yards(probably a recent midnight party) the rest is discriminated out on the SE as its mostly iron based.

First impresions.
Not very impressed with it at all, its early days but i didn't gain any depth over the SE and SEF coil, i've had coins at 15" with it no problem. I had some targets that i had to give up on as they disapeared once i started digging(missed my Sunray probe which would have helped) these were all wisper type other than one, but repeatable.
The booby pin sound i have learned but dug to make sure just in case, I also dug some that didn't give the double blip when one way and single the other but a strong signal both ways.
The bottle tops, hmmm, very very similar to the 1 and 2€ coins(as they a bimetal) and sometimes give a double blip one way when on edge although not grainey but smooth. I also had a bag of foil/aluminium wrappers that i deposited in the bin before leaving the beach.

Noise. I found it very hard to distinguish the grainny sound on iron as the threshold is very chattery, although i noticed it on some of the shallower targets(which i dug all the same just in case)
All in all i think its gona take some time to become proficient in the sounds of things even though i'm used to it on the sovereign and SE,(maybe thats a hinderence not a help) time will tell.
The headphones are ok but nothing compared to my Sunray gold Pro's

Highlight of the morning was a silver wedding band and a total $9.37 in clad between the €'s and old pesetas

On the good side the machine is very light even though i have the zero boyancy yellow coil I could swing it all day(out of the water), fast swing compared to the Minelabs, i tried swinging as fast as i could over some targets just to see and it didn't lose them, although i didn't use this speed it was just a test.
I did go into the surf to see how the reported falsing was, not a wisper as the waves passed and the coil seems to cut the water so smoothly it seems like its on rails(no flapping either)
Its waterproof or so it says on the label :lol:

So all in all a hard morning, we'll persivere and see how the next outing goes, 4 hours is not time to learn, get used to a machines quirks, or make a final decision.
I'll keep you posted

Attachments

• PI 002.jpg
    PI 002.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 682
  • PI 003.jpg
    PI 003.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 678
Keep The Faith!

CRAIG WOULD NOT STEER YOU IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.HE KNOWS THE PI'S LIKE THE BACK OF HIS HAND.I HAVE A PI PRO AND YOU KINDA SOUND LIKE ME THE WAY YOU DESCRIBED YOUR STORY.:lol: BUT YEAH YOU AT LEAST RECOGNIZE THAT 4 HOURS IS NOT NEARLY ENOUGH TIME TO GET THIS MACHINE DOWN.MAYBE FOR CRAIG 4 HOURS IS ENOUGH :lol:BUT, FOR US NOVICES;) I DON'T THINK IT IS.
KEEP AT IT,KEEP THE FAITH,AND REMAIN DETERMINED!
I HAVE A BEACH HUNTER ID-300 AND I LOVE IT! STILL NEED TO GET BACK TO THE SALT WATER AND WORK MY PI PRO ALOT MORE(HINT HINT CRAIG):lol:
TAKE CARE KERED AND LOOK FORWARD TO WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO PULL WITH THIS MACHINE.HEY YA GOT RID OF ALOT OF JUNK ALREADY.KEEP CLEANING THAT PLACE OUT!
DAVE

Kered... a PI is certainly not for everyone and to be honest I like it that way because if everyone used a PI there wouldn't be much left... most of our beaches are hunted by quite a few PI hunters so we don't have loads of trash or bobbiepins on the beaches we hunt... You really need to hunt with a PI more than a few times to get the feel of it... I remember the first week I owned a PI and I hated it as I was digging up rusty little staples a foot down... I was ready to throw the detector in the water and forget about it... now I won't touch a VLF in the wet sand or water... you really need to listen hard through the chatter for the deep whispers which are almost a break in the threshold... One more thing... I like a chattery threshold ;)

Round 2

Had a couple of hours spare so i gave it another go on a different beach, i'm getting the boobypin sound but some still fooled me, although i left a few as time was short.
Plenty of old trash foil, and rusty can bases.

I also dug these stones, probably ore of some kind, when i got home i tried them on the Explorer SE and got a 00-31 reading(fe-Co), maybe i found a silver mine :lol:

I must add that its very sensative to small items

Attachments

• PI 001.jpg
    PI 001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 504
  • PI 002.jpg
    PI 002.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 511
  • PI 005.jpg
    PI 005.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 496
  • PI 004.jpg
    PI 004.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 501
Thanks for the post. Very informative for sure. I now know that, if I ran a PI here in my freshwater lakes, I would not travel more than 20 feet without having dug a thousand holes.

If I ever move near the beach, then I will get a PI as I ran my BHID in All Metal 90% of the time the last time I visited the beach in Galveston, TX. I did not mind digging all the targets I found since they were few and far between compared to the lakes I hunt.

Go out again. I like to see your pictures. :yes: In fact, I now carry my camera every time I go out. I never did this until I joined up with you guys. It makes the hunting experience even that much more fun as I know you can appreciate the effort and finds compared to my wife who just says, "Coins and a silver chain? That's nice."

Coolwhips :cool:

Kered are you hunting the dry sand with your PI? I rarely dig the bottom of cans because the sound alone tells me its junk... with a can bottom the sound is long instead of short and narrow with a ring or coin... look at it this way you're doing a fine service cleaning up that beach lol...

Kered are you hunting the dry sand with your PI? I rarely dig the bottom of cans because the sound alone tells me its junk... with a can bottom the sound is long instead of short and narrow with a ring or coin... look at it this way you're doing a fine service cleaning up that beach lol...

about 80% wet sand, the way the tides are at the moment i followed the tide down, i'm digging all on purpose to prove to myself what things are, its too early to start leaving things as yet, just in case, but before i dig i decide what it is, not often right but getting better. I also need the exercise :lol:

The best way to discriminate is once its dug, either in the goodies bag or in the trash, almost foolproof:yes:

Another thing to take into considertion is i'm the only one detecting arround here, no one else to share the dirty work, i get the goodies but the crap too.
we'll try again tomorrow.

If you get a chance, take a picture of your beach. I'd like to see it. No need for incriminating land marks. I have no use for them. I just like to see what others are dealing with.

Thanks.

Whips

If you get a chance, take a picture of your beach. I'd like to see it. No need for incriminating land marks. I have no use for them. I just like to see what others are dealing with.

Thanks.

Whips

try this http://www.raz.es/ click on the webcams top right.
You'll have to check the time as i'm in Spain and it may be dark, we are GMT +2 hours at the moment

Back
Top Bottom