Dont talk to strangers

ericp501

I can't believe how often I have young children come up to me and just start talking to me.. No parents around, I'll all of a sudden look up from my hole and see some 11yo on his bike asking me what I'm looking for. I tell them I'm metal detecting, if they keep talking I say "Didn't your parent's teach you not to talk to strangers?".. if they don't go away, I leave. How do you guys handle this?

If they are nice and don't get in my way, I usually let them hang around. I also usually give them my clad as well. I almost always hunt in small town parks. Kids from small towns still seem to be respectful and have manners, so who am I to be a grump if they are genuinely interested in what I am doing.

Only bothers me when they start sticking their fingers in the hole trying to steal my finds.

The only time I give the kids my clad is when I'm hunting on private property. I always hand it over with 2 rules. If you have a sibling, they get half. The other rule is you MUST save half of what I give you and you can spend the other half on whatever they want. Whether they actually do this is beyond me, but if I can get one young kid to start saving vs what society preaches these days (be a debt slave and good little consumer), I figure it's a job well done.

I guess its just jersey children.. I had one kid pickup my detector when I placed it down to dig, had another one ask to hold my pin pointer and when I said no he reached for it anyway, they get right down next to me when I dig and I'm always worried I'm going to shovel their hands. I also don't want to look like the creepy metal detecting guy who hangs out with all the 10 and 11 year olds :laughing:

Strangers

Kids find it fascinating that the machine can find metal. I don't mind them hanging around if they respect my rules. Had a 20-something follow me around one day being all nicey-nice and after I got tired of being pestered by him and decided to move on he asked to borrow five bucks. I was 60 miles from home then.....borrow?

aint no reason to be mean to em or anything I can understand if ya get a pile of em around ya and cant control the situation of where everyones at or if they are gonna get hurt. but to have a kid come up to ya and say what ya doin and you just send em off then your not being the good steward that we are supposed to be. at one time or another we all were kids that saw someone metal detecting and wanted to do it. how many kids gonna get hooked on metal detecting if a grumpy fella runs em off for askin what there doin. forgive me if it steps on ya toes a little but its only right ya aint gotta give em everything ya got or cater to em but it don't hurt for em to watch ya a little. it sends a message to the public when that kid runs up to there moms or dads and says that mean old man over there ran me off from what he was doing. if ya got probs with people bein round ya then id say the parks are the wrong places for you to be huntin on

I try not to go when the park is full. I avoid the crowds if I can and never hunt a tot lot if there are kid(s) playing. Same way I wouldn't detect between woman in bikinis laying on the beach ;)

I've never had much of a problem. Most people that are detecting are pretty nice to me.

I try not to go when the park is full. I avoid the crowds if I can and never hunt a tot lot if there are kid(s) playing. Same way I wouldn't detect between woman in bikinis laying on the beach ;)

Love it !

You would if you had an Ace 250.

A couple a month ago I was detecting a tot lot and a woman showed up with a little girl about 4 or 5 and an infant. They weren't bothering me so I kept hunting. The little girl came over and climbed up on a swing not far from where I was hunting and asked, "Mister, can you push me?" Right away I said "No, that's something your mom should do for you." and then started moving away from the swing set. Within a couple of minutes the mom came over to push her. I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but I'm not stupid.

A couple weeks later a boy and his dad came up to me while I was detecting in a different park. The kid was mostly polite and showed a genuine interest so I described what I was doing. He wandered off for a few minutes and then came back without his dad. I handed him a very small pewter statue I found in between his visits and he looked at it then stuck it in his pocket saying, "I'll wash it off when I get home." I must have had the biggest look of shock on my face he's ever seen when I said, "I'm just letting you look at it, I'm not giving it to you!"

Try to be nice and they take advantage. Don't be nice and you're the creepy old guy. We can't win.

I tell them I don't have candy,but the strange guy over by that van does ( I kid) If they quiet and decent, they can foloow for a bit, just a bit.. maybe get some clad or a wheat. If they annoying, I just tell them to leave me alone

I've (almost) raised 6 kids so I may be more used to that than others. A few weeks ago a brother and sister ended up with my F2, pinpointer and digger for about 1/2hr in the park. He was around 11, her maybe 12 and both were well behaved. They had fun and so did I really, kinda miss younger kids, these two were at the point where they didn't know everything yet. Maybe in a few years.....:lol:

Back
Top Bottom